Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-07-2006, 16:15   #1
Apprentice Geriatric

Angry The Post Office Is Dying. Long Live The PO.

Why is this government trying to starve the Post Office of business?

First it was the closure of hundreds of sub post offices and now much of the Post Office’s traditional service is being taken away.

In the not too distant future the savings account is due to cease and that will also mean that those of us who use a piece of plastic to draw our pension or benefits at the Post Office won’t be able to do so. We will have to use our bank accounts.

That is for the future but what is happening right now is that as from the end of this month we will no longer be able to renew our TV License at the Post Office. Instead we can renew the license at over 15,000 supermarkets, petrol stations, local stores, newsagents and convenience stores where the PayPoint sign is displayed.

Or we can set up a Direct Debit or pay on-line or by phone.

What is going to be next? The payment of bills like electricity, gas and water or opt for DD.
Old 23-07-2006, 16:30   #2
God Member

Re: The Post Office Is Dying. Long Live The PO.

I'm quite happy for the post office to be concentrating on more of it's core business, posting things.

Furthermore, the post office got their best profit ever in 2005. I don't think it is dieing, specialy with all the new business generated by internet buying.

Last edited by andrewb; 23-07-2006 at 16:49.
andrewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2006, 16:42   #3

Good answer.
Lea
x
ploppysirploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2006, 16:50   #4
Beacon of light

Isn't it just another way of weakening the fabric of British society.
Cyfr.......I'm sure the volume of letters has fallen since the advent of e-mail....and it may fall yet further when the new postal charges come into effect on the 21st of August......prices hardly ever come down do they?
A lot of parcels and mail come by courier now....so what core business are they hoping to retain?
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2006, 16:52   #5
God Member

Margaret I understand that im sure there is a lot less letters than there could be. However I think people under estimate how much the post office is used for parcels, I really do. Many of the online businesses use them and MILLIONS of people on ebay use them to post things. Thats why I think the core business still exists
Old 23-07-2006, 17:00   #6
Beacon of light

I buy stuff on the internet and you would be surprised how often it is TNT doing the delivery.
I am in favour of them not pushing products like Motor Insurance, Phone cards and the sundry other services that you are encouraged to purchase when you go in to post a parcel or letter....but I think they should maintain the ability for pensioners to pick up their pensions, and the facility to pay bills etc. Many pensioners have no internet access and find other forms of payment confusing. I remember when there used to be Gas showrooms and Electric Board showrooms in almost every town.......and years ago that is where you paid your bills. When these closed, we were told.....'don't worry, you'll be able to pay your bills at the good old post office'......the post office is a british institution.......and certainly the older people won't want it to disappear.
Old 23-07-2006, 17:29   #7
Beacon of light

My mum is 79 and disabled....she takes a taxi down to the GPO to get her pension.......yes she has a bank account....at the Yorkshire Bank....can't get her wheelchair up the steps.
And whenever we go away the first place she looks for is the Post Office so that she can get her pension while we are away....I haven't seen any Yorkshire banks down south.
Cyfr, you only need to go into the main post office on any day of the week to see pensioners getting their money AND paying their bills.......so yes the demise of these services will seriously affect them.
Old 23-07-2006, 17:29   #8
Apprentice Geriatric

Unhappy Re: The Post Office Is Dying. Long Live The PO.

The ability to pay utility bills in a post office and a local one at that was great for Mr & Mrs Public. No more trips to town to pay. Get your pension, pay your bills and go home. If you get mugged on the way home at least you’ve paid your bills.

But the whole situation has just about come full circle. Local post offices closing so it’s back to town to collect and pay. At least we could do them both in the same place. Soon we will have to go to our bank, withdraw the cash then find a PayPoint shop to pay a bill. Although as far as I am aware you can still pay utility bills at your bank.

So it’s a loss for the post office and a gain for the banks. Don’t they make enough money already?
Old 23-07-2006, 17:31   #9
Resting in Peace

Sorry Margaret, have to disagree with the right of pensioners to pick up 'their pension' at the Post Office. Time moves on and and I have mine put into my Bank Account .. so convenient. New pensioners of today, and indeed, over the last 20 years are conversant with the art of banking, direct debits, standing order, etc and if they aren't, plenty of help around. Television licences by direct debit give me the release of trailing to the post office now and no danger of forgetting.. so easy. Pay most of my bills this way, it's great.
If they then wish to draw cash, usually a cash point so much nearer to them.
For instance, should the Co-op in Oswaldtwistle be granted these services and you lived around the war memorial .. wouldn't have to go down to Church or to the top climbing the incline, can nip across to the Co-op, do your shopping, pay for your T.V. licence and draw out cash at the same time. All sounds much more convenient to me.

Find it a pain in the ass when I have to tax my car and no getting out of going to the Post Office then. Usually, lunch-time of course, and held up by a line of pensioners collecting their pension, counting it out at the counter and carefully placing in their wallets, purses ... for all to see !!

