Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2006, 17:28   #1
Apprentice Geriatric

Question The Last Straw

Jack Straw MP has suggested that when any Muslim women come to his surgery, they should remove the face covering veil during the meeting with him. His reason – he cannot read a face that he cannot see.

Tricky one that because I can see and agree with both sides of the argument. However as the UK is not a Muslim country (yet) I think that Jack Straw MP has a point.

I would also ask, if a Muslim women was in court either as a witness or a defendant would she be allowed to retain the veil?
Old 05-10-2006, 17:34   #2
God Member

Re: The Last Straw

Sorry jambutty, I hope you don't mind me hijacking your thread but it's on the same subject, albeit a different question.

Does anyone know for sure why asian women wear these bhurkas, I have been told many different reasons (due to be married, hide themselves from the male eye, menstruating, brought shame on the family)?

Also why are there many more asian women wearing them now than ever before?
Old 05-10-2006, 17:40   #3
Senior Member+

I often wondered why you have to take a crash helmet off in a bank, but the asain (pakistani, indian) women can still keep their faces covered.

Don't want to be called racist again. lol

The views expressed here are my own & are not necessarily those of the site.
AccyJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 17:46   #4
God Member

This couples back to the crucifix at school. She wasn't allowed to wear it.
Either this country makes exceptions and exemptions based on religious belief or it doesn't.
Come and write every night, chat with a hula melody
Madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 17:47   #5
Resident Waffler

How do they go on with passports too?

Are they allowed to drive with them on? In which case how about driving licences? Do they restrict vision?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 17:48   #6
Senior Member+

I've seen them driving with them on.

The views expressed here are my own & are not necessarily those of the site.
AccyJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 18:30   #7
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

I'm sure that Jack Straw would ask any member of the public to remove a crash helmet, balaclava, hoodie or any other facial covering at his surgeries. It is his surgery and he has every right to do so. I don't think that he is being racist, he is being sensible. I have asked women to remove their headgear during my clinics when there have been no men present, they have done so willingly. To be able to see a face is an important aspect of communication.......ask anyone who lip reads.

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 18:53   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp

Are they allowed to drive with them on? In which case how about driving licences? Do they restrict vision?

This sort of attire HAS to restrict vision. A drivers license here includes a photo ID. Muslim women who wear the full rig have refused to uncover their faces for the photograph. Frankly, I am surprised the males in their household even allow them to drive! But I say, no ID, no license.
bullseyebarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 18:53   #9
Resident Waffler

What actually is the history of the burkha? I've wondered what the reason is too Tinks. I can't remember seeing them at all not long ago.

Old 05-10-2006, 18:58   #10
Passed away 25-11-09

It doesn't matter to me what people want to wear, if it makes them happy. I do wonder, though, why so many Muslim women feel the need to cover up in a country whose laws don't demand it. I remember when the first generation of Asian immigrants arrived here. My in-laws lived in Bradford, which was one of the first areas to have an Asian community, and the women from that community used to wear beautiful saris and salwar kameez. Why do they now, 40 years later, have to be covered from head to toe?

I agree everyone should have to bare their faces, at least, in official situations. Too much can be hidden behind a veil.
Old 05-10-2006, 19:29   #11
Full Member+

Maybe Jack Straw should wear a mask during his surgeries, I`m sure the Asian women would appreciate it!!
Old 05-10-2006, 19:29   #12
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp

I wondered that too willow, but if they drive with them is that allowed in this country because surely it cant be safe, from the way i see it there is only a small gap for their eyes .. I do agree though that they do wear them more often these days i think Jack straw is right to ask them to remove them ..
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 19:34   #13
God Member

I dont know why they wear these and too have been told many reasons, I dont think it should be allowed especially for driving, how would you be able to identify the driver if they were wearing one of these? Or maybe thats why they wear it!
grego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 19:37   #14
Resident Waffler

I think I'll try to find out. I shall ask some people and see what they say and then come back and let you all know.

Old 05-10-2006, 19:50   #15
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!

Racist Post Alert !!!!

Q Why do they wear the headgear?

A 1 To annoy us.
2 Because they are ugly, in which case I thank them.
3 It's not really a women it's a male bomber in disguise.
4 Because an old man (who's also a bomber) beats her up if she doesn't.
5 Can't be recognised on CCTV

I'II get my coat

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly

Last edited by Bagpuss; 05-10-2006 at 19:54.
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..