Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree679Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-12-2013, 11:00   #3616
Resting in Peace

Re: The Tories

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmonstanley View Post
even the torygraph hates this government and wants to tell the truth.Ministers accused of energy bill cut 'con' as £5-per-household saving will be paid back with interest - Telegraph ive just watched boris on the parliament channel on mayor question time . he didnt answer one question he dilly dallied mumbling a load of crap.
I've heard it all now, somebody sitting around all day watching the Parliamentary channel, what a sad pathetic little man you really are get a life and for christs, sake stop boring the tits of me
Old 26-12-2013, 12:37   #3617
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
As far as the fire service response Retlaw I'd be inclined to note your opinion being as you're an old timer. But since your active days there's been many & varied technological & efficiency changes, added to that as you state they may come from various stations & according to the report that was the case.
I think if I was working for them and facing large cuts to manpower I would be turning it into a major incident with every man and his dog called out trying to prove that number of people were required.

All those people may have been needed but the response has certainly given people an excuse to say they need all the people they have
Old 26-12-2013, 13:17   #3618

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I think if I was working for them and facing large cuts to manpower I would be turning it into a major incident with every man and his dog called out trying to prove that number of people were required.

All those people may have been needed but the response has certainly given people an excuse to say they need all the people they have
Oh yeah...can't you just hear the operator.....

Ring..Ring..

'which emergency do you require'

'erm.. all of them i guess, a roof has collapsed in a theatre with over 700 people inside'

'oh and how many are still inside'

'erm.. dunno, there's a bit of screaming and scrambling and some guy just went past me covered in blood holding his unconscious son in his arms'

'well could you go back inside and count how many are trapped, see if they need digging out, while you are there could you check if there is any damage to the myriad of electrical systems within the theatre that may cause a fire. Could you also count the number of people injured and needing medical attention? When you've done all that call me back and I'll be able to send the correct number of fire engines and ambulances.'
Less and cmonstanley like this.
Old 26-12-2013, 13:50   #3619
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
And therein lies the problem, all these people require paying, regardless of participation, on duty, laid off sick etc, etc. Added to this there's all the support staff who sit in an office but don't provide physical hands on action, eating up resources that could be better employed.

The Germans have a regular fire service but for a Country about three times the size of UK their "Paid" manpower isn't anywhere near comparable to UK. The practicality behind this is due to the Germans maintaining, training & investing in an exceptionally good volunteer force of fire fighters functioning on the same principal as the UKs RNLI. "Freiwilligen Feuerwher" can be found in virtually ever town & village & are supported, sponsored & integrated into the major framework of the German fire service with regular training & advancement of their volunteers.
Old 26-12-2013, 15:24   #3620
God Member

Quote:
And therein lies the problem, all these people require paying, regardless of participation, on duty, laid off sick etc, etc. Added to this there's all the support staff who sit in an office but don't provide physical hands on action, eating up resources that could be better employed.

The Germans have a regular fire service but for a Country about three times the size of UK their "Paid" manpower isn't anywhere near comparable to UK. The practicality behind this is due to the Germans maintaining, training & investing in an exceptionally good volunteer force of fire fighters functioning on the same principal as the UKs RNLI. "Freiwilligen Feuerwher" can be found in virtually ever town & village & are supported, sponsored & integrated into the major framework of the German fire service with regular training & advancement of their volunteers.
Interesting ... same over here too. This unit fighting the big fire in my neighbourhood was manned by volunteers from Kingston's west end:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 008.jpg (391.3 KB, 4 views)
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2013, 15:27   #3621
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
boring the tits of me

Now now Jaysay ... that should be "man boobs" ...
Old 26-12-2013, 15:53   #3622
I am Banned

Quote:

There is a different mind set amongst the English about volunteering.
Volunteers have bearly always been shat on or their services abused.
Its not even easy to keep a retained fire service, and they get paid a retaining fee, and pay for drill nights and for turnouts.

Last edited by Retlaw; 26-12-2013 at 15:54. Reason: spell
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2013, 22:23   #3623
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
There is a different mind set amongst the English about volunteering.
Volunteers have bearly always been shat on or their services abused.
Its not even easy to keep a retained fire service, and they get paid a retaining fee, and pay for drill nights and for turnouts.
Too many people here expect someone else to do it all for them while they sit in front of the TV or in the pub.

