Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: do you think the railways should be re-nationalised
yes 21 87.50%
no 3 12.50%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2014, 18:22   #106
Resting in Peace

Re: the railways

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
You are like a broken record. Your lovely Labour government never did anything to nationalise it again.
Gordon and Tony didn't want to turn their shares in Neil
Old 07-01-2014, 21:29   #107
God Member

true but hopefully our ed will bite the bullet. we have wasted at least £300 billion on stupid ideology of giving private firms billions to pay a dividend. this is really a waste of money.
Old 08-01-2014, 15:33   #108
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmonstanley View Post
true but hopefully our ed will bite the bullet.
If you believe that, there's no hope for you.
Old 08-01-2014, 18:10   #109
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
If you believe that, there's no hope for you.
There never has been Wyn
Old 08-01-2014, 18:10   #110
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
but hopefully our ed will bite the bullet.
That'll be difficult, unless he can turn his head through 180!
Old 09-01-2014, 23:24   #111
God Member

we will never know how much was paid for the dividend Why is outsourcing shrouded in secrecy? - Telegraph
Old 15-01-2014, 23:00   #112
Senior Member+

What record does the local Accrington MP have on transport?
Does he ever raise any questions to the secretary of state for transport?
DAV007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2014, 00:43   #113
Senior Member+

Always - until I became the whip for the transport team and therefore can't. Strangely whips in government can't speak at all on anything. I asked Jack Straw to ask my last question at the last transport questions. I write to the SoS all the time and there's an interesting snippet in my ob column this week.

I have been very vocal on all transport issues in the area.

Labour. There's a policy review on rail. We have opposed the privatisation of East Coast so far.
g jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2014, 03:14   #114
Senior Member+

G Jones,
I presume you are the local MP?
My question was not meant as a slur, far from it.

I agree, Labour have played it right to oppose changing east coast from direct operated railways (DOS).
For once Labour is winning the economic argument against the coalition that DOS operating the east cost franchise is making profit for the tax payer while providing a better service than the previous contractor who failed.
Labours support for DOS retaining east coast is also helping to demonstrate to the voters the conservatives are wanting to re-franchise based on nothing more than ideology.

As Network Rail's debt is now officially on the government books (lets not forget it was a Labour policy to keep it off), is there not a strong argument to bring the relationship between Network Rail and DOS closer together?
Is there not an economic argument due to the heavy taxpayers contributions, that better financial value would be achieved to move towards a 'in house' asset management and operation?
There are many benefits which would result from such a move.
cmonstanley likes this.

Last edited by DAV007; 16-01-2014 at 03:18.
Old 16-01-2014, 21:47   #115
Senior Member+

I'm not an expert on this and by the sounds of it you know lot more than me. I have only just joined the transport team.

As I understand it the trains are not nationally owned assets but leased. The TOC and rail network are.

You're absolutely right in another sense too. ECML is a complete change in policy by any party in 20 years and in a sense a new debate on future options has been opened up.
g jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2014, 22:53   #116
Senior Member+

There would appear to be a middle ground which the east coast franchise has highlighted.
A none for profit train operator alongside a none for profit railway asset steward and we have a better (not perfect) solution than the current status quo found on all of the other franchise deals.

Regarding the government backed train lease via the banks and financial institutions, this is the biggest scandal of the lot.
Old 13-02-2014, 06:44   #117
God Member

InterCity 225 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia they were given away a pure scandal.
Old 24-07-2014, 09:50   #118
God Member

well i kind of like what ed milliband has put forward. it would mean the British infrastructure service's would be able to bid to run over seas infrastructures . a good way to raise money to invest in British infrastructure.
Old 24-07-2014, 12:20   #119
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
well i kind of like what ed milliband has put forward. it would mean the British infrastructure service's would be able to bid to run over seas infrastructures . a good way to raise money to invest in British infrastructure.

They can't run our own properly, do you think Jonny Foreigner will want them messing up theirs as well?
Old 24-07-2014, 17:07   #120
God Member

Quote:
true but hopefully our ed will bite the bullet. .

ya know i kinda wish he would as well after emptying the other chambers of the gun into a few of his MPs before he does of course

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..