Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Margaret Pilkington
  • 1 Post By cashman
  • 1 Post By cashman

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 31-08-2018, 09:56   #1
Beacon of light

The resignation of Frank Field.

The resignation of Frank Field deserves to be commented on.
This man has been(to my knowledge) a member of Parliament since some time in the sixties.
I am often scathing and sceptical about the motives of politicians, but this man is a prince among MP's.
He has worked tirelessly not just for his constituents, but for the good of the party and also the country.
He is one of a dying breed....a politician you could stake your life on, one who you could trust to tell it like it is.

So his resignation from the Labour Party must be something that creates some discomfort...and I ask myself if this is the start of the break up of this dysfunctional party.

Frank Field says he will continue to serve his constituents as an Independent Labour member....might this encourage other disaffected Labour MP's to join him?
Should the likes of Jeremy Corbyn be worried?
I await with interest your views.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 31-08-2018, 10:14   #2
God Member

Re: The resignation of Frank Field.

[QUOTE=Margaret Pilkington;1216855]
Should the likes of Jeremy Corbyn be worried?

with diane abbott about what has jeremy to fear.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2018, 16:17   #3

Not quite sure what FF has actually done? My morning paper says he has resigned the Labour whip, will remain a member of the Labour Party, & continue to serve his Birkenhead constituents as an Independant Labour MP, and, 'providence willing', stand at the next election.
However, if the rumoured number of others follow his lead, it will hopefully spell the end for Corbyn!
KiTChener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2018, 16:39   #4
Beacon of light

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fran...ish_politician)

There you go Gerard.
He was a down to earth man who did much to improve the lives of the poorer members of society.
For me, he is a man of integrity and that is not something that can be said of many politicians.
During the recent school holidays he spent some of his spare time ensuring that children who were eligible for school dinners were fed during the holiday break.

As I said, I am very sceptical of the motives of many of the current politicians.
If they told me it was daylight I would need to go outside and check.
Frank Field was a different breed, and I like him....there should be more MP's like him.
KiTChener likes this.
Old 31-08-2018, 16:46   #5
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

I have always liked Field, Makes me puke listening to Corbyns toe rags saying he was looking for an excuse to leave. still i expect nowt else from them scumbags, who have dragged the Labour Party to where it is now.
KiTChener likes this.
Old 31-08-2018, 20:44   #6

[QUOTE=Margaret Pilkington;
Frank Field was a different breed....there should be more MP's like him.[/QUOTE]

Yes, to me, he is the kind of MP who transcends the different parties.... we could do with more like him in Parliament, one who speaks his mind, rather than 'toeing the Party line'.
Will we ever get to the stage where we vote for the person, rather than the party, & could a credible government be formed on such a basis??
Old 31-08-2018, 21:00   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiTChener View Post
Yes, to me, he is the kind of MP who transcends the different parties.... we could do with more like him in Parliament, one who speaks his mind, rather than 'toeing the Party line'.
Will we ever get to the stage where we vote for the person, rather than the party, & could a credible government be formed on such a basis??
The more I think about my last sentence, the more I think 'why not?'.
Maybe we would then have the best people for the job, regardless of party politics?
I don't normally get involved in political discussions, so maybe I am being a little naive, I leave it up to my fellow Accywebbers to advise me either way!!!
Old 01-09-2018, 06:04   #8
Beacon of light

Politicians should never be celebrities....like some of them think they are.
They are the jobbing administrators of the country....nothing more, nothing less.
They are very well paid for the job they do....some of them (personally) I would not pay with dolly mixtures.

Our current political system is broken and really means that it is very difficult to achieve a strong majority at an election.
You need a strong majority if you are in power, otherwise you need to go cap in hand to those MP's who travel under a different flag of allegiance.

The flag of allegiance....now there's the rub.
Some folk would vote for a donkey if it was under the right flag of allegiance.
There are many folk who vote for the same party irrespective of what the manifesto holds, they vote with their brains in a bucket at home....they give no thought to the consequences of that X they put in a box.
Old 01-09-2018, 06:53   #9
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

I think probably the majority vote for whoever, no matter what, for many years i was guilty as charged of that meself. so it could be said, i finally woke up. Now i cannot honestly see "WHO" is worth voting for,not one of the main parties thats certain.
monkey hanger likes this.
Old 01-09-2018, 17:45   #10
Beacon of light

I haven't ever voted for the same party.
I have always considered what the party had to offer which would improve my life or the life of my family or community.

Cashy, there have been times when I have really struggled to choose a person to vote for....and on those occasions I have usually invalidated my vote by writing something on the ballot paper.
I always attend the polling station....I am not too lazy to go and present myself...but I cannot in conscience vote for someone I do not have faith in.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..