Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2008, 23:43   #1
God Member

The Price Of Oil !

The Yanks (well the Democrats) are up in arms because the price of a gallon of petrol has gone over 4 dollars.. I reckon that to be around £2.50 a gallon... the oil companies have as usual, reported massive increases in profit.
When will the Governments put a stop to this blatant profiteering ?
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 10-06-2008, 23:47   #2
God Member

Re: The Price Of Oil !

I blame the conservative party.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 23:51   #3
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
I blame the conservative party.
nice one...... mancie theres more chance of seeing a statue of hitler in Tel Aviv n the goverment reducing the taxation.
Old 10-06-2008, 23:57   #4
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
nice one...... mancie theres more chance of seeing a statue of hitler in Tel Aviv n the goverment reducing the taxation.
I don't mean taxing them (oil barons) I mean more pressure has to be put on them.. the sort of pressure they may take onboard.. like sending armed forces into the board rooms!
Old 11-06-2008, 00:09   #5
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
I don't mean taxing them (oil barons) I mean more pressure has to be put on them.. the sort of pressure they may take onboard.. like sending armed forces into the board rooms!
i know that mate, but cannot see any otherway to reduce the price, these people are flogging more oil to the likes of china,india etc, and are perfectly happy to do so,without increasing production, so to put it blunt, they have us oer a barrel.
Old 11-06-2008, 03:38   #6
Apprentice Geriatric

Angry Re: The Price Of Oil !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
The Yanks (well the Democrats) are up in arms because the price of a gallon of petrol has gone over 4 dollars.. I reckon that to be around £2.50 a gallon... the oil companies have as usual, reported massive increases in profit.
When will the Governments put a stop to this blatant profiteering ?
If you think that is profiteering what about the $23 billion that mainly US and a few UK businesses have managed to con out of the US Treasury - as revealed on Panorama Special last night.
Old 11-06-2008, 05:05   #7
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
If you think that is profiteering what about the $23 billion that mainly US and a few UK businesses have managed to con out of the US Treasury - as revealed on Panorama Special last night.
I do think it's the big companies making a mint.. now ..is this about the "He's got crop circles.. on his head,...crop circles on his head ..he's got crop circles on his head.. he's got crop circles on his head ?
Old 11-06-2008, 10:31   #8
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
The US Federal Reserve is farcical. I will be watching this on catchup service, thank-you for raising it Jambutty!
Old 11-06-2008, 18:47   #9
JFT96

Well it would help if our Labour Goverment would reduce tax a bit.
More chance of bombıng Iran than that though.
Funny though £2.50 per gallon I would be happy to pay that, just goes to show how much duty there ıs on fuel here.
Opec need to be dealt wıth.
İt's all well and good for Gordon Frown to go on about North Sea Crude, but the oıl we get from there cannot be refined in our refinerıes, ıt ıs not sweet enough, So we send it off to the east.

Steve Hogarth, lead singer Marillion
Boeing Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 19:03   #10
Resting in Peace

May be wrong but i think the tax in America is about 17% while we pay 80%,Big differance
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 19:10   #11
JFT96

Must be Thatchers Fault then!!!!!!!!! Or is it Heath's????

Steve Hogarth, lead singer Marillion
Boeing Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 19:24   #12
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boeing Guy View Post
Must be Thatchers Fault then!!!!!!!!! Or is it Heath's????
All our leaders that still think we are a world power and spend our money accordingly.I'me not taking the party whip on this one.All to blame as far as I can see.
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 19:31   #13
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benipete View Post
All our leaders that still think we are a world power and spend our money accordingly.I'me not taking the party whip on this one.All to blame as far as I can see.
no question at all that is the case.
Old 11-06-2008, 19:39   #14
God Member

People are as much to blame in many ways, we have all watched it happening and have sat back and allowed it, we know they always punish the smokers, drinkers and drivers, and many still do all these at the same rate they always have, granted, some people have given up smoking, and the non smokers havnt gone back drinking, but very few use the car less, or make use of one car instead of several cars, between a family.
Old 11-06-2008, 19:45   #15
God Member

So everyone is still blaming the oil companies and government; but the real culprit is us. GM doesn't send goons to force us to buy the big gas guzzlers. It's us the consumers who have squandered the oil with the SUVs and the pickups and the minivans and now we have to pay the price. There is a positive side to all this; we are being forced into conservation, forced by high prices to do what we should have been doing years ago. Whole new industries and opportunities are opening up in the "green" sector. Wherever you drive in Canada you can notice the increase in the number of hybrid cars, particularly the Toyota Prius. The extra tax dollars our governments, federal and provincial, are collecting are being passed back to the people in the form of reduced income and sales taxes, increased govt spending on health and education, and passed directly to municipalities for infrastructure improvements. And the point that was made about low taxes in the States: what would you rather have, cheap gas or govt. funded health care?
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..