Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-08-2008, 21:02   #16
God Member

Re: The Right To Bear Arms

Oh, and by the way, if I were attacked by an armed intruder in my own home, and if I had a loaded gun, I would not hesitate to shoot. However, I do not like the idea of people other than the coppers walking the streets of my city carrying concealed hand guns.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 27-08-2008, 21:03   #17
I am Banned

There are no grizzly bears in the UK.

ANSWER = NO
Terror_watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2008, 21:17   #18
Passed away 25-11-09

There's a difference between a regular gun and an air gun - or is there? An air gun can kill, just like any other gun.

When my son was a teenager we bought him an air gun because he had discovered, on fair ground shooting stalls (from which he was, subsequently, banned for being too good and winning too often), that he was a natural marksman. There is a gun club a couple of miles from where we live and we allowed him to join. He used to go on a Sunday morning and, for the rest of the week, that air gun was locked away. He knew how to behave responsibly with the gun and he knew it could be lethal - he knew it because his dad and I hammered the message home to him (OK, nagged) constantly.

This tragedy in Brum was avoidable. I know the father was distracted by his phone ringing but you don't leave any gun unattended, especially when there are children about. Any parent always has to be alert to any potential danger and a parent with a gun should be 100 times more cautious.
Old 27-08-2008, 21:25   #19
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Ender View Post
There's a difference between a regular gun and an air gun - or is there? An air gun can kill, just like any other gun.

When my son was a teenager we bought him an air gun because he had discovered, on fair ground shooting stalls (from which he was, subsequently, banned for being too good and winning too often), that he was a natural marksman. There is a gun club a couple of miles from where we live and we allowed him to join. He used to go on a Sunday morning and, for the rest of the week, that air gun was locked away. He knew how to behave responsibly with the gun and he knew it could be lethal - he knew it because his dad and I hammered the message home to him (OK, nagged) constantly.

This tragedy in Brum was avoidable. I know the father was distracted by his phone ringing but you don't leave any gun unattended, especially when there are children about. Any parent always has to be alert to any potential danger and a parent with a gun should be 100 times more cautious.
Exactly .... there are no "accidents" with guns ... just stupidity and carelessness ... many schools in rural areas offer courses in gun safety and responsible gun ownership ... these kids grow up around guns ... most of them will become gun owners ... teaching them gun safety makes sense.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2008, 21:31   #20
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Exactly .... there are no "accidents" with guns ... just stupidity and carelessness ... many schools in rural areas offer courses in gun safety and responsible gun ownership ... these kids grow up around guns ... most of them will become gun owners ... teaching them gun safety makes sense.
In the UK....no guns...period.....I'm happy with that.

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2008, 21:35   #21
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
The right of people not to be shot far outways the right to own a gun.. I mean a real gun not an air rifle... the scum that shot those kids in Dublane had a licence to own guns..as did the nutcase that shot all those people in Hungerford, why should anyone apart from the Police, have the right to own something that has only one use..to kill

I'm with Mancie on this one.

No-one needs to own a gun and I don't think owning a gun should be legal.

What kind of hobby is shooting?
Old 27-08-2008, 21:39   #22
Passed away 25-11-09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post

Ask the Royal Family.
Old 27-08-2008, 21:41   #23
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:

the kind that wins ya medals in the olympics.
Old 27-08-2008, 21:58   #24
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
the kind that wins ya medals in the olympics.
An olympic medal versus people staying alive....it's keeping people alive for me.
Old 27-08-2008, 21:59   #25
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
An olympic medal versus people staying alive....it's keeping people alive for me.
you really think that would make a differance lilly?
Old 27-08-2008, 22:01   #26
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
The right of people not to be shot far outways the right to own a gun.. I mean a real gun not an air rifle... the scum that shot those kids in Dublane had a licence to own guns..as did the nutcase that shot all those people in Hungerford, why should anyone apart from the Police, have the right to own something that has only one use..to kill
The nut that shot the kids in Dumblane, although he had aa firearms license was not a member of any gun club, none of them would accept him as a member. When his permit came up for renewal the police were informed of this, and he couldn't show membership of a club, which is the only reason for his possession, yet his cerificate was renewedby the police.

As for Michal Ryan in Hungerford, he was only a probationary member of his local club, and the law at that time, prevented probationary members being granted a certificate, yet the police granted him one, even though he had once been caught in possesion of an illegal firearm.

I was a member of several rifle and pistol clubs for over 40 years, and being the secretary of two of them, you had to be conversant with the fire arms act.
One section, which covered any one who had commited a crime, with a fire arm, and was convicted, could never hold a legal firearm again for LIFE, the 7 year rule doesn't apply to the firearms act.

Why doesn't that apply to those who commit crimes with CARS, theres nothing like the threat of a life ban to keep you on your toes.

More people are killed by cars every day than by fireaarms, yet mention the word gun and every one gets paranoid, you've been brain washed by the media.

Retlaw
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2008, 22:06   #27
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Ender View Post
Ask the Royal Family.
And lots of other land owners who keep our country and the land they look after and preserve for future generations.
Do you contribute?
I'm not trying to cause an arguement in this, but why ask the Royal Family?
They pay more tax than you ever will and still look after the land they own.

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2008, 22:09   #28
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
The nut that shot the kids in Dumblane, although he had aa firearms license was not a member of any gun club, none of them would accept him as a member. When his permit came up for renewal the police were informed of this, and he couldn't show membership of a club, which is the only reason for his possession, yet his cerificate was renewedby the police.

As for Michal Ryan in Hungerford, he was only a probationary member of his local club, and the law at that time, prevented probationary members being granted a certificate, yet the police granted him one, even though he had once been caught in possesion of an illegal firearm.

I was a member of several rifle and pistol clubs for over 40 years, and being the secretary of two of them, you had to be conversant with the fire arms act.
One section, which covered any one who had commited a crime, with a fire arm, and was convicted, could never hold a legal firearm again for LIFE, the 7 year rule doesn't apply to the firearms act.

Why doesn't that apply to those who commit crimes with CARS, theres nothing like the threat of a life ban to keep you on your toes.

More people are killed by cars every day than by fireaarms, yet mention the word gun and every one gets paranoid, you've been brain washed by the media.

Retlaw
I just don't think anyone needs to own a gun, that's all.

My opinion was re-inforced ( I wasn't brainwashed ) when I read a book called Never Forget, written by Mick North, father of Sophie North who was one of the children murdered in Dunblane.

The gun ownership issue is debated at some length and I agree with the author in that guns are designed to kill and people should not be allowed to own them as they cannot be sufficiently controlled.
Old 27-08-2008, 22:12   #29
I am Banned

Quote:

A very demanding and exacting one if you take it seriously, self control is necessary to achieve perfection, and reach a high standard of marksmanship, if they ever showed the shoot off, for the Queens Prize at Bisley on television, you would see what the sport was all about, it is not a hobby, just like other games and sports are not a hobby.

Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2008, 22:12   #30
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
No one needs to own a gun but many of us do and enjoy shooting at nothing but paper targets. What is wrong with that? If I wanted to kill you I could do it a 1001 ways without needing a gun. Do you want to ban everything that could be lethal?

The father is question is an idiot. As stated you do not leave a loaded gun unattended. Looking at the pictures I saw his garden was not suitable for shooting an air rifle in anyway.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..