Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-09-2015, 14:31   #16
Beacon of light

Re: The new bus station and parking areas

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccyMad View Post
Absolutely agree Margaret, the town planners must think we're all a little stupid & will believe what they tell us
I think that the town planners think we are all numpties.
With not enough brain cells to bless ourselves....but they think our legs work alright, or they would not be moving the bus station out of the centre of town.
Margaret Pilkington is online now   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 25-09-2015, 22:31   #17

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
Well not one post left on this thread
I take it nobody cares what happens to Accrington
yet you will start moaning when the one way streets and new parking restrictions come into force
you all had your chance to have your say on parking and the new one way streets with the architect
so don't say you where not informed
Oh right...like we have a say

Like they listened about Whitebirk
Like they listened about moving the bus station in the first place
Like they listened about the whole idea of Pennine Reach
Like they listened about the market

Oh sure....I'm going to waste my time going to a town centre that I never go into anymore unless I'm going to the doctor, dentist or optician..because its easier to hop onto the motorway and go to Preston, Manchester or Bury where there are actual shops and shopping centres?

Who cares about parking when there is no reason to park? Besides which, isn't the whole nonsensical idea to encourage people to use the bus and thus reduce the need for cars/parking?
Old 25-09-2015, 22:54   #18
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by guinness View Post
oh right...like we have a say

Like they listened about whitebirk
Like they listened about moving the bus station in the first place
Like they listened about the whole idea of pennine reach
Like they listened about the market

Oh sure....i'm going to waste my time going to a town centre that i never go into anymore unless i'm going to the doctor, dentist or optician..because its easier to hop onto the motorway and go to preston, manchester or bury where there are actual shops and shopping centres?

Who cares about parking when there is no reason to park? Besides which, isn't the whole nonsensical idea to encourage people to use the bus and thus reduce the need for cars/parking?

image.jpg

My photobucket account http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Accy...?sort=2&page=1
password--Accyweb
Accyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2015, 11:29   #19
Senior Member+

The online plans for the bus station and the artist impression show 6 bus bays.
Last time I walked through the bus staion there were nine buses, including the ones on Infant street and one outside Frank Ogdens. Where will they be parked on the new stands and who will be resposible for watching the drivers out as they reverse.
Are they going to come out onto Blackburn road which is chaotic at times with traffic trying to get out at the bottom of Eagle street.
At present I have no use for buses but the time will come I'm sure.
I assume the tax payer has put a lot of money into the pockets of the thinkers who thought it all up.
Morecambe Ex Pat likes this.
Old 27-09-2015, 08:42   #20
Full Member+

The old Peel Street Bus station had more than twice the capacity of the new design and even that design required buses to be scattered around onto Melbourne Street and Infant Street. Back then there were only 3 operators, if I remember correctly Accrington, Ribble and Rossendale. Now you will have more operators using far fewer stands and can only result in even more chaos.
The old bus station wasn't a perfect design by any means in fact, it was downright dangerous having passengers walking between the buses but it should have given the 'experts' a few clues about the capacity of it's replacement.

How can the Council have passed a design which even a simpleton like me can see is totally wrong in many respects?

http://www.studiosoft.co.uk

Family History - Can you help to fill in the gaps? - http://www.hodgkinsonclark.co.uk
Hodgkinson, Clark, Baxter, Gardner, Spilman, Ward, Lofthouse, Fowler, Westwell
Morecambe Ex Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2015, 10:25   #21
Senior Member+

I had the misfortune to catch a bus the other day. My car was in for valeting.
It was a M&M ( not a sweet).
The bus was ticking over on the stand, door open and obnoxious fumes blowing back in. The driver was looking at (honestly) what I think what was the Koran and ignored ny request to close the door. My eyes were watering.
Road Traffic laws state vehicle engines must not be left running when the vehicle is stationary. Traffic jams are of course an exception.
If anybody connected with M&M buses reads this don't expect me to ride on your rattling antique death traps. The Platters came to mind. Smoke gets in your eyes.
Rant over.
Stevie R likes this.
Old 27-09-2015, 14:53   #22
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morecambe Ex Pat View Post
Back then there were only 3 operators, if I remember correctly Accrington, Ribble and Rossendale.
There was also Blackburn with the stand on Union St. The different services had separate stands on Peel St, Town Hall, Melbourne St and Union St. No confusion, people using the buses knew where to go for their particular service.
Old 27-09-2015, 23:46   #23
Full Member+

I can only remember the Blackburn service operating from the corner of the bus station next to the Market Hall. As for people using buses knowing where their particular service went from, that is not really the basis of an integrated transport system designed to attract visitors from outside the town. If that was a viable system then we wouldn't need a bus station at all and services could be run from bus shelters scattered around the town - oh wait a minute, that pretty much describes links to other towns of the old system. Scattering services around town could be a scene from Little Britain - local buses for local people.

http://www.studiosoft.co.uk

Family History - Can you help to fill in the gaps? - http://www.hodgkinsonclark.co.uk
Hodgkinson, Clark, Baxter, Gardner, Spilman, Ward, Lofthouse, Fowler, Westwell
Morecambe Ex Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2015, 06:50   #24
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

There was also Ribble on Melbourne St.
Old 28-09-2015, 07:19   #25
Senior Member+

I drove for Standerwick Express Coaches and we had the double deck Gay Hostess on the London Run.
We had a stop on Melbourne street opposite Melba Cafe and Old House Pub. It was around 1965 before I moved here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (131.6 KB, 19 views)
wadey and Stevie R like this.
Old 28-09-2015, 22:08   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
I drove for Standerwick Express Coaches and we had the double deck Gay Hostess on the London Run.
We had a stop on Melbourne street opposite Melba Cafe and Old House Pub. It was around 1965 before I moved here.
I remember a Ribble service to London Victoria from Melbourne Street around 1968 on `The White Lady`
Stevie R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2015, 22:49   #27

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie R View Post
I remember a Ribble service to London Victoria from Melbourne Street around 1968 on `The White Lady`
Yeah I went on that a coupla times as a kid, think there was a longish stop off at Coventry but I could be wrong, no doubt Gremlin could confirm.

Around the same time I remember catching the bus for Huncoat outside the library.
Old 29-09-2015, 06:59   #28
Beacon of light

Yes there were bus stops dotted around the town.....and if folk from outside the town needed to catch a bus and didn't know where to go.....they could ask one of the friendly locals.
Margaret Pilkington is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2015, 07:46   #29
Senior Member+

Steve R, It was Standerwick Gay Hostess on the London run. Ribble had White Ladies on Manchester. Blackpool, Morecambe and Southport runs. They didn't have toilet or Hostess on board.

And Guiness. Some services stopped at Coventry or Birmingham Digbeth but the ones with the Hostess on board had a short stop at PMT Newastle u Lyme then belted straight to London.
The M6 ended at Cannock and we used the A5 to the M1 at Crick.
Old 29-09-2015, 07:49   #30
God Member

One of the other interesting issues will be exactly what buses use the new bus station. I've been told M&M & Pilky's won't be due to the cost.
Gremlin likes this.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..