Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-03-2010, 03:30   #1
God Member

the Profumo scandal ...60s recap

just came across this 'you tube' clip , may bring a smile to older Accy web users who were around at the time ...... looking back it seems amazing that a couple of girls both under 22 were able to bring down a Govt.
a more innocent time ...

ps dedicated to MargaretR ("well he would say that") and Jaysay (a true blue Tory)

no surprise that the chap from the BBC is wearing a pink shirt
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 13-03-2010, 07:36   #2
Give, give, give member

Re: the Profumo scandal ...60s recap

I've posted before how I got to know John Profumo through work in the nineties, and it always amazed me that this mild, gentle, dedicated charity worker was the man involved in the most infamous sex scandal of all time, and who brought down the government.

Millicent Martin was funny in the clip. As they said, the satirists of the day must have thought they'd struck pay dirt.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2010, 08:45   #3
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
I've posted before how I got to know John Profumo through work in the nineties, and it always amazed me that this mild, gentle, dedicated charity worker was the man involved in the most infamous sex scandal of all time, and who brought down the government.

Millicent Martin was funny in the clip. As they said, the satirists of the day must have thought they'd struck pay dirt.
Think you can put it down to the failing in some males of their genitals ruling their brain Rindi
Old 13-03-2010, 08:45   #4
Senior Member+

I've stayed at Cliveden a couple of times, and swam in that very same pool!!......not in the 60's i hasten to add!...Its a magnificent place...ruddy expensive though!....One of Stephen Ward's drawings of Christine Keeler used to hang in the Gents Loo!!

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2010, 08:49   #5
Super Moderator

Cheers, SJ, that brought back memories.

One thing about Profumo, though...at least he accepted the blame like a man, apologised to the House, then as Garinda says, dedicated the rest of his life to good works.

What a contrast to the shameless sods on both sides of the House today who simply brazen it out and refuse to give up their positions of privilege and power unless they are dragged kicking and screaming from them.
Old 13-03-2010, 08:50   #6
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
just came across this 'you tube' clip , may bring a smile to older Accy web users who were around at the time ...... looking back it seems amazing that a couple of girls both under 22 were able to bring down a Govt.
a more innocent time ...

ps dedicated to MargaretR ("well he would say that") and Jaysay (a true blue Tory)

no surprise that the chap from the BBC is wearing a pink shirt
Well the Guy is Andrew Marr after all
Old 13-03-2010, 09:37   #7
God Member

Lord Denning conducted the 'public enquiry' and produced the Denning Report.
It was a bestseller - people queued to buy it - I had a copy - I recall it being 3"thick

Like any scandal the whole truth didn't get completely revealed.
We never found out the identity of the man who wore a hood mask at Cliveden orgies - Phil Battenburg-cake was allegedly the one, but we will never be told that will we?

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2010, 18:25   #8
Resting in Peace

And does it really matter? After all It will never happen again!!

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..