Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-05-2010, 03:44   #91
God Member

Re: The next five years

On a more sombre note a vid of David Cameron and Nick Clegg.. Golden Years (well the next five!)

Last edited by Mancie; 15-05-2010 at 03:46.
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 15-05-2010, 07:53   #92
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Aint seen that Margaret, but the fact that they have reduced M.P.s salarys by 5% today, means quite simply we will all get severly crucified very shortly. thats a knocking bet.
Bear in mind that there are many ways to fiddle the figures.

A 5% reduction in MPs' salaries would show up in pay statistics but an increase in allowances wouldn't unless it was looked into closely. Mind you, they have to live in London for 75% of the time so I'll cut them a little slack.

Much as I would like to believe that there is a ruthless war on waste going on in Westminster, part of me remains cynical.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2010, 07:55   #93
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
It's strange how a party that call themselves "Liberal Democrats" could have the bare faced cheek to sign up for a system that does not allow the electorate the right to vote out a Government... it could only happen in Britain..or Burma..or North Korea.
Sure doesn't sound democratic to me. I always thought that if the government lost a motion of confidence, had it's budget voted down, or was defeated on any "money" bill, even by one vote then the government has to go to the people in another General Election ... even by one vote. I realise that another election hard on the heels of one that elected a minority government would be unpopular, but that's not the point. The opposition over here knows that Canadians don't want another elecction; so, they don't use their power to get rid of the tories. But that's not the point either. Manipulating percentages in order to transform a minority into a majority is pure, unadulterated bs.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2010, 08:22   #94
God Member

Even riots in the streets wouldn't work now, because the police have some seriously powerful gadgets to disperse crowds.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2010, 08:48   #95
Resting in Peace

Quote:
It's strange how a party that call themselves "Liberal Democrats" could have the bare faced cheek to sign up for a system that does not allow the electorate the right to vote out a Government... it could only happen in Britain..or Burma..or North Korea.
Or America
Old 15-05-2010, 10:00   #96
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Its all about facing facts ! Things happen we don't like & disagree with but as sensible adults ? We've got to live with it, or not as the case maybe; eh Mancie ! If everybody threw their toys out of the pram when things don't go their way we'd be in a right old pickle, we just have to accept that !
DaveinGermany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2010, 12:50   #97
God Member

thats 5000 nhs jobs gone in scotland .wheres next ???????
Old 15-05-2010, 17:20   #98
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmonstanley View Post
thats 5000 nhs jobs gone in scotland .wheres next ???????
Are you referring to these cuts ?

New health service fears as job cuts set to rise far beyond 5,000 - Herald Scotland | News | Health

If so were is the relevance to England ? It's the Scottish Parliament that are pursuing these changes, they've been in charge of their own affairs since July 1999 & are not influenced by events in England. The SNP hold sway in Scotland & it is their internal wrangling that are leading to this situation. I'm sorry, but I just can't see the reasoning of how this can be tagged onto the next 5 years of Englands Government.
Old 15-05-2010, 17:39   #99
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
Are you referring to these cuts ?

New health service fears as job cuts set to rise far beyond 5,000 - Herald Scotland | News | Health

If so were is the relevance to England ? It's the Scottish Parliament that are pursuing these changes, they've been in charge of their own affairs since July 1999 & are not influenced by events in England. The SNP hold sway in Scotland & it is their internal wrangling that are leading to this situation. I'm sorry, but I just can't see the reasoning of how this can be tagged onto the next 5 years of Englands Government.
Just so we're 100% sure !

Up to 5,000 Scottish NHS jobs face axe - Telegraph

Thanks to the Barnett formula, this will result in more money for Scotland, with SNP ministers deciding how this is spent.

This being the most important line.

Last edited by DaveinGermany; 15-05-2010 at 17:42.
Old 16-05-2010, 07:55   #100
JFT96

Dave, didn't you know, it's all Maggies fault

Steve Hogarth, lead singer Marillion
Boeing Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2010, 08:21   #101
Beacon of light

I'm not taking the blame!
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2010, 08:37   #102
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
Its all about facing facts ! Things happen we don't like & disagree with but as sensible adults ? We've got to live with it, or not as the case maybe; eh Mancie ! If everybody threw their toys out of the pram when things don't go their way we'd be in a right old pickle, we just have to accept that !
What "facts"? There are no facts, just mere political contingency that insults the majority of voters ... that's those who did not want a Conservative government.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2010, 09:20   #103
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I'm not taking the blame!
Off course not we wouldn't insult you by calling you maggie, your Margaret to us always have been always will be
Old 16-05-2010, 10:04   #104
JFT96

Seeing that Labour lost almost 100 seats I would say the majority did not want a Labour government

Steve Hogarth, lead singer Marillion
Boeing Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2010, 10:08   #105
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boeing Guy View Post
Seeing that Labour lost almost 100 seats I would say the majority did not want a Labour government
Mores to the point they didn't want Gordon proped up by noble lords like Mandy

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..