Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-05-2011, 07:04   #31
Common Sense Member

Re: The fair is in ossy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
i will say that i hope these tricks arnt mirrored and will now be a thing of the past and all decisons made about our town will be voted upon by a full council
The Labour group don't believe in dirty tricks as a way of conducting the council. The public don't like it and it does us absolutely no favours in terms of trying to persuade people that we're doing what's best for the borough.

Not all decisions will be taken at full Council meetings or they'd probably go on for several days at a time but anything which changes the constitution needs to be voted on by all members. Again, any dubious decisions made behind closed doors which look as if they're self-serving will soon be sniffed out by the public (take the Peel Street toilets debacle) so it really isn't in our interests to do such things.

Cuts need to be made and it is likely that not everything is going to go down well with the public but please just bear in mind that much of what we have to do is dictated to by central government and Cllr Britcliffe has just made that immeasurably worse by leaving us with huge bills.

What he would have done if he had retained control is something of a mystery.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 17-05-2011, 07:47   #32
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
The Labour group don't believe in dirty tricks as a way of conducting the council. The public don't like it and it does us absolutely no favours in terms of trying to persuade people that we're doing what's best for the borough.

Not all decisions will be taken at full Council meetings or they'd probably go on for several days at a time but anything which changes the constitution needs to be voted on by all members. Again, any dubious decisions made behind closed doors which look as if they're self-serving will soon be sniffed out by the public (take the Peel Street toilets debacle) so it really isn't in our interests to do such things.

Cuts need to be made and it is likely that not everything is going to go down well with the public but please just bear in mind that much of what we have to do is dictated to by central government and Cllr Britcliffe has just made that immeasurably worse by leaving us with huge bills.

What he would have done if he had retained control is something of a mystery.
Mmmm ... "sniffed out" and "toilets" in the same sentence ... an unfortunate juxtaposition. But your last point has crossed my mind too. One can only conclude that he knew he had a snowball in hell's chance of retaining control.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2011, 08:06   #33
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
For goodness sake, if you count me as naive why are we bothering voting? So we now have PB being compared to Hitler, he surely could only "con" the people who wanted to be conned and they can't all have been Tories Getting a bit fed up of all the backbiting again, makes me wonder why I bothered voting
well that justifies me comment, cos i aint backbiting am just stating me opinion. does the fact you disagree make it backbiting?
Old 17-05-2011, 08:19   #34
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Councillors can't sign the cheques. Do we not have finance and legal officers to make sure what the Councillors are doing is legal and there is money in the bank or can Councillors do anything they want?

Puzzles me as well. If well paid council officers ( I suspect they are well paid compared to most ) are actually carrying out the councillors instructions surely it is up to them to say something or do something if things aren't right. No disrespect to the councillors but I doubt we have that many that are fully qualified accountants
Old 17-05-2011, 08:21   #35
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Take up the problem of the fair with your ward councillors, that is what they are paid for.

Just been informed this fair is all legal and licensed.

Any damaged will be covered by the fair and they will open from Thursday to Sunday.

Thursday Friday 6pm - 9pm and 1pm till 9pm over the weekend.
Old 17-05-2011, 08:42   #36
Resting in Peace

Quote:
The Labour group don't believe in dirty tricks as a way of conducting the council.
:r ofl38:
Old 17-05-2011, 08:45   #37
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
:r ofl38:
Again, things have happened in times gone by so that MUST be the same now.

This is what we're up against.

Old 17-05-2011, 09:06   #38
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Again, things have happened in times gone by so that MUST be the same now.

This is what we're up against.
You'll be telling me next that the leopard has changed its spots, wherever there is politics there will always be dirty tricks and if you believe any different your greener than I thought you were Ken, and I'm talking about all aspects of politics here, whiter than white politicians have not been born, seem to remember Mr Blair said Whiter than White Government was his flag ship policy in 1997, whoops what happened. The road to hell is paved with good intentions Ken, always remember that
Old 17-05-2011, 09:32   #39
Common Sense Member

Quote:
The road to hell is paved with good intentions Ken, always remember that
Good advice and rest assured that I will remember.

It saddens me then that I was presented with a libel suit this week from Cllr Clarke on a matter which I have previously apologised for in public and on Accrington Web over two months ago as requested.

Where I look to the future, it seems that some others are fixated upon the mistakes of the past.

Old 17-05-2011, 10:47   #40
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Good advice and rest assured that I will remember.

It saddens me then that I was presented with a libel suit this week from Cllr Clarke on a matter which I have previously apologised for in public and on Accrington Web over two months ago as requested.

Where I look to the future, it seems that some others are fixated upon the mistakes of the past.
Sadly it comes with the territory Ken, why do you think I called it a day many moons ago, I got threatened with legal action for calling some one Little Man on here, needless to say he is now on my ignored list so I ain't tempted again
Old 17-05-2011, 10:55   #41
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:

Nowt like a good LOSER.don't let it unduly worry yeh, Losers don't usually win.
Old 17-05-2011, 10:59   #42
God Member

And as cashy's signature says Ken...N.L.T.B.G.Y.D

Last edited by flashy; 17-05-2011 at 11:01.
flashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2011, 11:01   #43
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashy View Post
And as cashy's signature say Ken...N.L.T.B.G.Y.D
Also very good advice, Shaz!

Old 17-05-2011, 12:29   #44
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
....I got threatened with legal action for calling some one Little Man on here.....
hahaha that is funny, I suppose it depends how tall he is
Old 17-05-2011, 12:40   #45
God Member

Nah Neil, he probably got threatened with legal action because the person he called 'little man' was actually a woman
flashy is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..