Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-05-2010, 08:52   #76
Beacon of light

Re: The next five years

and while I am on about it....am I wrong, or was there much cosying up to Nick Clegg by Gordon Brown...with the intention of retaining power?
'Promise him anything Gord...just keep us lot in No 10'
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 14-05-2010, 08:56   #77
Senior Member+

Didn't Cameron decry Brown for planning the increase in NI and say that wont happen under his Government?....Yet he's still bringing in the 1% NI increase for Employee's and has only stopped the increase for Employer's....we can see which way his dice is loaded!

Be interesting to see how long it takes for the £10,000 start point for paying tax to be brought in too?

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2010, 09:06   #78
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
and while I am on about it....am I wrong, or was there much cosying up to Nick Clegg by Gordon Brown...with the intention of retaining power?
Fer me that was "Much ado about nowt" just the usual tripe from media.
Old 14-05-2010, 09:15   #79
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Let's face it, the likes of Mandelson, Balls, Campbell, Harman would do anything to stay in power. The way I read the situation, though, is that a few Labour politicos like John Reid and David Blunkett showed a modicum of integrity and others at the grassroots agreed. It's probably turned out for the best for them because, sure as hell, the Tories have accepted a poisoned chalice here.
Old 14-05-2010, 09:37   #80
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Let's face it, the likes of Mandelson, Balls, Campbell, Harman would do anything to stay in power. The way I read the situation, though, is that a few Labour politicos like John Reid and David Blunkett showed a modicum of integrity and others at the grassroots agreed. It's probably turned out for the best for them because, sure as hell, the Tories have accepted a poisoned chalice here.
think yer wrong about campbell at least, even though hes a dingle, hes one cute cookie. my reckoning is Cameron won - no majority, Clegg said i'm talking to Tories first as they won! Brown had the sense to hang back n say carry on its only right they talk first, we talk after if clegg wishes, the bottom line is- if no deal Cameron minority= good fer labour! if there was a deal - Even better fer Labour, in the long run, cos this coilition can only benefit labour or i'm a dutchman.
Old 14-05-2010, 09:54   #81
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
think yer wrong about campbell at least, even though hes a dingle, hes one cute cookie. my reckoning is Cameron won - no majority, Clegg said i'm talking to Tories first as they won! Brown had the sense to hang back n say carry on its only right they talk first, we talk after if clegg wishes, the bottom line is- if no deal Cameron minority= good fer labour! if there was a deal - Even better fer Labour, in the long run, cos this coilition can only benefit labour or i'm a dutchman.
Good morning Vanercashman
Old 14-05-2010, 10:04   #82
Full Member+

The next five years ?...By joining with the Lib/Dems, Cameron has brought the Tories from right wing reactionaries (in spite of Eton lot and the toff brigade) to centre left at a stroke thus elbowing 'New Labour' out of that role as they grapple with their leadership issue. The Tories are not by nature a progressive, all encompassing party so the diehards will drag them back to the right as the coalition breaks down.
We all know we're getting coshed for the next two or three years, right ? So what then ? I'll give it twelve months, at best, before the cracks begin to appear in this 'progressive' alliance. If I'm wrong and by a miracle this coalition goes the full five years, Cameron can't lose. If things come good in time for the next election, which would be May 2015, Cameron takes the credit - Tories win election. If things don't recover Cameron blames Lib/Dems and its a two horse contest between Tories and Labour, by then rejuvenated with a new leader. Either way Lib/Dems lose out and disappear for another seventy years whilst we, joe public, (it goes without saying).. get shafted
Reamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2010, 10:04   #83
Resting in Peace

I may be wrong but I think that when Harold Wilsons slogan The Pound In YOUR Pocket was changed by Gordon Brown to Your Pound In MY my pocket that was the beginning of the end.

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2010, 14:55   #84
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benipete View Post
I may be wrong but I think that when Harold Wilson's slogan The Pound In YOUR Pocket was changed by Gordon Brown to Your Pound In MY my pocket that was the beginning of the end.
Was that the pound that Harold devalued Beni
Old 14-05-2010, 18:21   #85
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
OK, so it takes a 55% majority to shift the government. The way I understand it is, the Tories have 47% of the seats in Parliament. So, even if the coalition falls to bits, the combined opposition parties, including the Lib/Dems could only muster up 53% between 'em. So basically the Tories can rule as a minority government for the next 5 years and there's not a thing anyone can do about it. If I've got that right, it's a disgrace and an affront to democracy. How the hell could the Lib/Dems sign up to it?
Ok ... I'm a tad confused by this 55% thingy (been watching the amazing run of the Montreal Canadiens) ... anyway, does this mean that the government can't be turfed even if they lose a vote of no confidence, or their budget is defeated .... even by one vote.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2010, 18:22   #86
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Ok ... I'm a tad confused by this 55% thingy (been watching the amazing run of the Montreal Canadiens) ... anyway, does this mean that the government can't be turfed even if they lose a vote of no confidence, or their budget is defeated .... even by one vote.
yep thats the way i see it.
Old 14-05-2010, 19:26   #87
God Member

dictatorship

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2010, 21:33   #88
Senior Member+

Aint it funny how Cameron was against fixed term Parliament's....untill he got in No 10!...a real honest Joe...is our Dave!

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2010, 23:29   #89
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
It's strange how a party that call themselves "Liberal Democrats" could have the bare faced cheek to sign up for a system that does not allow the electorate the right to vote out a Government... it could only happen in Britain..or Burma..or North Korea.
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2010, 00:21   #90
God Member

Not like me to be a pessimist but someone had to put this vid on.. just could not resist Five Years

Last edited by Mancie; 15-05-2010 at 00:27.
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..