Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-05-2011, 22:34   #16
God Member

Re: The fair is in ossy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Yeh but Ken P.B. speak wi forked Tongue.
yeah and other peoples keyboards

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 16-05-2011, 22:50   #17
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
Perhaps you'd like to ask your old mate Peter as it appears to be in his ward and it seems unlikely that a licence has been applied for and granted within 9 days of the new administration.

Technically, he is still Leader of the Council until the AGM on 24th May and presumably has all the answers.
plenty of room in Rhyddings park if people arnt happy about the football field been used

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Old 16-05-2011, 22:53   #18
God Member

Finding it very hard to believe that even PB would have the gall to grant a licence per say for the fair to pitch anywhere without any opposition councillors getting a whiff of what was planned. Maybe just me but find it incredible that it could happen without a whisper escaping
Old 16-05-2011, 23:06   #19
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

yeh are kidding bernie? they knew very little about where n how much of the dosh had gone/was going, so this would be dead easy imho.
Old 16-05-2011, 23:06   #20
God Member

hmmm i find it hard to believe too especially with how open the Tory councilors have been over the past years and their excellent record of working with opposition councilors to help this town improve rather than destroy it..

oh hang on....

there probably was a meeting about it but meeting times were most likely altered so that opposition party members couldn't attend

i will say that i hope these tricks arnt mirrored and will now be a thing of the past and all decisons made about our town will be voted upon by a full council

Old 16-05-2011, 23:15   #21
God Member

Quote:
yeh are kidding bernie? they knew very little about where n how much of the dosh had gone/was going, so this would be dead easy imho.
Sorry but if you are elected surely it is your place to know where cash is going? Why was there not enough "evidence" as to the misuse of cash given by opposition? We all know cash has been misspent but why was the spending allowed in the first place?
Old 16-05-2011, 23:16   #22
God Member

Quote:
But isn't that their job as our elected members to know where the money was going or am I missing the point?
Old 16-05-2011, 23:18   #23
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
Sorry but if you are elected surely it is your place to know where cash is going? Why was there not enough "evidence" as to the misuse of cash given by opposition? We all know cash has been misspent but why was the spending allowed in the first place?
Sorry but thats the most naive thing ive read on here. yeh could parallel that wi a countries leader? Hitler conned a large percentage of the german people.

Last edited by cashman; 16-05-2011 at 23:21.
cashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2011, 23:52   #24
God Member

Quote:
Sorry but thats the most naive thing ive read on here. yeh could parallel that wi a countries leader? Hitler conned a large percentage of the german people.
For goodness sake, if you count me as naive why are we bothering voting? So we now have PB being compared to Hitler, he surely could only "con" the people who wanted to be conned and they can't all have been Tories Getting a bit fed up of all the backbiting again, makes me wonder why I bothered voting
Old 17-05-2011, 06:24   #25
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Perhaps you'd like to ask your old mate Peter as it appears to be in his ward and it seems unlikely that a licence has been applied for and granted within 9 days of the new administration.

Technically, he is still Leader of the Council until the AGM on 24th May and presumably has all the answers.
I am confused now, is there a new administration or not?

I had hoped things were going to get better, looks like I am naive like Bernie

It is officers not councillors who will have to sort out this problem. If no licence has been given then they are illegally trading. I am more bothered about the cost to the council for repairing the damage and all the football teams that will turn up to play matches only to find they can't.
Old 17-05-2011, 06:32   #26
Common Sense Member

Quote:
The vast majority of cash was spent in the last three months, with April alone seeing the best part of an entire budget for the year completely wiped out. There is now nothing left in the Cabinet Action Fund (£100k) for emergencies because it was handed out prior to the elections and at the moment we are unable to publish the spreadsheet although this will change in a very short time under Freedom of Information. The spending was not considered unconstitutional as far as I understand so nothing could be done to stop them. Unless the opposition ask specific questions about spending then the information is not readily handed over.

The problem we now face is that money was spent to the tune of £5.2m, a figure that the council couldn't in any way afford and something which surprised most of us, even coming from Britcliffe. The full scale of the damage caused by the man will come out over the next year but if we honoured everything which he promised then we would have had to raise council tax by something in the region of 50% in order to meet the government targets for cuts as well.

They've left the borough in great shape.

Pear, I think.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2011, 06:40   #27
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I am confused now, is there a new administration or not?

I had hoped things were going to get better, looks like I am naive like Bernie

It is officers not councillors who will have to sort out this problem. If no licence has been given then they are illegally trading. I am more bothered about the cost to the council for repairing the damage and all the football teams that will turn up to play matches only to find they can't.
Any new administration only officially takes up office after the council AGM, which this year is on 24th May. Malcolm Pritchard is also technically still the Mayor even though Cllr McCormack is Mayor-elect.

Take up the problem of the fair with your ward councillors, that is what they are paid for.

Do make sure that you report back what they have to say.

I have a feeling that 13 years of Labour rule and that nasty Graham Jones will be responsible somehow.

Old 17-05-2011, 06:46   #28
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
I have a feeling that 13 years of Labour rule and that nasty Graham Jones will be responsible somehow.
Now you are being silly
Old 17-05-2011, 06:50   #29
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
We all know cash has been misspent but why was the spending allowed in the first place?
Councillors can't sign the cheques. Do we not have finance and legal officers to make sure what the Councillors are doing is legal and there is money in the bank or can Councillors do anything they want?
Old 17-05-2011, 06:55   #30
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Now you are being silly
Oh I do hope so. If becoming a councillor means a mandatory revocation of my sense of humour then it's time for me to go because I'm not going to fit in. However, after hearing the 'usual reply' in many Conservative answers over the past 12 months I don't see any reason why sarcasm shouldn't creep into a few of mine.

At the moment we need to inform people of just what we have inherited from Cllr Britcliffe's regime but after a time it will become wearing for the public, just as it does nationally.

I have complete faith in the Labour group to put things right but it will be monumentally difficult.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..