Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree137Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2018, 15:56   #76
Beacon of light

Re: The Scum are at it again,

Yes...I like that idea.
Mine would be transport them to some barren inhsopitable island in the outer hebrides.
Give them food for oh...say, a week....if they want shelter they have to build it...any other food they have to catch it, pick it or grow it.
There would be no drugs, no phones, no TV's...nothing to distract them from the long days in inhospitable terrain.
They would gain skills in self sufficiency, building, forming a community that can work together for the common good.
They would need no warders....the costs would be low and they would(I believe) never want to go back again.
And the biggest benefit would be, that once they came back into the community they might...just might, value the common goals that the rest of us work towards.
Earning an honest crust by the work of our own hands, rather than stealing their bread.

The really would be rehabilitation!
Sara, hilleluk, taddy and 1 others like this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 06-03-2018, 14:26   #77

The Americans had a place just like you describe Margaret, its called Alcatraz and it worked.
Old 07-03-2018, 13:22   #78
Senior Member+

[QUOTE=Margaret Pilkington;1209657]Yes...I like that idea.
Mine would be transport them to some barren inhsopitable island in the outer hebrides.

I have suggested a few times that St Kilda would be ideal. The only inhabitants there during my time on Benbecula was an army detachment manning a radar station to make sure no fishing boats went into the area during live missile firing - not sure if it is still there. Give them some timber and nails and let them build their own, plenty of water 0 it rains most of the time, food would be a problem although there are plenty of seabirds that used to be a staple diet up there - and a few sheep. I would discount Rockall as that would be a cruel and unjust punishment
Old 07-03-2018, 13:51   #79
Beacon of light

So Rockall it is then Barrie
DaveinGermany likes this.
Old 08-03-2018, 09:40   #80
God Member

this prison debate is something i change my mind on every day. one day i think its too soft the next day you hear of all the suicides that happen there and no real thoughts on re hab of offenders. at the end of the day i for one would hate the idea of being banged up for any length of time no matter what the food and other perks are like.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 10:26   #81

[QUOTE=Barrie Yates;1209758]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Yes...I like that idea.

I have suggested a few times that St Kilda would be ideal. The only inhabitants there during my time on Benbecula was an army detachment manning a radar station to make sure no fishing boats went into the area during live missile firing - not sure if it is still there. Give them some timber and nails and let them build their own, plenty of water 0 it rains most of the time, food would be a problem although there are plenty of seabirds that used to be a staple diet up there - and a few sheep. I would discount Rockall as that would be a cruel and unjust punishment
My brother served with the R.E.M.E. on Benbecular in the 1950's, they were (I think), testing the "Corporal" guided missile system and I have been told that the base is still there but just, as you say, a Radar tracking station.
Your's Taddy.
taddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 13:47   #82

I sailed passed Rockall and circled St Kilda a couple of years ago. Their is a horseshoe bay/inlet where you can anchor. There is still some comms towers and a radome plus accommodation buildings in the anchorage but I believe the MoD still own it although I think all their stuff is remote controlled and the site has been given over to conservation groups. On a good day best described as "bleak". Ideal spot where as Rockall is literally a rock sticking out of the sea which I would describe as "very bleak" and such would be even better apart from the fact its too small.
Old 08-03-2018, 14:19   #83
Beacon of light

It would not need to be huge if our plan works
hilleluk likes this.
Old 08-03-2018, 14:23   #84
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey hanger View Post
this prison debate is something i change my mind on every day. one day i think its too soft the next day you hear of all the suicides that happen there and no real thoughts on re hab of offenders. at the end of the day i for one would hate the idea of being banged up for any length of time no matter what the food and other perks are like.
So for you, the removal of you from your family and surroundings proves to be a deterrent, but for many it does not.
As for re-hab, you can go into prison and get your further education at no cost.
Re-hab also needs lots of staff and commitment from not only the prison authorities, but the prisoners.
You cannot rehabilitate someone who does not wish to change their ways.
Why work for the things you need if you can steal them and get free bed and board.
Old 09-03-2018, 09:44   #85
God Member

[QUOTE=Margaret Pilkington;
Why work for the things you need if you can steal them and get free bed and board.[/QUOTE]

might have been the case a few years ago when people went out on the rob to give em a lifestyle they think they should be accustimed to but a greater number now have been banged up due to stealing due to drug addiction. cannot afford to buy em so need to rob for their fix. not the prison system fault or maybe not theirs either. if a stronger stance was made years ago about the drug question and problems then maybe something would be different. too much of a mamby pamby approach statring in the so called swinging sixties where there should have been a harder hitting approach to it all.
Old 09-03-2018, 10:26   #86
Full Member+

mamby pamby approach starting in the 60s.
Accy Observer fri march 9
Heroin dealer gets 5years 9months jail
same man has been sentenced 3 times before for supplying class A drugs.
WoW that's what I call being tough.
cashman and monkey hanger like this.
ferret man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 12:35   #87
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey hanger View Post
might have been the case a few years ago when people went out on the rob to give em a lifestyle they think they should be accustimed to but a greater number now have been banged up due to stealing due to drug addiction. cannot afford to buy em so need to rob for their fix. not the prison system fault or maybe not theirs either. if a stronger stance was made years ago about the drug question and problems then maybe something would be different. too much of a mamby pamby approach statring in the so called swinging sixties where there should have been a harder hitting approach to it all.
We cannot change what happened in the past...and looking that way is entirely the wrong direction...it is not the direction of current travel.
The namby pamby liberal approach is certainly a factor, and it still continues.

So, these days they steal to fund a filthy habit, that makes it less painful and disturbing for those who are the victims...no, of course it doesn't and I feel pretty sure you did not mean it to sound apologetic for these 'unfortunate addicts'....or that you feel sorry for them
I do not feel sorry for them. They ruin lives of innocent people, for this they should be punished first...Rehabilitation is a much harder thing to achieve.
The offender has to WANT to change their ways...if they do not WANT to change then you are just wasting time and effort on them.

Drug use is a lifestyle choice. Something that these folks have chosen to get involved in.
Going to prison does not solve this because....well, would you believe it?
These criminals(because that is what they are) can get drugs in prison almost as easily as out on the street.

If these folk were sent somewhere remote, then they would have to do cold turkey...
But, truthfully, you are NEVER going to crack the problem of drugs on the streets while ever there are those who think drugs should be decriminalised.

Drugs are controlled for a reason....they are detrimental to physical and mental well being.
But if laws are not policed then we might just as well not have them

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 09-03-2018 at 12:38.
Old 09-03-2018, 17:32   #88

Australia used to be a good place to get rid of some.
Now people are flocking there for a few years (before coming back).

RainbowSix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 18:10   #89
Beacon of light

Australia is far too discerning now to take the dregs of our society.
It really needs to be somewhere far less hospitable.
Old 10-03-2018, 09:22   #90
God Member

[QUOTE=Margaret Pilkington;1209867]We cannot change what happened in the past...and looking that way is entirely the wrong direction...it is not the direction of current travel.
The namby pamby liberal approach is certainly a factor, and it still continues.

i do know that looking backwards is not the answer but you must agree that is where it all started. was not rife apart from hippy type communes and pop events. if plod had been as pro active with drug offences they would not have the problems they have now. you will i imagine the only drugs you came across in your youth were woodbines. since the 60,s we have heard the liberal types attemting to show how drugs are less of a problem than tabs were to us.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..