Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2010, 18:51   #61
Beacon of light

Re: The next five years

I am sure I heard the Liberal democrat who brokered some of the deals between the two parties say that the country would get a referendum on Electoral reform.

Now I guess that would make a difference.....unless of course they couched the questions so that the responses could be interpreted anywhich way e.g.Do you want Electoral Reform?....and not specify what the electoral reform consisted of.
Being of a very cynical bent I wouldn't put it past them(the politicos).
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 12-05-2010, 18:53   #62
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

thinking about this- it means i'm in n i'm staying in? on that basis would it then mean? (put in laymans terms) Clegg has got Cameron by the Short n Curlys Big time?
Old 12-05-2010, 20:07   #63
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
Ok Margaret there will always be a few people claiming benefits that maybe shafting the system but that does not justify a wholesale reduction on benefits, and lets be clear there will be no increase for those you say are in need, the Tories will squeeze all incomes of the less well off.. ALL.
As far as immigrants coming here simply to claim benifits you are sick of hearing about families that get large houses,cars and all the mod cons... can I ask you how many immigrant families you know of personally that do this?.. that is apart from those reported in the Sun or Daily Mail?... I do not believe whole families travel half way across the world for the sake of a few quid.
The Tories make no distinction of where you come from or where you have been.. they will lower the living standards of the poor but maintain the standards of the wealthy..when they say we have to make sacrifices you can be sure it will not be the rich that pay.. that is certain.
You are right of course. What you are saying will probably happen in much less than five years ... or five months. But don't expect to get any credit for being right And don't forget that it will be Brown and Labour that will get the blame for the soon-to-come "austerity measures."
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2010, 09:32   #64
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
You are right of course. What you are saying will probably happen in much less than five years ... or five months. But don't expect to get any credit for being right And don't forget that it will be Brown and Labour that will get the blame for the soon-to-come "austerity measures."
And quite rightly so
Old 13-05-2010, 22:26   #65
God Member

I have heard today that working tax credits will be abolished.
That will hurt many people on low wages.
Has anyone read of the same, or maybe it is just a rumour, hopefully

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2010, 22:38   #66
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
And quite rightly so
Indeed; we wouldn't want any bankers, for example, to be tainted by responsibility for the UK being an economic basket case
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2010, 22:38   #67
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
I have heard today that working tax credits will be abolished.
That will hurt many people on low wages.
Has anyone read of the same, or maybe it is just a rumour, hopefully
Aint seen that Margaret, but the fact that they have reduced M.P.s salarys by 5% today, means quite simply we will all get severly crucified very shortly. thats a knocking bet.
Old 13-05-2010, 22:41   #68
God Member

I have read that the vast majority of tory MPs have a background in banking, accountancy, stock market dealing etc.

Now we know where all those miserable sods have ended up

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2010, 06:40   #69

The new ConDem number 10 charter: "Where there is harmony may we bring discord. Where there is truth may we bring error. Where there is faith may we bring doubt, And where there is hope may we bring despair."

"A new day has dawn has it not?
claytonender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2010, 07:35   #70
Super Moderator

OK, so it takes a 55% majority to shift the government. The way I understand it is, the Tories have 47% of the seats in Parliament. So, even if the coalition falls to bits, the combined opposition parties, including the Lib/Dems could only muster up 53% between 'em. So basically the Tories can rule as a minority government for the next 5 years and there's not a thing anyone can do about it. If I've got that right, it's a disgrace and an affront to democracy. How the hell could the Lib/Dems sign up to it?
Old 14-05-2010, 07:43   #71
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
OK, so it takes a 55% majority to shift the government. The way I understand it is, the Tories have 47% of the seats in Parliament. So, even if the coalition falls to bits, the combined opposition parties, including the Lib/Dems could only muster up 53% between 'em. So basically the Tories can rule as a minority government for the next 5 years and there's not a thing anyone can do about it. If I've got that right, it's a disgrace and an affront to democracy. How the hell could the Lib/Dems sign up to it?
easy theve never had power in our lifetime so would be easy fer em to sign.
Old 14-05-2010, 07:48   #72
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
easy theve never had power in our lifetime so would be easy fer em to sign.
Well, when the coalition breaks up, as it will, can see this being the most unpopular government for a long time.
Old 14-05-2010, 08:13   #73

The Tories never cease to amaze me as to what lengths they will go to to retain power.

I have said on several occasions that if the Tories could change the constitution of Hyndburn Council so that they were the only party who could ever be in control they would. This 55% majority to ovethrow them just shows that they intend changing the unwritten constitution of this country.

Do they really want the streets of our cities to have the scenes like those in Greece - but they have their heads stuck so far up their backsides that they probably don't think anyone will dare to question the party that they consider was born to rule.

Last edited by claytonender; 14-05-2010 at 08:18.
claytonender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2010, 08:26   #74
Beacon of light

With all respect Claytonender, the Labour government had 13 years to put things right and they didn't......they presided over the most sleaziest of administrations and let the country get into a sordid financial mess....and don't tell me that it was a global thing.
Every person who manages a budget tries to keep something in reserve for a 'rainy day'.......Gordon Brown sold off our 'Rainy day' money while the sun was still shining.
While I am not a supporter of a tory government......the electorate has spoken...and in short what they have said is that they really don't trust any party to govern.

Your posts just make you sound like a sore Labour loser.......not a bit graceful in defeat.

I'm sure your party were not expecting to retain power for another term....and in truth you did far better than many expected......you didn't come third like the polls suggested.
Would you have preferred to be in coalition with the Lib dems....and then be held to ransom by the Irish, scottish and Welsh MP's? They would have taken us for every penny, leaving the English people out there with a begging bowl...taking whatever scraps were left over.

The electorate made their views clear...now politicians should wake up and listen...but somehow I really doubt that they will.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2010, 08:35   #75
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

[quote=claytonender;814707]The (INSERT PARTY OF CHOICE) never cease to amaze me as to what lengths they will go to to retain power.

This 55% majority to ovethrow them just shows that they intend changing the unwritten constitution of this country. /quote]

Obviously you're referring to this unwritten constitution !

The British Constitution can be found in a variety of documents. Supporters of our constitution believe that the current way allows for flexibility and change to occur without too many problems. Those who want a written constitution believe that it should be codified so that the public as a whole has access to it – as opposed to just constitutional experts who know where to look and how to interpret it.

As stated elsewhere they're all as bad as each other !

DaveinGermany is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..