Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree44Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-06-2021, 11:38   #16
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Re: The Olympics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark2009 View Post
I presume you agree with free speech as a concept or is everybody who disagrees with you "stupid"
A person can have pride in their Country whilst allowing the 'stupid' to differ in opinion, though quite often the overwhelming fervour of tunnel vision can interfere with freedom of speech.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 15-06-2021, 11:54   #17
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
I presume you agree with free speech as a concept or is everybody who disagrees with you "stupid"
probably
Old 15-06-2021, 11:58   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
A person can have pride in their Country whilst allowing the 'stupid' to differ in opinion, though quite often the overwhelming fervour of tunnel vision can interfere with freedom of speech.
National Pride is a very wide ranging concept. There are things about the UK that I am not proud about. Perhaps any discussion needs to go deeper than the sweeping statement that People who dont have National Pride are stupid.
monkey hanger likes this.
Mark2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2021, 12:07   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by skuta View Post
They talk about "National Pride" as if it's a real thing. Bragging rights to host a massive, over-hyped, pointless TV event.

As usual it's all about Money. I couldn't even name a single participant. It's meaningless to me.

They say to invest only where a return is expected. This time I really don't see a Cash Bonanza return that justifies the insane expense of upgrading facilities.
Misread. I now see that Skuta was commenting that the idea that National Pride was not a real thing. It is surely an abstract noun/ concept?
Old 15-06-2021, 18:21   #20

[QUOTE=Mark2009;1254563]Misread. I now see that Skuta was commenting that the idea that National Pride was not a real thing. It is surely an abstract noun/ concept?

Oh how I wish that I was as intelligent as you tend to think that you are,
cashman likes this.
taddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2021, 18:36   #21

Aren't you glad we live in a country where you can freely make personal comments
Old 16-06-2021, 02:14   #22

Cashie, if your idea as to the stupidity or otherwise of a person is based on if they always agree with you or not – the ‘nots’ being the stupid ones, then I am ‘probably’ very, very, stupid.....
dotti34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2021, 07:59   #23
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotti34 View Post
Cashie, if your idea as to the stupidity or otherwise of a person is based on if they always agree with you or not – the ‘nots’ being the stupid ones, then I am ‘probably’ very, very, stupid.....
dont think so dotti,i know quite a few peronally that do not agree with me and they are far from stupid, but i think using that description is not very bright.
Old 16-06-2021, 08:51   #24
God Member

Quote:
Aren't you glad we live in a country where you can freely make personal comments
well enjoy it whilst you can. some will want all comments by some that do not follow a certain line banned for life until they impersonate a sheep.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2021, 08:56   #25
God Member

Quote:
National Pride is a very wide ranging concept. There are things about the UK that I am not proud about. Perhaps any discussion needs to go deeper than the sweeping statement that People who dont have National Pride are stupid.
its so wide ranging with everyone having their own opinion on what this pride is. from a millionaire to a rough sleeper, a far right winger to a far leftie they will all have some pride in their country. the problem is they,ll be all different and some would not class them as something to actually be proud of.
Old 16-06-2021, 17:40   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey hanger View Post
well enjoy it whilst you can. some will want all comments by some that do not follow a certain line banned for life until they impersonate a sheep.
Dont get me wrong, I can take personal comments till the cows come home. They are of little consequence.
My earlier comment was illustrating my support for anybody to have their own opiinions. Challenge mine by all means, but if all you can offer is personal remarks, veiled or otherwise, please dont waste your time.
Old 17-06-2021, 08:58   #27
God Member

Quote:
Dont get me wrong, I can take personal comments till the cows come home. They are of little consequence.
My earlier comment was illustrating my support for anybody to have their own opiinions. Challenge mine by all means, but if all you can offer is personal remarks, veiled or otherwise, please dont waste your time.
i was not having a go at you at all. i was commenting on the present day situation of where comments on certain issues seem only valid if they follow one line or another and free speech being reserved for certain minorities.
Old 17-06-2021, 11:36   #28
Beacon of light

As I said in another post it is so easy to misconstrue what is said in writing.

The internet can be a very difficult medium to get across the finer points of a discussion, because you cannot see the person you are talking to...gauge their expressions, body language etc.
I truly think that Monkey Hanger was referring to the current woke attitudes of some people.
But then again I could be wrong on that too.
monkey hanger likes this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2021, 13:14   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey hanger View Post
i was not having a go at you at all. i was commenting on the present day situation of where comments on certain issues seem only valid if they follow one line or another and free speech being reserved for certain minorities.
Sorry if I misunderstood, agree it is easy to not get the writers meaning in an Internet posting
Old 17-06-2021, 13:20   #30

[QUOTE=Mark2009;1254570]Aren't you glad we live in a country where you can freely make personal comments

Nothing personal, just an opinion.
taddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..