Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2008, 07:15   #46
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Re: The Law's an Ass

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
Actually you can throw out a tenant if s/he makes a mess of the rented accommodation, IF the tenancy agreement has provision for such action.
Yes you can but you have to comply with the law when you do it. She must not have or she would have won the case.
Old 10-09-2008, 18:46   #47
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Yes you can but you have to comply with the law when you do it. She must not have or she would have won the case.
It is nice to see that someone can understand something so simple
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 18:59   #48
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
oh its simple enough to understand,that dont mean i think its right that a jailbird is allowed to use public money.
Old 10-09-2008, 19:36   #49
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
oh its simple enough to understand,that dont mean i think its right that a jailbird is allowed to use public money.
The only cost to the public would be the cost of the hearing. If she had followed the law in the first place it wouldn't have even happened. I'm sure her side would probably have been directed to try and settle out of court as well for such a small amount of money.

She has nobody to blame but herself and the people you should all be blaming is her for not using her head. Past debt collector and land lady? Yes I'm sure she's charming... when she wants your money of course. She should have known better.
Old 10-09-2008, 19:59   #50
God Member

As recently as the 12th century, law was "rediscovered" in Bologna. And it is this rediscovery which eventually led to the centralized state, replacing the chaos that followed the collapse of the western empire. This, I know, sounds trivial, and perhaps it is; however, what it leads to is the inescapable conclusion that the State and the Law are inseparable. So, whether or not the law is sometimes asinine is irrelevant; what is important is that it is necessary; and that to be effective, it has to be followed to the letter. Evidently, the woman in question did not consider this.

Of course, we could always re-introduce trial by ordeal, or by combat
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 20:00   #51
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
The only cost to the public would be the cost of the hearing. If she had followed the law in the first place it wouldn't have even happened. I'm sure her side would probably have been directed to try and settle out of court as well for such a small amount of money.

She has nobody to blame but herself and the people you should all be blaming is her for not using her head. Past debt collector and land lady? Yes I'm sure she's charming... when she wants your money of course. She should have known better.
not disputing that, what i am disputing is simple a piece of crap in jail,like this fellow is should have NO redress to 1 penny of public money. the fact they do does not make it right, thats a point you will not take on board.
Old 10-09-2008, 20:23   #52
God Member

Quote:

I think I have to agree with you. Damnit ... I thought I would never have to say that
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 21:36   #53
Resident Waffler

I concede that we have to abide by the law but it's situations like this where people stand back and say "The law is a ass" that leads to laws being repealed amended etc - law is not static.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 22:33   #54
God Member

Quote:
I agree that these particular laws and regulations are in place to protect the vast majority of tennents , and thanks for the input of your untold wisdom to point out that most of us are just to fick to agree with you.
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 22:59   #55
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
not disputing that, what i am disputing is simple a piece of crap in jail,like this fellow is should have NO redress to 1 penny of public money. the fact they do does not make it right, thats a point you will not take on board.
i agree he should not of, but also they should have no human rights in jail aswell but thats a different topic,

The Harder The Conflict, The More Glorious The Triumph

MCR ADIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 23:24   #56
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
I concede that we have to abide by the law but it's situations like this where people stand back and say "The law is a ass" that leads to laws being repealed amended etc - law is not static.
The law that made that decision is a good one, though it isn't everyday that it's used to protect the rights of rapists. More often I imagine it's used to protect ordinary citizens.

The only reason it made it into the paper is because he's a convicted rapist, hence why it's not in the law pages on the broadsheet papers. It's not even news.
Old 10-09-2008, 23:29   #57
God Member

I'm never going to agree that there should be one set of laws for one group of people and another for people we don't like.

America got round this by building a nice little place in Cuba. I'm sure we could do the same if you really want to start avoiding laws. Though lets bear in mind that the cost to america for cases against them for fale imprisonment in that lovely little place in Cuba costs them far more than it costs for a straight forward tenancy disagreement.

If we're basing it on the matter of cost then we should at least be realistic. Especially when we start getting victims of injustice coming out of prison after being wrongly convicted of a crime and claiming they were in fact innocent, therefore still protected under the same rights as you and I and that they've been tortured day in day out wrongly.

Or we could just treat them like human beings, or at least domestic animals and then at least we don't have to face a very difficult mess when we have wrongly imprisoned people.
Old 10-09-2008, 23:37   #58
God Member

So Blazey.. I would presume you would like to be a defence lawyer?
Old 10-09-2008, 23:42   #59
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
So Blazey.. I would presume you would like to be a defence lawyer?
I don't mind which side I work for as long as problems get dealt with. Definitely dealing with civil claims though. I find criminal law boring.
Old 10-09-2008, 23:54   #60
God Member

Quote:
I don't mind which side I work for as long as problems get dealt with. Definitely dealing with civil claims though. I find criminal law boring.
Ah..talking about "sides" so soon into your career..not a good start.you've already put your colours up on your sig.. impartial?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..