Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2008, 20:24   #1

The Law's an Ass

BBC NEWS | England | Kent | Rapist sues landlady from prison

A hairdresser has said she hopes to appeal after a convicted rapist sued her from jail when she cleared out the flat he rented above one of her salons.

Errrrrrmmmmmmmmmm.........the law goes mad again!!!!

Last edited by Mick; 09-09-2008 at 05:32.
churchman phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 08-09-2008, 20:38   #2

Re: The Law's an Ass

Says in the report that she should have sought legal advice as laws are in place to stop landlords taking hasty action.

If your tenant gets a life sentence for a crime it can hardly be considered hasty to make other arrangements regarding the property you are renting them. She even put his stuff into storage an was forking out 60 brick a month for the privilege ( wonder how long she was thinking of keeping that up ) I would have just ordered a skip and dumped the lot in.

Aye, the Law is an Ass
Old 08-09-2008, 20:39   #3
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by churchman phil View Post
BBC NEWS | England | Kent | Rapist sues landlady from prison

Errrrrrmmmmmmmmmm.........the law goes mad again!!!!

If he wasn't a rapist and he had simply gone on business for a few months it would be seen as right. He's paying the rent and she has no right to terminate the contract unless he breaches it, and nothing there suggests he has.

Hate to say it, but seen as I am more inclined to think this way than the ordinary newspaper reader I will say it anyway, and that isn't the law being an ass at all.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 20:49   #4
God Member

Again the law helps the guilty n humps the innocent!!!! When he went down he should have lost all his rights.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 20:52   #5
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
If he wasn't a rapist and he had simply gone on business for a few months it would be seen as right. He's paying the rent and she has no right to terminate the contract unless he breaches it, and nothing there suggests he has.

Hate to say it, but seen as I am more inclined to think this way than the ordinary newspaper reader I will say it anyway, and that isn't the law being an ass at all.
Fair enough but paying for it is the issue as well.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 08-09-2008, 20:53   #6
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUGGIE J View Post
Again the law helps the guilty n humps the innocent!!!! When he went down he should have lost all his rights.
Then when he gets out he has no property and resorts to crime again?

God, why didn't I think of that?

She should have stuck to the law herself and consulted a solicitor before taking it upon herself to bag up someone's belongings. I'm sure she could have rang the police to report him missing and have found out where he was, and then proceeded rather than assuming he wasn't coming back.

I would like to think I would show concern about someone just not being around for so long even if their rent was being paid to me. A lot of rent is just paid by direct debit these days, for all she knew he could have been dead somewhere.
Old 08-09-2008, 20:54   #7
God Member

Quote:
Fair enough but paying for it is the issue as well.
It says he was still paying his rent, therefore there is no breach of contract.
Old 08-09-2008, 20:57   #8
God Member

Quote:
Do you think a convicted burgler should have to pay back what he stole and a black mark should be registered against his name until he paid back the debt and that baliffs should hound him until he has paid.....I do.

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 21:01   #9
God Member

So he sues and say he wins ok; his victim then sues him; she wins and gets the money he won from suing his landlady. Who loses then? When he comes out he would have to leave the area any. The moral of the mess should be to consult an expert when in a situation that mirrors this one.

Then again I am a guy so what do I know.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 08-09-2008, 21:02   #10
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royboy39 View Post
Do you think a convicted burgler should have to pay back what he stole and a black mark should be registered against his name until he paid back the debt and that baliffs should hound him until he has paid.....I do.
Agree with that whole heartedly.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 08-09-2008, 21:02   #11
God Member

whats it with these tories turning liberal? why dont you just join the liberal party,or are you just after their votes..........
cmonstanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 21:04   #12
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmonstanley View Post
whats it with these tories turning liberal? why dont you just join the liberal party,or are you just after their votes..........
Who is that aimed at?

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 21:11   #13

Where does it say in that report that the convicted bloke was still paying his rent ?
Old 08-09-2008, 21:15   #14
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmonstanley View Post
What is un-conservative about following the law as it is literally written?
Old 08-09-2008, 21:18   #15
Resident Waffler

There is nothing saying he was or wasn't paying his rent, but it sounds like he certainly wasn't paying his gas and electric bills. Was she supposed to pay those for him? She didn't chuck his belongings away. He can have those back when he comes out of jail. Perhaps she should send him the bill for storage which she has been paying at a rate of £60 per month.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..