They days of scrubbing your doorstep and sweeping the footpath outside your house are gone. We have become a lazy society.
Old 26-12-2013, 23:24   #3624
Beacon of light

Some of society is lazy.....some isn't.
It may be a generational thing. Those of us who were born in the 'baby boomer' years are more likely to volunteer services and time.....but who wants an arthritic sixty something with a dicky ticker as a firefighter?
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2013, 23:26   #3625
Beacon of light

There is also an element of 'I pay part of my council tax to fund these services' in the equation too.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2013, 23:34   #3626

Quote:
Too many people here expect someone else to do it all for them while they sit in front of the TV or in the pub.

They days of scrubbing your doorstep and sweeping the footpath outside your house are gone. We have become a lazy society.
I'm totally confused by that comment

Are you saying its lazy NOT to volunteer to take someones livelihood away or are you saying its lazy to expect someone to do something they are paid to do?

We all know how you give your free time, doing something that you are passionate about voluntarily, do you know many people that are passionate about volunteering to man the tills at Tesco or cleaning the sewers. How about people volunteering to do the job that feeds your family?

In the case of emergency services, what I want are trained professionals to be paid accordingly from a central fund raised by fair taxation to save my life if needed, and I'd rather have too many than too few, and if that means cutting aid to spacefaring nations so be it.

And what you seem to have missed here is that despite the 'alleged' outrageous number of emergency services that turned up, (for what was originally thought to be a major disaster), they still had to commandeer 3 London buses to transport the injured to hospital.
Old 27-12-2013, 00:23   #3627

Sorry to double post but I feel very strongly about our emergency services...

On this particular night, the emergency services got it perfect. They had enough firemen to ensure that everyone got out and the building was secured from further structural damage and fire, the ambulances ensured that the critical and severe were treated without loss of life, the police ensured that the area was secured.

A potential catastrophe was averted because of skilled, trained, dedicated people.

What absolute fools they were for doing their job..the gutter press and associated bufoons were so quick to jump on the fact that so many resources attended..it didn't matter that nobody had died... that they had done their job so damn well...that they had all the bases covered...

Nobody reports good news so lets find the negatives...so the tory press barons once again use 'numbers'....and the gullible amongst us fall hook, line and sinker yet again!
Less likes this.
Old 27-12-2013, 01:23   #3628
God Member

the thing is the german companies work in cohesion with their employees. british employers wouldnt let their workers volunteer. you would be classed as a liability. thats the difference with British and German society.
Old 27-12-2013, 06:07   #3629
God Member

Quote:

Typical right-wing claptrap ... the implied argument, if you can call it that, is so spurious and illogical that it is hardly worth addressing. Blame the poor for their poverty; blame the unemployed for the lack of decent, well-paid work.

According to tories there is a "level playing field" out there, and anyone with enough gumption can succeed What a crock of horse manure. Let the privileged few export good jobs to places where labor is cheap and unprotected. Let them hide their profits in tax shelters. And then blame the plebs for not being able to make a go of it flipping burgers. Tories load the dice in favour of the already rich. They create a diillusioned underclass, and then blame them for continually crapping out. If you chant "the poor and unemployed are lazy" long enough, even many of the poor and umemployed come to believe it.
Less likes this.
Old 27-12-2013, 06:16   #3630
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmonstanley View Post
the thing is the german companies work in cohesion with their employees. british employers wouldnt let their workers volunteer. you would be classed as a liability. thats the difference with British and German society.
You're slipping into "Wicked Tories" mode again, by inferring all t'mill owners (British employers?) wouldn't let their people volunteer. One word for you my friend "Territorials" or as Dave & his mates are now titling them, "The Army reserve" not forgetting the RAF & Navy reserve.

While containing, as the title states eligible ex-service personnel (reservists), there are also quite a few volunteers who have a day job & are willing participants in deployments with the blessings of their employers so that statement doesn't cut it.

And if the Military can train & deploy "Civvie Volunteers", surely the emergency services are capable of following a similar line?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..