Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-10-2006, 13:36   #136
God Member

Re: The Last Straw

The funny thing is that the argument that "it does no harm" is the same one that is used by paedophiles. Both lack logic and both result in tragic social and physical consequences.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 18-10-2006, 13:36   #137
Resident Waffler

Why on earth object to being served by a shopkeeper wearing the niqab? If it's their shop they can wear what they like. If they sell what I want to buy it doesn't matter to me what they are wearing.

I do find that I don't start up spontaneous discussions with a veiled woman but that's because I feel like I'm intruding into some sort of privacy they wish to maintain. That's probably wrong but it's just the way it seems.

Normally I chat to anyone anywhere (as you'll probably have gathered by the way I waffle on here.) but you don't have the same sort of nod and smile start in RL with someone in full head covering with veil.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2006, 13:43   #138
Apprentice Geriatric

Question Re: The Last Straw

Who has argued that it does no harm Tealeaf?
Old 18-10-2006, 13:43   #139
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
Why on earth object to being served by a shopkeeper wearing the niqab? If it's their shop they can wear what they like. If they sell what I want to buy it doesn't matter to me what they are wearing.

I
Cheers Willow.

I wonder if you could give us a list of shops in Accy where we are likely to be served by someone wearing a Niqab, in particular those selling fresh foodstuffs.
Old 18-10-2006, 13:45   #140
Resident Waffler

If I come across one I'll let you know.

Old 18-10-2006, 13:45   #141
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty
Who has argued that it does no harm Tealeaf?
So you agree it does do harm, yet you do not wish it banned?

Most peculiar!
Old 18-10-2006, 13:57   #142
Apprentice Geriatric

Question Re: The Last Straw

You have a most peculiar understanding of the English language Tealeaf if you can work out that I agree that it does no harm from my question of “Who has argued that it does no harm Tealeaf?

I don’t care how a person dresses providing that it is with the bounds of public decency. What I do care about is seeing the face of the person that I am talking to or doing business with. I also care about a small sector of the citizens being given preferential treatment in that they can hide their face just because they follow the Islamic faith whilst other sectors have to remove any face covering.
Old 18-10-2006, 14:10   #143
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty
This veil issue has got out of hand. Jeremy Vine is now asking listeners to vote on whether, the full Muslim dress the nikab (that leaves just the eyes visible), should be banned or not. I assume that this would also include the dress that hides the eyes behind a veil.

My answer is NO it should not be banned. .
I give up..................
Old 18-10-2006, 14:11   #144
I am Banned

if our creator wanted faces covered people would be born with veils or better still no face at all

simple as that realy aint it
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2006, 21:21   #145
Resident Waffler

Here's an interesting little point.

He got arrested. What's the difference?

Old 19-10-2006, 21:33   #146
Apprentice Geriatric

Angry Re: The Last Straw

That says it all!
Old 19-10-2006, 22:13   #147
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
Here's an interesting little point.

He got arrested. What's the difference?
Makes you want to become a racist if I wasn't already one, it's a joke this country, I think I will try this on Saturday and see how far I can go.

Unemployment figures are up, of course they are with all the Europeans that have come here taking jobs that should be filled by English workers.

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2006, 22:45   #148
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagpuss
I think I will try this on Saturday and see how far I can go.
Whilst I was reading Willows link I was actually thinking " Bagpuss! No you didn't! I didn't think you were serious!"
Old 19-10-2006, 23:20   #149
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagpuss
Unemployment figures are up, of course they are with all the Europeans that have come here taking jobs that should be filled by English workers.
Well if they dont fill the jobs available then employers are going to find someone that will. Not ideal, but a business still needs to run and if the only workers they can get are european then thats what they will take.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2006, 07:58   #150
Apprentice Geriatric

Angry Re: The Last Straw

I don’t know if anyone else watched Question Time coming from Preston last night but if you did you may have noticed that if the audience was to be representative of the country as a whole, we are losing the ‘veil’ debate.

Not only did the ‘veil’ topic take up more than half of the allotted programme time, which is unusual in itself, but the discussion wasn’t about the original ‘veil’ issue but had been dragged off on a tangent to encompass Islam and the right to wear what they like. Can I remind people that the only issue is whether a veil should be removed when attending an MP’s constituency surgery? And from that it follows any official one to one meeting.

Not one single person either on the panel or in the audience made the comparison between crash helmets and the ‘veil’. There were even a few Muslim women wearing the full dress and veil and they were allowed to say their piece from behind a mask, instead of being asked to remove it so that everyone could see their face and be able to judge the sincerity of the said piece.

One member of the panel even went as far as to suggest that talking to a person wearing a veil was no different to talking to them over the phone. But in the phone case neither can see the other’s face so they are on a level playing field.

The thought occurs that many office employees have a photo ID card either pinned to the outer clothing or hanging around the neck. How can you check if the person wearing the photo ID is that person, if they are wearing a veil?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..