Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree679Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2012, 15:07   #2071

Re: The Tories

I wonder if they were using the Lewis shopworkers as a template, who are all shareholders and thus have a personal stake in the company's fortunes.

During the strike ridden days of the 1970s the company I worked for part time offered us workers the opportunity to buy shares in the company for £1 per share presumably with the idea that we would think twice before joining the miners if we had a personal interest in the company's fortunes. I didn't take up the offer and I can't recall anyone else who did either. At the same time, my brothers who worked for a profitable quaker engineering company which had been established about 150 years and where it was rare for workers to down tools gave their employees free shares, the total of shares depended on the number of years they'd been employed. The majority of workers cashed their shares in immediately. This gave a toehold for a rival to buy the shares and eventually buy out the firm. The company name vanished from the directories in the early 1980s when the buyer stripped the assets and sold the defunct modern factory and recreation fields the workers once used.
Lucysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 09-10-2012, 15:40   #2072
JFT96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucysgirl View Post
I wonder if they were using the Lewis shopworkers as a template, who are all shareholders and thus have a personal stake in the company's fortunes.

During the strike ridden days of the 1970s the company I worked for part time offered us workers the opportunity to buy shares in the company for £1 per share presumably with the idea that we would think twice before joining the miners if we had a personal interest in the company's fortunes. I didn't take up the offer and I can't recall anyone else who did either. At the same time, my brothers who worked for a profitable quaker engineering company which had been established about 150 years and where it was rare for workers to down tools gave their employees free shares, the total of shares depended on the number of years they'd been employed. The majority of workers cashed their shares in immediately. This gave a toehold for a rival to buy the shares and eventually buy out the firm. The company name vanished from the directories in the early 1980s when the buyer stripped the assets and sold the defunct modern factory and recreation fields the workers once used.
Nothing like a bit of Solidarity eh comrades

A similar thing happens at Thomsonfly a few years ago, things are still going well there.

Steve Hogarth, lead singer Marillion
Boeing Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 23:32   #2073
I am Banned

Never trust a Politician until they have been dead at least a week
Chris SUI JURIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 20:51   #2074
God Member

Atos to Sub-Contract PIP Contract Back to NHS! | the void this is why we are skint you couldnt make it up
Old 14-10-2012, 15:47   #2075
God Member

this is a disgrace,yes public spending down but private spending goes through the roof what a waste of money 28,6189 Mail on Sunday readers write to Government to stop A&E closures... and Ministers still do nothing | Mail Online
Old 14-10-2012, 15:53   #2076
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmonstanley View Post
this is a disgrace,yes public spending down but private spending goes through the roof what a waste of money 28,6189 Mail on Sunday readers write to Government to stop A&E closures... and Ministers still do nothing | Mail Online
You traitor- reading Mail online!
That's your name added to the list, come the Revolution!
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2012, 16:07   #2077
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
You traitor- reading Mail online!
That's your name added to the list, come the Revolution!
It's a dirty job, but someone's got to do it while Jaysay's away!
Old 14-10-2012, 16:48   #2078
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
It's a dirty job, but someone's got to do it while Jaysay's away!
Yes but wait until Jaysay finds out it was cmon!
Old 14-10-2012, 16:49   #2079
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Oh i'll tell him, he needs a laugh.
Old 14-10-2012, 18:48   #2080
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Aw c'mon, what's wrong with cmon?

Opposite side of the fence to Jay, but just as capable of copying and pasting and just as likely to do it wrong.

Maybe at last the two sides of this political coin can join together and make an intelligent member?

Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2012, 19:01   #2081
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by less View Post

maybe at last the two sides of this political coin can join together and make an intelligent member?

-1+-1=-2.
Old 14-10-2012, 20:31   #2082
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post

Maybe at last the two sides of this political coin can join together and make an intelligent member?

Now i know yeh been drinking.
Old 25-10-2012, 09:19   #2083
Senior Member+

Iain Duncan Smith says that the Benefits system encourages problem famililes.

Benefits encourage problem families, says Iain Duncan Smith - Telegraph

Chancellor George Osbourne plans to cut another 10 Billion from the benefits budget.

It's OK when you inherited a fortune.
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2012, 14:09   #2084
I am Banned

Philip Davies' suggestion that employers should be allowed to pay less than the minimum wage to the disabled just goes to show the kind of people that become Tory MPs . He clearly didn't think his idea through or consult with any mental health charities before proposing it in Parliament. The motivation behind the idea is quite obviously contempt for disabled people, (who he considers to be "clearly" inferior, "by definition" ).Not only that, but his pathetic defence that criticism of his proposal is just "left-wing hysteria" demonstrates the Tory paranoia, that all criticism of their lunacy must be some kind of left-wing conspiracy
Chris SUI JURIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2012, 18:15   #2085
Senior Member+

Iain Duncan Smith who is cutting housing benefits lives in a mansion FREE!

Tory welfare secretary Iain Duncan Smith - the man slashing housing benefit for hard-up families - is living in a £2million Tudor country pile for FREE.

Unlike worried Britons facing homelessness because of his savage cuts, the former Tory leader, 56, has the run of a palatial home which doesn't cost him a single penny in rent or mortgage.

The Grade II listed building, complete with swimming pool, tennis court and five acres of gardens, is the ancestral home of his wife Betsy's multimillionaire aristocratic family.

Not only does the house come free, he doesn't have to worry about his four children paying inheritance tax on it because he and his wife are not technically the owners of the 16th Century home, in Swanbourne, Buckinghamshire.

He was given use of the mansion by his father-in-law, Baron Cottesloe. It was traditionally the focal point of life in the village where the Cottesloes own 1,300 acres of prime farmland as well as the pub, post office, a private school and many of the houses.

Until 2001 the mansion was home to Mrs Duncan Smith's father, Commander John Tapling Fremantle, 87, the fifth Baron Cottesloe.

The Baron and his wife then moved to another of their homes in the village and the Duncan Smiths moved in with their children Edward, Alicia, Harry and Rosanna.

The Baron retained ownership of the house until 2005, when it was signed over to be owned jointly by Mrs Duncan Smith's brother Thomas, her cousin Richard Brooks and Paul Knocker, a millionaire friend of the Baron.

Mrs Duncan Smith's brother is listed on the electoral roll as living at the house, but is understood to spend most of his time at a property 50 miles away in Hampstead, north London.

Mr Brooks lives in a stately home in Wistow, Leicestershire, and Conservative activist Mr Knocker, 74, lives in a £650,000 country home near Salisbury, Wilts.

According to land registry records, the three men "paid" £1million for the Duncan Smiths' house in 2005, but it is unclear how the money changed hands.

Mrs Duncan Smith is the Baron's eldest child and could stand to inherit the lion's share of the family wealth.

She is already a major shareholder in the family property firm Thomas Tapling & Co, which has investment assets worth £1.1million and owns farms, shops and businesses across England worth £4.5million.

A local said of Mr Duncan Smith, son of an Army officer: "He married himself into one of the most distinguished and wealthy aristocratic families in the UK."

Mr Duncan Smith met Betsy when she was working in Harrods after leaving her expensive boarding school.

They lived in a townhouse in Fulham, south-west London, but sold it for £721,000 in 2002 after moving into the huge ancestral house in Swanbourne.

Mr Duncan Smith commutes between Westminster, Swanbourne and his constituency of Chingford
and Woodford Green on the wealthier fringes of east London, where he rents a flat in a converted house.
Housing cuts IDS gets his mansion free - Mirror Online
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..