Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-06-2008, 16:59   #46
Apprentice Geriatric

Exclamation Re: The Price Of Oil !

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullseyebarb View Post
On the contrary. I am contributing to the economy of my country. Utilizing airlines, rental car companies, hotels, restaurants and shops, etc., helps to ensure that my fellow Americans maintain full employment.

So, which irks you the most......my having the freedom and means to travel at will or that I relish the fact?

It is worth noting that no matter when or where I travel, I sure do run into a lot of Brits - all of whom are having a whale of a time. Quite in keeping with the concept of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. Perhaps you should reserve a little of your ill-conceived contempt for them. After all, how dare any of us spend our money in ways that do not earn the jambutty seal of approval.
Absolute codswallop.

You admit that you don’t give a fig for your carbon footprint just as long as you can continue your life style as you want and excuse it by saying that you are helping to maintain American’s full employment. And this in the full knowledge that there are millions around the world starving because their crops won’t grow because of changed weather patterns, which in all probability are cause by excess CO2 in the atmosphere.

In spite of your puerile denials and protestations that is being utterly selfish.
Old 27-06-2008, 17:00   #47
Apprentice Geriatric

Exclamation Re: The Price Of Oil !

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
good on yer Barb, go fer it girl, stuff the saddos,enjoy life.
I have enjoyed my life and continue to do so albeit cut back drastically.

The only saddos are those who live in denial of what is happening to the world and selfishly bash on as if nothing is happening.
Old 27-06-2008, 17:05   #48
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: The Price Of Oil !

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Couldn't have put it better myself cashy, whats the use of living if you can't enjoy life, I know there are people who like to think they can rule your every waking monment, but we'll get rid of them at the next election
And replace them by the same under a different name.
Old 27-06-2008, 17:07   #49
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: The Price Of Oil !

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
I have enjoyed my life and continue to do so albeit cut back drastically.

The only saddos are those who live in denial of what is happening to the world and selfishly bash on as if nothing is happening.
disagree,the saddos are those who think individual effort will make a jot of differance, when governments get off the pot n become really serious then we will perhaps see a differance. then i will take things more seriously.
Old 27-06-2008, 17:18   #50

Quote:
Hang on a mo!

You stated that your Congress doesn’t allow the American citizen to utilise the country’s resources, yet you still have oil etc aplenty.

If it didn’t come from the states it must have come from your abroad.

That is using the world’s supplies whilst conserving your own.

And that is not just “Hooey” to your denial but “Phooey” as well.
It's the word pillage that I object to. It suggests the taking of booty. Oil is a world commodity which we buy on the open market at the same price as everyone else. Our major suppliers are our neighbors Canada and Mexico. The Saudis come in third.

It isn't as if these yahoos in Congress are preserving our own resources for future use. No, they want us to wait until "alternative" energy sources have been perfected and use no oil at all.
bullseyebarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2008, 17:41   #51

Quote:
Absolute codswallop.

You admit that you don’t give a fig for your carbon footprint just as long as you can continue your life style as you want and excuse it by saying that you are helping to maintain American’s full employment. And this in the full knowledge that there are millions around the world starving because their crops won’t grow because of changed weather patterns, which in all probability are cause by excess CO2 in the atmosphere.

In spite of your puerile denials and protestations that is being utterly selfish.
Because I don't buy into the carbon footprint fraud. Obviously, you think that man is so omnipotent that he is capable of altering the climate. What hubris.

The poor millions of whom you speak suffer less from the natural weather cycles than they do under dreadful governments, a lack of freedom and capital investment.

Maybe when that buffoon Al Gore quits flying around in a private jet, using up massive amounts of energy at his four homes across the country, all whilst preaching to us that we ought to stop harming the planet, I might reconsider. But I know that is not going to happen because this whole riff is about control and depriving us of our freedom. The elites will still be doing whatever they want to do.

bullseyebarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2008, 19:40   #52
God Member

