Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2007, 02:55   #16
Senior Member+

Re: The end of an era

so its gettin knocked down now and whats being built there?

a pound store?
Old 04-10-2007, 05:24   #17
Resident Waffler

It's too far from the town centre for that - nobody would walk that far. Maybe it will be the new bus station.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2011, 20:00   #18
Bee
I am Banned

I remember Walker Farrimond. Didn't it go bust in late 2005, leaving Citroën only?.

Remember there being one in Blackburn, called Walker Farrimond Volkswagen

They only have one dealer in Nelson now.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2012, 14:17   #19
Resting in Peace

Planning Application for this site. Quite a big change of use ... LOL.

Was actually looking to add this to a recent thread about Travelers trespassing on this site ..... can't find it. Sure I didn't dream it ....

Application No:11/12/0283 Registration Date:13 Jul 2012 Location:WALKER FARRIMOND GARAGE SYDNEY STREET ACCRINGTON Development:Full: Change of use from garages showroom and workshops to community centre place of worship and conference venue

Case File
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2012, 14:27   #20
God Member

walker farrimond was where my pal served his apprenticeship and if i recall correctly the two buisness partners fell out and split the buisness

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2012, 14:31   #21

Wasnt it Spencers builders before Walkers?Spencers then moved to yard next old Pioneer works near iron bridge just off maudsley street, old Pioneer then became Rileys snooker works.
Big Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2012, 14:43   #22
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Planning Application for this site. Quite a big change of use ... LOL.

Was actually looking to add this to a recent thread about Travelers trespassing on this site ..... can't find it. Sure I didn't dream it ....

Application No:11/12/0283 Registration Date:13 Jul 2012 Location:WALKER FARRIMOND GARAGE SYDNEY STREET ACCRINGTON Development:Full: Change of use from garages showroom and workshops to community centre place of worship and conference venue

Case File
God botherers! -they have been on this forum before -

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...p-43392-5.html
post#73 - by enigmaman
"The Hope Center was a great church . Brian Jackson was the pastor . The church was involved with an orphanage in Tanzania , prison work , food parcels and much more . Due to internal politics Brian was replaced by a new pastor Dave Shore . Daves preaching is more of the prosperity kind . A lot of people left because most of the change in church direction . It is now called Global which sounds more like a travel agency . .....The Hope Center .........was what the name implies ...... ex cons are coming into this town every week . The ones that are with us are looked after and are encouraged to live a good life within a family group "

So ex cons can fraternise with the Maundy lot - nice

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2012, 14:47   #23
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.S.H View Post
Walker Farrimond (Volvo garage) closed on the 30th September, they recently got taken over by the Stratstone group, been a garage on that site for as long as I can remember
It rings bells but I forget the details now - can't even fully recall where Sydney Street is?

Anyone remember Whites Garage on Burnley Road they used sell Toyota's!
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2012, 15:21   #24
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
God botherers! -they have been on this forum before -

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...p-43392-5.html
post#73 - by enigmaman
"The Hope Center was a great church . Brian Jackson was the pastor . The church was involved with an orphanage in Tanzania , prison work , food parcels and much more . Due to internal politics Brian was replaced by a new pastor Dave Shore . Daves preaching is more of the prosperity kind . A lot of people left because most of the change in church direction . It is now called Global which sounds more like a travel agency . .....The Hope Center .........was what the name implies ...... ex cons are coming into this town every week . The ones that are with us are looked after and are encouraged to live a good life within a family group "

So ex cons can fraternise with the Maundy lot - nice
Mmmmm....guess there are going to be quite a few 'opinions' about this application then.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2012, 15:30   #25
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelx View Post
It rings bells but I forget the details now - can't even fully recall where Sydney Street is?

Seem to recall that they were Ford dealers in the 60's (Whites) and also something about a fatal accident involving a petrol fire.

Last edited by Colin B; 31-07-2012 at 15:35. Reason: to clarify Whites as Ford dealers
Colin B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2012, 16:18   #26
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelx View Post

What is now a Spar Shop
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2012, 17:25   #27
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxthecollie View Post
What is now a Spar Shop
Was a very busy garage in the sixties, started serving my time at Townleys Joiners which was next door to Whites
Old 02-08-2012, 19:52   #28
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
walker farrimond
There were many WF dealers, such as; Accrington, 2 in Nelson and Blackburn, Burnley, Bury, Bolton, Manchester etc
AudiBMWGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 20:34   #29

long time since i was over that neck of the woods is sydney street club still open? worked for ansbro&johnson when that was being built,
janloot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 21:10   #30
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by janloot View Post
long time since i was over that neck of the woods is sydney street club still open? worked for ansbro&johnson when that was being built,
Yep it is still open, mate of mine is the steward,

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..