Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2008, 12:59   #16
God Member

Re: The New Waterside Apartments

There are mine shafts all over accy, IIRC Avenue parade area is full of them and those houses haven't sunk yet!

Its a fair old price for an apartment though, perhaps they think that Accy is teh new London.

Or

It could be there is a premiuim as you can throw stuff at the councillors from teh comfort of your own home

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 03-07-2008, 15:04   #17
Resting in Peace

[quote=misskitty;601640]I was talking to Jack's nan who has been up here in Accrington most of her life (although she is from Kent, as i am) and she said when she first came up here the spot that these 'apartments' are built was a mine.......no-one else has mentioned this.Is she mistaken or is it just forgotten/not being talked about?
Obviously the foundations would have been checked etc but still.......i wouldn't move in even if they gave me one for nowt, knowing this.[/quot
They are built on the site of the old Scaithcliffe pit.Don't think I would want to live there either.Went down it 50 yrs ago.
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 15:33   #18
Resident Waffler

Yes it was a mine, yes there are mine workings under most of Accy. No, most of Accy hasn't sunk yet but some has been suffering from subsidence. One would hope that they've checked out the foundations but I still wouldn't like to live overlooking that manky old lodge and the council offices.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 15:35   #19
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
Yes it was a mine, yes there are mine workings under most of Accy. No, most of Accy hasn't sunk yet but some has been suffering from subsidence. One would hope that they've checked out the foundations but I still wouldn't like to live overlooking that manky old lodge and the council offices.
Snob!
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 15:45   #20
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
And we have to remember that the Scaitcliffe pit entrance was right next to where the council offices are now
Old 04-07-2008, 17:05   #21
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
And we have to remember that the Scaitcliffe pit entrance was right next to where the council offices are now
What a shame

Christmas isn't a season. It's a feeling,Edna Ferber.

check out our wedding pictures taken by the lovely gareth at studio25....
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...6&id=619840253

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...6&id=619840253
mrskitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 19:09   #22
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Are you saying the entrance to the council offices should be at the bottom of the pit
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 19:45   #23
Senior Member+

When I started working at Accy Timber it was where Scaitcliffe House is now, I believe the deal that the owner made was they got that site and he got where the old bus depot used to be on Hyndburn Road.

buttonsmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 08:27   #24
Senior Member+

I represent the Council on the private company that built these which is 66% owned (and run) by private entrepreneurs. There were extensive mining activities in the area from Scaitliffe Colliery and there was a deep shaft on site. The site was also contaminated so a lot of money and expertise went into survey's of the site.

The flats have proved very popular and a significant number of buyers want to buy them. The problem is the housing market itself which is on a big swing down, and these apartments particular where there is little like for like means the valuers have difficulty valuing for their lenders in a market where in general they are reluctant to lend 95% mortgages and on top, all property is being down valued 10-20%. It is an unusual situation as buyers want to pay the asking price (unusual at this moment), however lenders are walking away from the housing market unless their loan is totally secure against a down fall in the market.

As for the apartments. They are fabulous. The nearest comparison would be Lock Mill at Blackburn. Scaitcliffe is 10% cheaper, the same sized per unit on average, a better location (in town) with much better views (awesome views over the coppice) and a much better fit out/quality.

Prices starting £79,950. That one is on the 4th floor overlooking the coppice with 4 wall to floor windows to look out of. Very nice.

I think anyone who takes the opportunity to look around them (well worth it) on the Friday or Saturday openings would see how much quality has gone into them and would appreciate just how attractive they are. I am not sure if any small home is worth £100k but that's the going rate.

The new build is commercial premises, office's etc..

Last edited by g jones; 06-07-2008 at 08:33.
g jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 08:29   #25
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by g jones View Post
The new build is commercial premises, office's etc..

For council use or open market ?
Old 06-07-2008, 09:30   #26
God Member

I see no problem.. if people don't like it they won't buy it! The price will be determined on that.
Old 08-07-2008, 22:50   #27
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
For council use or open market ?
Open market dave. Though I'd have thought the Council would consider being all on one site if it was cheaper. As for the flats. There are Government equity schemes where you only buy a % and the Govt buys the rest through an established Mortgage lender. One they are looking at is 60:40. You buy 60%. Worth considering in the current climate. Still doesn't get around thenlenders valuation problem though.

Posted via Mobile Device
g jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 23:19   #28
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb View Post
I see no problem.. if people don't like it they won't buy it! The price will be determined on that.
That and if they have the cash considering the present crunch.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 23:30   #29
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb View Post
very rare, but i agree.
Old 08-07-2008, 23:53   #30
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
very rare, but i agree.
you feeling ok cashy

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..