Quote:
disagree,the saddos are those who think individual effort will make a jot of differance, when governments get off the pot n become really serious then we will perhaps see a differance. then i will take things more seriously.
Have to disagree with you on this one. If we sit on our duffs waiting for government to do something then it will be too late. Govts in general don't give a rat's ass about anything but getting elected. And if being green will do this then they will be greener than Kermit. If enough individuals get green, then the pressure will be on govt to act .... if "green" means votes then they will act. And it's not really govt that got us into this mess; it is us ... we wasted the gas when it was cheap. My first car, when I came to Canada was a '69 Dodge Charger, 383 magnum, with a six pack, headers and racing cams. I could pass anything on the road but a gas station .... but with gas at 45 cents a gallon, who gave a damn. In our next general election ... and with a minority govt, this could happen at any time ... the two major issues will be, getting our young men and women out of the mess in Afghanistan (85 killed in action so far, and god knows how many mangled physically and mentally), and getting serious about the environment. Our present PM is parroting GW's bs, I don't think he is going to take his head from out of his rear end long enough to look around and see that Canadians are getting tired of his "don't give a damn about the environment" attitude. We have already destroyed one political party for getting too cozy with the US. And we can do it again
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2008, 11:29   #53
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

know what yer saying eric, but do you honestly think governments of nations like china, india, etc will do anything to save the planet? they don't even give a rats about their own people, me n you n uncle tom cobbley doin our bit,will not make a jot of differance cos money does not take notice of oiks.
Old 28-06-2008, 12:01   #54
Resting in Peace

Quote:
And replace them by the same under a different name.
This lot are pasing legislation after legislation JB, and as soon as it upsets their own backbenchers they have to start making deals to satisfy these decenters, Its a pity they don't think things through before acting, scrapping he 10p tax rate spings readily to mind
Old 28-06-2008, 17:26   #55
God Member

Quote:
know what yer saying eric, but do you honestly think governments of nations like china, india, etc will do anything to save the planet? they don't even give a rats about their own people, me n you n uncle tom cobbley doin our bit,will not make a jot of differance cos money does not take notice of oiks.
I think that you are looking in the wrong direction for problems. I believe that the Chinese are aware of the problems of global warming and industrial pollution, and so are the Indians. In both countries, there is a level of political, and technological sophistication that we don't take into account in the West. If you look west you will see the US, with a President who can't spell enviormnt, let alone understand the imlplications of global warming, who consume an outrageous amount of the world's resources.... and there are the greedy, arrogant gun toting gasguzzling idiots who live in certain areas of that country .... which by the way decided not to sign on to Kyoto, like the conservative govt in my country. There are people in power in Canada who see the disappearance of the Arctic summer ice, not as an ecological disaster, but as an opportunity to exploit the mineral wealth in the area for chrissake I also don't by the argument that it is the emerging economic powers who are to blame for the mess that we in the west have made of the planet.
Old 28-06-2008, 20:12   #56
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
I also don't by the argument that it is the emerging economic powers who are to blame for the mess that we in the west have made of the planet.
i don't think that at all, just pointing out imho that as far across the globe as you can travel, nobody that really matters or can do owt gives a rats, but the common people will be expected to save the planet, or at least in this country- pay fer the priviledge, well that don't sit well with me.
Old 28-06-2008, 20:25   #57
Apprentice Geriatric

Angry Re: The Price Of Oil !

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
This lot are pasing legislation after legislation JB, and as soon as it upsets their own backbenchers they have to start making deals to satisfy these decenters, Its a pity they don't think things through before acting, scrapping he 10p tax rate spings readily to mind
That’ll be the day when any government comes up with what they consider to be a bright idea and thinks it through before implementing it.

In the meantime we pay the price. We always have and we always will until such times as true democracy can be implemented.
Old 30-06-2008, 08:43   #58
God Member

Quote:
That’ll be the day when any government comes up with what they consider to be a bright idea and thinks it through before implementing it.

In the meantime we pay the price. We always have and we always will until such times as true democracy can be implemented.
"True democray" ... are we talking Athens in the fifth century BC ... or is this something you have just come up with that you will explain later And if there is a true democracy, is the one that exists now a "false" democracy.
Old 30-06-2008, 09:14   #59
Resting in Peace

Quote:

It looks like the latest green tax to bite the dust is the increase in road tax for older cars, yet another U Turn, whats the point o making legislation only to scarp it when the Indians get restless, this ain't government its total capitulation
Old 30-06-2008, 13:11   #60
Apprentice Geriatric

Question Re: The Price Of Oil !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
"True democray" ... are we talking Athens in the fifth century BC ... or is this something you have just come up with that you will explain later And if there is a true democracy, is the one that exists now a "false" democracy.
As I understand it democracy is the rule by the wishes of the majority. As far as the UK is concerned that is not the case. The government voted into office is there because of the wishes of the minority of those eligible to vote in the country. But the government twists the democracy rule by using the majority of those who cast a vote.

However even then democracy is squashed. Each MP voted into Parliament has one vote when it comes to deciding a course of action. Yet one MP can have attained office with 65,000 people voting for him whilst another only had 10,000 vote for him. Yet both votes in Parliament carry the same weight.

A strange form of democracy!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..