Just think they can't be bothered for it to go through the bank and being awkward for the sake of it, much safer too. These type of pensioners are probably the ones that keep their money under their mattresses.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2006, 17:37   #10
Beacon of light

Katex...I like it ....you always tell it like it is. And while some pensioners find that they can do their banking in the usual way.....AT a bank..... there are some that find the process confusing and intimidating......and I do banking for my Mum, but she still gets her pension via the PO....mainly because she finds that easier. Ok, we may find the pensioner an inconvenience...especially if we are in a hurry, but we have to remember that there, but for the grace of God, go you and me.
I hope not to be in the position of not being able to pay my bills online....and to be able to get out to the bank....but you never know do you?
Old 23-07-2006, 17:41   #11
Beacon of light

You would be surprised at the number of youngish pensioners who do not trust direct debit (I am one of them)....so that is one option out of the window....not everyone has access to online transactions....and with telephone bill paying....how many buttons do you have to rerss before you get through to a real person.
And in my limited experience, these are all barriers to pensioners getting a good service.
Old 23-07-2006, 17:43   #12
Resting in Peace

Wasn't really grumbling about having to wait, just threw that in .. however .. always feel a little dangerous for them (whoops .. me now ).

Direct debit is just soooo easy and don't need a degree and no need to go out anywhere to pay your bills.

Jambutty: not bothered if the banks are making too much money in sending direct debits through them .. worth every penny they make for the convenience.

Edit: Can't remember the last time I had any need to go to the bank ?
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2006, 17:49   #13
Beacon of light

When you are on a limited budget...as most pensioners are, you sometimes have to prioritise the bills that you pay....no I am not saying don't pay the bills, but what I am saying is that sometimes pensioners will pay a bill a few days later....with direct debit that option would not be available.It is about having control of your money. If it becomes a choice between paying the gas bill and eating....then the gas bill may have to wait....and this is becoming ever more likely in the current energy(no pun intended) situation. I have had a bad experience with Direct debit....and although it was the fault of the bank I will not use direct debit again
Old 23-07-2006, 18:06   #14
Apprentice Geriatric

Unhappy Re: The Post Office Is Dying. Long Live The PO.

Quote:
Sorry Margaret, have to disagree with the right of pensioners to pick up 'their pension' at the Post Office. Time moves on and and I have mine put into my Bank Account .. so convenient. New pensioners of today, and indeed, over the last 20 years are conversant with the art of banking, direct debits, standing order, etc and if they aren't, plenty of help around. Television licences by direct debit give me the release of trailing to the post office now and no danger of forgetting.. so easy. Pay most of my bills this way, it's great.
If they then wish to draw cash, usually a cash point so much nearer to them.
For instance, should the Co-op in Oswaldtwistle be granted these services and you lived around the war memorial .. wouldn't have to go down to Church or to the top climbing the incline, can nip across to the Co-op, do your shopping, pay for your T.V. licence and draw out cash at the same time. All sounds much more convenient to me.

Find it a pain in the ass when I have to tax my car and no getting out of going to the Post Office then. Usually, lunch-time of course, and held up by a line of pensioners collecting their pension, counting it out at the counter and carefully placing in their wallets, purses ... for all to see !!

Just think they can't be bothered for it to go through the bank and being awkward for the sake of it, much safer too. These type of pensioners are probably the ones that keep their money under their mattresses.
It is a long while since I read such a selfish and self centred post #9 as yours katex. It highlights just how far down the me, me, me, me, me road society has progressed.

Pensioners have exactly the same rights as anyone else including you. If those rights include getting their pension at the post office and it means you have to queue behind them whilst they diligently and carefully put away their money then that is just tough. Your answer is not to go at lunchtime. Go on the way home from work. In any case most pensioners are clear of the post office by late morning.

I don’t like Direct Debit because I have been burned in the past. OK! So I did get my money back - eventually - but it cost ME time and money to do so. I have also been burned when using a local shop to buy gas credits on a card meter. My purchases never arrived at the gas company and when I finally managed to get my meter changed to a quarterly one I got a shocking bill that included a demand for money I had already paid. That too took ages to sort out and it also cost me time and money in phone calls and letters.

What if you lived at the bottom end of Union Road?

Most pensioners are not awkward for the sake of it they are just old and not quite as quick in thought and deed as they used to be. One day, with a bit of luck you might become a pensioner yourself and I suppose you will then whinge at the younger people as they push past you on the street or in a supermarket aisle.

Is this what I served in the Navy for and worked damned hard all my life at the expense of my health, to be treated like some pariah?
Old 23-07-2006, 18:21   #15
Senior Member+

It will be a shame if the post office is franchised and loses its Crown status. Its advantageous that the town has a Crown Post Office and is an advert of the Borough's status. It will be the loss of more quality jobs and the likelehood of employment beng minimum wage. Something that does the Borough no good and or the morale of skilled staff. Some services at the top end will be lost but the biggest risk is lack of quality, less staff, longer queues, impatient children demanding uneccessary eye level products or having to push pass rows of books, biscuits or tins to get to the two counters that remain in the far corner.

Its all part of the race to the bottom that we are told is inevitable and to accept.
g jones is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..