Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-09-2008, 18:12   #16
God Member

Re: The Tooth, The Whole Tooth And Nothing But The Tooth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanleymad View Post
For another as a parent whose was thrown off their dentist books because the greedy so & so's went private & shafted its nhs patients without due care or consideration unless they could pay privately then the child could get nhs treatment within that dentist if you was all nhs then it was sod off elsewhere!! Took 6 years to get an nhs dentist local & had to involve our MP in order to access one by which time was badly needed.
More or less same situation here. Obviously everything is rosy and bright in jambutty's land though, as he thinks it's all so simple to call up NHS and get a place at a dentist's.

Last edited by Mick; 18-09-2008 at 06:14.
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 17-09-2008, 18:35   #17
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: The Tooth, The Whole Tooth And Nothing But The Tooth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanleymad View Post
Oh dear butty man you have not a clue - for one you are comparing 2 different authorities am i right that blackburn with darwen run their own affairs whereas accy is within the LCC ran authority area.

For another as a parent whose was thrown off their dentist books because the greedy so & so's went private & shafted its nhs patients without due care or consideration unless they could pay privately then the child could get nhs treatment within that dentist if you was all nhs then it was sod off elsewhere!! Took 6 years to get an nhs dentist local & had to involve our MP in order to access one by which time was badly needed.
I can only go off my experience here in Darwen and of course I have no young children.

But NHS Direct doesn’t just cover Blackburn and Darwen.
Old 17-09-2008, 18:57   #18
God Member

For anybody who needs an NHS Dentist, Central Dental Surgery which is just next to Morrisons in Blackburn are taking patients on. Their phone number is 691311, surely that is eay enough for most folk to get to
Old 17-09-2008, 19:02   #19

Angry Re: The Tooth, The Whole Tooth And Nothing But The Tooth.

I wish I could get a NHS dentist. I was also kicked out of the dental practice I was with because he went private 5 years ago. Because I have an allergic reaction to certain anaesthetics it would have cost nearly four times more for me to have a dental insurance plan than a person without allergies and I sure can't afford that. NHS Direct haven't found a dentist for me as yet and I'm beginning to wonder if it is because of my allergy problem. Last time I actually got emergency treatment I ended up having a reaction to a different anaesthetic and needed emergency treatment. That dentist will not now take me on as a patient. Where does that leave me? Am I blacklisted or something now. Makes me wonder.

Does anyone know what happens to the medical information when you are kicked off a dental practice.

Last edited by mothernature; 17-09-2008 at 19:05.
mothernature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2008, 09:53   #20
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by mothernature View Post
I wish I could get a NHS dentist. I was also kicked out of the dental practice I was with because he went private 5 years ago. Because I have an allergic reaction to certain anaesthetics it would have cost nearly four times more for me to have a dental insurance plan than a person without allergies and I sure can't afford that. NHS Direct haven't found a dentist for me as yet and I'm beginning to wonder if it is because of my allergy problem. Last time I actually got emergency treatment I ended up having a reaction to a different anaesthetic and needed emergency treatment. That dentist will not now take me on as a patient. Where does that leave me? Am I blacklisted or something now. Makes me wonder.

Does anyone know what happens to the medical information when you are kicked off a dental practice.
They down load it onto a disc, then its sent of to the government who then lose it
Old 18-09-2008, 10:07   #21
God Member

Some dental procedures damage health.
Mercury amalgam fillings cause a slow gradual build up of that toxic metal in your body and cause health problems in later life.
Fluoride in water and toothpaste is also toxic.
The way to lessen all such problems is to cut down on sugar intake.
Even that will not be enough to guarantee that your teeth will last as long as you do.
So whether you have fillings or suffer bad teeth - you lose them eventually.
As you age, gums shrink (the expression 'long in the tooth'), so even good teeth wobble and need replacing with dentures in order to continue eating normally.
So by all means try to preserve them as long as you can, but be wary of hazardous dental procedures, and weigh up what is best for you, because some people have inherited genetically wonderful teeth - lucky 'persons'

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2008, 10:57   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
They down load it onto a disc, then its sent of to the government who then lose it
mothernature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2008, 12:11   #23
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: The Tooth, The Whole Tooth And Nothing But The Tooth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
Some dental procedures damage health.
Mercury amalgam fillings cause a slow gradual build up of that toxic metal in your body and cause health problems in later life.
Fluoride in water and toothpaste is also toxic.
The way to lessen all such problems is to cut down on sugar intake.
Even that will not be enough to guarantee that your teeth will last as long as you do.
So whether you have fillings or suffer bad teeth - you lose them eventually.
As you age, gums shrink (the expression 'long in the tooth'), so even good teeth wobble and need replacing with dentures in order to continue eating normally.
So by all means try to preserve them as long as you can, but be wary of hazardous dental procedures, and weigh up what is best for you, because some people have inherited genetically wonderful teeth - lucky 'persons'
Most, if not all, medicines are toxic if taken to excess.

Mercury amalgam fillings were used because it was the best material at that time but the amount of mercury in a filling is infinitesimally small. You got more chance of being poisoned with lead water pipes and even then it was only a few susceptible people and not the whole nation, otherwise none of us would be here now.

Dentists developed a new medium for filling teeth and then started a campaign to try and frighten people into getting their mercury fillings drilled out and replaced with the new material. More work for dentists who were complaining about their level of earnings, so they could enhance their income.

Fluoride in the water is a huge no, no but fluoridated toothpaste is a good thing as science has proven that fluoride is good for the teeth for most people. But then in my youth fluoride in toothpaste didn’t exist and at 71 I still have most of my teeth, some of which are mercury amalgam filled.

The key to healthy teeth is regular brushing from the earliest day possible and regular check ups to nip problems in the bud and to establish a good habit. Regular brushing and regular check ups is even more important once the second teeth make an appearance but hopefully by then the habit has been well ingrained so it will continue through life.

It’s not the sugar intake that is the problem but the sugar that remains on the teeth for a long while, like overnight. Fortunately the natural saliva will neutralise this if given the chance.

I wonder how many people get up in the morning, have a wash and clean their teeth then eat some breakfast and go off to work or school? Thus leaving the sugary residue in the mouth.

We were told that eating an apple after meals was good for the teeth. There is just one problem with that in that apples contain sugar, as does other fruits.

The problem with all these health scare issues is that the worst case scenario as applicable to the minority is presented and given the implication that it applies to all and sundry.

We are all uniquely different.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..