Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2021, 14:43   #1
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

The Cost Of Going Green?

Walkers crisps have now replaced the plastic packaging for their multi-packets of crisps. They now come in completely recyclable cardboard boxes, wonderful news for the environmentalists isn't it?
The cost of the multipack seems about the same as before except, if you look closely, instead of 24 packets of crisps they now offer 22!
If all other 'green' companies follow suit does this mean we'll end up paying one twelfth more for everything? If so, no surprise there then.
monkey hanger likes this.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 12-12-2021, 14:49   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: The Cost Of Going Green?

glad i dont eat em
Old 12-12-2021, 15:05   #3
Beacon of light

Well, Walkers have to pay Gary Lineker something don’t they?
I priced a 6 pack of these crisps in a local supermarket….£1.75 for six packs……Seabrooks….6 packs for a quid……so no prize for guessing which I didn’t buy.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2021, 01:29   #4

While on the subject of the environment, and with regard to COVID testing and jabbing, I have a question. Where are all the used masks going to end up, and the syringes? What about the plastic gowns, and all the other pieces of paraphernalia that is included in PPE? Just asking.
dotti34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2021, 09:12   #5
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotti34 View Post
While on the subject of the environment, and with regard to COVID testing and jabbing, I have a question. Where are all the used masks going to end up, and the syringes? What about the plastic gowns, and all the other pieces of paraphernalia that is included in PPE? Just asking.
they will just ignore that because it does not suite them. pass the organic counter, buy some meat than go out to put a 100 quid of diesel in your 4x4 you,ll be on the greenies hit list. thank goodness my surname isn,t green as i,d change it legally or illegally.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2021, 09:48   #6

Another thing I've just noticed on this bright red 'green' box is the term CLASSIC 22 pack.

The definition of 'classic' is
Quote:
judged over a period of time to be of the highest quality and outstanding of its kind.
This is brand new packaging so the period of time that it has been judged over is very, very short indeed, so short in fact I don't think in all honesty they should use the term 'classic' with this product at all!
Old 14-12-2021, 14:55   #7
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Well, Walkers have to pay Gary Lineker something don’t they?

Must admit I tend to avoid Walkers because of the gob lineker, when I'm over I'll pick up McCoys or Seebrooks.
Old 14-12-2021, 14:59   #8
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
Must admit I tend to avoid Walkers because of the gob lineker, when I'm over I'll pick up McCoys or Seebrooks.
we prefer seabrooks anyway.
Old 14-12-2021, 16:05   #9
Beacon of light

I would rather do without crisps than add to linekers bank balance.
I would eat my own eyeballs with a pickle fork before I would eat Walkers
Old 14-12-2021, 18:11   #10

Quote:
If I ever invite you to one of my crisps in Royal Doulton with the hand-painted periwinkles bowls, candle lit suppers, would you mind awfully if you were searched at the door, it wouldn't do for you to be let loose with a pickle fork just in case the odd packet of walkers was discovered near your seat.
Old 15-12-2021, 08:17   #11
God Member

i've always preferred Seabrooks as well to walkers, just flavour and texture wise they are far nicer.

in the quest for going green I have recently swapped my monstrous big old luxo barge for a nice 30 year old Merc.. now you might say surely that thing is sticking far more crap out the exhaust than a modern DPF/CAT fitted car but in total e2e life the fact that its still here and the resources ( hardly any plastic btw, all nice easily recycled metal and non of that rare earth stuff... good all pig iron ) means its far far less than any modern hybrid/EV could ever hope to be.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2021, 08:21   #12
God Member

Quote:
I would rather do without crisps than add to linekers bank balance.
that reminds me of the subject of advertising a group of us had years ago. having some celebrity advertising anything or a football team being sponsored by someone can be counter productive. if you do not care for the celeb or hate that football team you,d swerve their products. at the time man. utd. were being sponsored by sharp so none of us would buy that product.
Old 15-12-2021, 08:25   #13
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post

in the quest for going green I have recently swapped my monstrous big old luxo barge for a nice 30 year old Merc.. now you might say surely that thing is sticking far more crap out the exhaust than a modern DPF/CAT fitted car but in total e2e life the fact that its still here and the resources ( hardly any plastic btw, all nice easily recycled metal and non of that rare earth stuff... good all pig iron ) means its far far less than any modern hybrid/EV could ever hope to be.
keep up the good work with your merc. love driving my no cat peugeot 309 and 405 diesels if only to pee the greenies off. anyway i can annoy these do gooding sods the better.
entwisi and DaveinGermany like this.
Old 15-12-2021, 18:20   #14
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotti34 View Post
Dotti,
For many years we used to export our plastic cr*p to the Far East for ‘processing’.
China is now sending that plastic cr*p back to us in the shape of masks.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2021, 15:07   #15
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
If I ever invite you to one of my crisps in Royal Doulton with the hand-painted periwinkles bowls, candle lit suppers, would you mind awfully if you were searched at the door, it wouldn't do for you to be let loose with a pickle fork just in case the odd packet of walkers was discovered near your seat.
If you invite me to one of your evening soirées Less I will bring my own crisps to save you from the terrible responsibility of doing a body search….and if I bring my own crisps I will leave my pickle fork at home.
But be warned…I’m not sharing

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..