Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree54Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-04-2014, 17:29   #76
God Member

Re: The Labour Gravy Train

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Often when statistic are being created the questions are phrased in such a way as to pre-empt the answer that the statistician wants...and of course it depends on who commissions the stats too.
You wouldn't want to be paying for a survey for it to reveal the opposite of what you wanted to show, would you? You might just as well burn your money.

As someone once said 'there are lies, damned lies and then there are statistics'(Mark Twain...I think)
Or, as John Diefenbaker said: Politicians use statistics like drunks use lamp posts, more for support than illumination (or something close to that). He also said that "Parliament is more than procedure; it is the custodian of the Nation's freedom." Something else that parliamentarians tend to forget.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 27-04-2014, 17:44   #77
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Or, as John Diefenbaker said: Politicians use statistics like drunks use lamp posts, more for support than illumination (or something close to that). He also said that "Parliament is more than procedure; it is the custodian of the Nation's freedom." Something else that parliamentarians tend to forget.
Thank you Eric, you can be relied upon to come up with a post which puts it all in a nutshell..
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2014, 18:26   #78
I am Banned

Parliment can be likened to a banana storage unit.
They go in green, turn yellow & come out bent.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2014, 20:03   #79

Quote:
There will always be some sections that will produce reports like this.
While I do not believe they are numpties either.....I think they may be overstating things for whatever reasons.
No-one ever said that an exit from the EU would be easy.....it is better than the alternative.
We have been bamboozled.....we have money extracted from us to prop up an experimental currency exercise. We have had legislation thrown at us. All from a bunch of unelected bureaucrats who cannot be sacked, in an organisation which is rife with corruption.

Why didn't we just hand over the keys in 1939.......? Save all those wasted lives.
I'm glad my father isn't here now to see how things have panned out.

If the EU was a business( which is how it was sold to us) would you invest in it knowing that no budget has passed scrutiny for almost two decades?
It is just a good job that we were not dragged into the single currency.....the only thing we can thank Gordon Brown for.
I do not identify with Europe, or anything European.
Yup - Neil Kinnock didn't do a very good job of sorting that out did he? I remember him being interviewed quite a while afterwards and his reply when asked why he hadn't sorted out the accounts was that he'd been too busy doing other things.

Sterling is on such a different high/low circuit than that of the Euro that I think Brown would have been lynched if he'd given the death knell to our currency. What I think was unforgivable was prior to the 2005 election when Blair wasn't high in popularity; he had a blood rush during a TV interview the week beforehand and said he'd allow a Referendum.on the next Treaty when it was planned that Europe should become a State with a permanent president. Then unbelievably, after all the heads of state had signed and been photographed, Brown surreptitiously snook off and hand in hand with Milliband he too signed the Lisbon Treaty.
Lucysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2014, 20:28   #80
Beacon of light

And we, the population are supposed to forget all this skulduggery.....this fraudulent behaviour. We are supposed to trust these people who have not only let us down, but sold us down the river.
We are supposed to believe the guff that they feed us about the motives and intentions of the EU.
These men could not lie straight in bed.
It puts my blood pressure up just thinking about it!
Old 27-04-2014, 21:00   #81

Quote:
And we, the population are supposed to forget all this skulduggery.....this fraudulent behaviour. We are supposed to trust these people who have not only let us down, but sold us down the river.
We are supposed to believe the guff that they feed us about the motives and intentions of the EU.
These men could not lie straight in bed.
It puts my blood pressure up just thinking about it
!
I loath cheats and liars. I've found that my voice reacts dramatically whenever I discover a dastardly deed in that it can rise above its normal mezzo-soprano level up through the soprano range until it reaches beyond the coloratura soprano high notes to screech level.
Lucysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2014, 21:12   #82
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucysgirl View Post
I loath cheats and liars. I've found that my voice reacts dramatically whenever I discover a dastardly deed in that it can rise above its normal mezzo-soprano level up through the soprano range until it reaches beyond the coloratura soprano high notes to screech level.
You know, I really do think we must have been separated at birth!
Lucysgirl likes this.
Old 27-04-2014, 22:43   #83
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucysgirl View Post
pavarotti had teh same thing

if he wanted to practice high notes he attended labour confrences especially those where tony blair spoke

edit

sorry i meant new labour

the two are totally different partys

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Last edited by accyman; 27-04-2014 at 22:45.
accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2014, 22:50   #84
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

The Labour Gravy Train

Quote:
You know, I really do think we must have been separated at birth!

It's those shoddy can't be bothered midwives at the NHS to blame Margaret, it seems they weren't too fussy about who they employed, it's hardly surprising you got separated.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2014, 06:25   #85
Beacon of light

Less...when I was born the NHS was only just born.
It was a bit experimental...like the EU.
Old 28-04-2014, 08:54   #86

To get back to the original topic,what about slimeball Jack Straws son standing for Rossendale, and the super adulterer and lying 2 jags son.You couldn't make these things up it beggars belief.As for leaving the EU,well that aint going to happen,look at Irelands disaster when they tried,only one set of votes in favour but two against they will re-run until the required one is voted for.

The worst thing government in this country ever did was to educate us,now use it.

Last edited by Neil; 28-04-2014 at 11:04. Reason: remove *'s
jack preston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2014, 09:59   #87
Beacon of light

I think you have got that wrong. How can educating us be the worst thing they have done?
They educated us so that we could use our thought processes. It is just such a shame that many people do not use their thought processes to an effective degree.
Old 28-04-2014, 13:58   #88
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack preston View Post
To get back to the original topic,what about slimeball Jack Straws son standing for Rossendale,
jack straws son will be homing in on the junkie/smackhead vote

he will most likely adapt the hug a burka technique used by his father to hug a smackhead

jack straw puzzled me because while acting as a MP he couldnt wait to get his photo taken with someone in a burka but within a matter of days of switching jobs he was calling for them to be banned

i do hope the hug a smackhead catches on because theres a few i would gladly hug around the throat and others shoudl be encouraged to do the same
DAV007 likes this.

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2014, 22:15   #89

Dear Margaret when I said educating us was the worst thing the government ever did I meant it from the govrnments point of view ,because education and knowledge are power and before we were educated we were all serfs and slaves,so think of my statement on these lines.we now only have government by consent with free speech as long as no-one listens to what we say.Does any-one think the establishment will allow Farage and UKIP any power.?
jack preston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2014, 07:17   #90
Beacon of light

Yes, Jack I sort of guessed that......but originally education was done by religious bodies.
The Governments only got involved quite late in the historical day( I did a teaching qualification and this history of education was my 'long study')

And yes you are right about the fact that no-one in government listens to the little man...which is why I trail along to the polling station and write'none of the above' on my ballot paper.
If more people did this, then perhaps they would get the message that it isn't apathy that has caused a drop in voting numbers, but the fact that the population feel that they cannot influence events by their vote......making democracy non existent.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..