Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2008, 15:56   #31
Resident Waffler

Re: The Law's an Ass

Nice to see you back Jaysay. Hope you're feeling well now.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 09-09-2008, 16:09   #32
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

I agree with Blazey on this one. If she emptied the flat illegally then she should have lost in court.
Old 09-09-2008, 16:14   #33
Resident Waffler

I would agree if she had disposed of the contents but she didn't she put them in storage at her own expense so although she didn't go about it as she should have done she had obviously not wanted to create a hooha if he ever came back for his stuff.

Old 09-09-2008, 16:42   #34
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

He could have been working away and come back to find she had emptied his flat.

You can't just throw out a tenant because they have made a mess of your flat. You have to abide by the tenancy agreement and the law. There are correct ways to evict a tenant within the law. The law should and does protect both the tenant and land lord. She did not so he was within his right to sue. She lost and should have done.

The only reason the story even hit the papers is because he is in jail.
Old 09-09-2008, 18:56   #35
God Member

I don't see why one should damn a law just because it doesn't conform to one's personal biases. The law is above this; that is why it works, and why it is necessary. Some say "this is a good law, because it confirms and supports what I believe; and this law is a bad law because it doesn't conform to my prejudices." They are not in fact talking about law at all, but about their own idiosyncrasies.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 22:35   #36
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: The Law's an Ass

Quote:
Originally Posted by churchman phil View Post
BBC NEWS | England | Kent | Rapist sues landlady from prison

A hairdresser has said she hopes to appeal after a convicted rapist sued her from jail when she cleared out the flat he rented above one of her salons.

Errrrrrmmmmmmmmmm.........the law goes mad again!!!!
The newspaper article doesn’t give the full story only the emotive rapist bit and certainly doesn’t reveal the terms of the tenancy agreement. And that is what the case rests on.

I assume that the tenancy agreement was presented in court and the judge would have decided if Mrs Goymer had breached it. It has to be presumed that he thought she had because he found for the defendant.

So until we know the full details we cannot say that the law was an ass or not.
Old 09-09-2008, 22:39   #37
Apprentice Geriatric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
He could have been working away and come back to find she had emptied his flat.

You can't just throw out a tenant because they have made a mess of your flat. You have to abide by the tenancy agreement and the law. There are correct ways to evict a tenant within the law. The law should and does protect both the tenant and land lord. She did not so he was within his right to sue. She lost and should have done.

The only reason the story even hit the papers is because he is in jail.
Actually you can throw out a tenant if s/he makes a mess of the rented accommodation, IF the tenancy agreement has provision for such action.
Old 09-09-2008, 23:06   #38

This was a publicly-funded case. We paid for this to be brought before the Courts. I wasn’t asked whether I wanted to fund it, was anyone else ??

His rights should diminish while he is serving his time ( supposedly life in this instance ) What makes him think he will return to the flat…ahhh I know, life doesn’t mean “life” with our Courts does it.

I think his Landlord did well by the man by putting his belongings into storage.
Old 09-09-2008, 23:29   #39
Apprentice Geriatric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnyboy View Post
This was a publicly-funded case. We paid for this to be brought before the Courts. I wasn’t asked whether I wanted to fund it, was anyone else ??

His rights should diminish while he is serving his time ( supposedly life in this instance ) What makes him think he will return to the flat…ahhh I know, life doesn’t mean “life” with our Courts does it.

I think his Landlord did well by the man by putting his belongings into storage.
No one is asked if they wanted to fund any public purse legal expenses.

I agree a prisoner’s rights should diminish whilst in jail but the reality is that they don’t appear to.

But if the landlady breached the tenancy agreement then she was in the wrong.
Old 09-09-2008, 23:43   #40
God Member

He wasn't convicted of any crime when she decided to put his things into storage. The fact he won his claim suggests that the only person who breached the contract was her, therefore she is legally in the wrong. The fact that he is a rapist doesn't matter.

I can't put it any simpler than what I already have done. I just study the law, I don't make it, and I certainly don't make the decisions, but in this case I personally would've made the same decision.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 03:52   #41
God Member

i cant see in the article if when they say he paid his rent it means he went to work and paid his rent or if he claimed the rent from the council which realisticly woudl mean that everyone else paid his rent and not him

if he was on benefits then the council if notified of his conviction would have stopped the rent been paid but as what quite often happens people go to prison and the rent still gets paid

no matter what the contract says as soon as a person is sent to prison the landlord should be able to throw out the contents of the property after an acceptable amount of time to allow arrangements to be made bythe tennants friends or family to remove the contents but up until conviction no action should be allowed to be made as the accused may be found not guilty

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 04:54   #42
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
i cant see in the article if when they say he paid his rent it means he went to work and paid his rent or if he claimed the rent from the council which realisticly woudl mean that everyone else paid his rent and not him

if he was on benefits then the council if notified of his conviction would have stopped the rent been paid but as what quite often happens people go to prison and the rent still gets paid

no matter what the contract says as soon as a person is sent to prison the landlord should be able to throw out the contents of the property after an acceptable amount of time to allow arrangements to be made bythe tennants friends or family to remove the contents but up until conviction no action should be allowed to be made as the accused may be found not guilty
You are allowed to do that but you have to seek permission from the court first, which she didn't, hence why she got fined.

It's pretty simple really, she didn't follow standard procedure so she was forced to cough up. The judge couldn't treat the guy like a rapist, he had to treat him like an ordinary citizen and award damages, and the fee's have to be paid by someone and it's also the norm that the losing side pays the fees.

I'm still trying to graps what is unconservative of me agreeing to this case, contract law is centuries old and I am not saying lets be lenient with it, I'm saying keep to it.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 07:02   #43
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
Actually you can throw out a tenant if s/he makes a mess of the rented accommodation, IF the tenancy agreement has provision for such action.
It would be a poor tenancy agreement if it didn't. Perhaps she should look into that. If there was rotting food in the flat surely that would have been a health and safety issue?

Also, it's an interesting point about if he was still claiming housing benefit whilst in jail and if not who was paying the rent? He could find himself on dodgy ground if claiming benefits he wasn't entitled to due to being in jail. This might just come back to bite him. I can't help feeling that I hope it does.

Old 10-09-2008, 07:03   #44
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
This might just come back to bite him. I can't help feeling that I hope it does.
I don't think he will care, he is doing life isn't he?
Old 10-09-2008, 07:06   #45
Resident Waffler

And how long is life? A few more years added onto that wouldn't go amiss. Or maybe a huge fine which strips him of all his assetts not just the award he got from this case but the bailiffs selling all those possessions so the landlady doesn't have to keep paying for their storage. (I wonder what happens to those costs now anyway?) I'm sure he will care about losing everything. He cares about losing his flat doesn't he?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..