Accrington Web
   

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!


Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!



Like Tree679Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-12-2011, 14:38   #841
God Member
 
Eric's Avatar
 

Re: The Tories

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Looks like you two haven't a brain between ya
Here we go with that ad hominem garbage again .... one of the most common fallacies for those on here with the "13 years etc" mantra as their only argument The fallacy is: Say, person A, let's call him "c'mon" makes a statement; person B, let's say "jaysay", makes an attack on "c'mon". Therefore, "c'mon's" argument is false. But in most cases, the character, circumstances etc of a person making an argument do not usually have a bearing on the validity of that argument. Whatever arguments he brings to support his position, whatever weight of evidence he brings to bear, are ignored: "He/she must be wrong because of who he/she is".

I can't say I agree with all the pro-socialist arguments. I believe that socialism has to change to recognize changes that have occured in society ... a no-brainer really. To use decades old rhetoric is not all that useful in the twenty-first century. But some things have not changed. Let's use a Hyndburn MP's number: 95% of folks are nibbling on crumbs that 5% let fall while they are munching on the cake. The exercise of political power is in the hands of the 5%. But the source of that power is with the 95%. It is the task of some form of socialism to mobilize this power, and begin the process of redistributing a nation's wealth.

Another thing that is bugging me is the continual use of simplistic analogies to describe how we can get out of economic messes ... believe me, we get this garbage over here too. A household budget is not a national economy in a complex economic world. I have no doubt that governments manipulate figures, and indulge in some dubious accounting practices, in order to present a picture of the economy that conforms to their ideologies.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 21-12-2011, 14:55   #842
I am Banned
 
groove's Avatar
 

Re: The Tories

Politics politics yawn yawn bloody yawn
groove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2011, 15:05   #843
Beacon of light

 
Margaret Pilkington's Avatar
Re: The Tories

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post

Another thing that is bugging me is the continual use of simplistic analogies to describe how we can get out of economic messes ... believe me, we get this garbage over here too. A household budget is not a national economy in a complex economic world. I have no doubt that governments manipulate figures, and indulge in some dubious accounting practices, in order to present a picture of the economy that conforms to their ideologies.

It is quite plan that there isn't a simple solution to sort out the financial ills that currently beset the world...it isn't just the UK and Europe that are having a tough financial time.

If it was simple then the Eu would have sorted the Eurozone crisis by now...but there simply isn't a one size fits all solution....and that was the mistake of a single currency.......it was trying to force a one size fits all on all the countries in the Eurozone, regardless of their ability to maintain budgets and have equal growth...it was never going to happen.
The Southern Med countries don't have the same productivity/manufacturing to be able to compete with the likes of Germany and France

And you are right when you say that governments manipulate figures....and indulge in dubious accounting(amonst a lot of othe dubious practices, no doubt)....and the budgetary management system of a household cannot really be used to manage the finances of the UK, but certain tenets of household management, had they been employed, would have meant us being in much less of a mess...or certainly the mess being addressed long before now....but it wasn't....and it doesn't really matter how we got here in this mess.....what is absolutely certain is we need some decisive action to sort it out.......and I can't see the cavalry through my woolworths telescope.

And Groove, if you find politics boring, why don't you just burger off?
No-one makes you read this stuff.
__________________
A government is the most dangerous threat to man's rights: it holds a legal monopoly on the use of physical force against legally disarmed victims.”
― Ayn Rand
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2011, 17:58   #844
Resting in Peace
 
jaysay's Avatar
 

Re: The Tories

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Here we go with that ad hominem garbage again .... one of the most common fallacies for those on here with the "13 years etc" mantra as their only argument The fallacy is: Say, person A, let's call him "c'mon" makes a statement; person B, let's say "jaysay", makes an attack on "c'mon". Therefore, "c'mon" argument is false. But in most cases, the character, circumstances etc of a person making an argument do not usually have a bearing on the validity of that argument. Whatever arguments he brings to support his position, whatever weight of evidence he brings to bear, are ignored: "He/she must be wrong because of who he/she is".

I can't say I agree with all the pro-socialist arguments. I believe that socialism has to change to recognize changes that have occurred in society ... a no-brainer really. To use decades old rhetoric is not all that useful in the twenty-first century. But some things have not changed. Let's use a Hyndburn MP number: 95% of folks are nibbling on crumbs that 5% let fall while they are munching on the cake. The exercise of political power is in the hands of the 5%. But the source of that power is with the 95%. It is the task of some form of socialism to mobilize this power, and begin the process of redistributing a nation's wealth.

Another thing that is bugging me is the continual use of simplistic analogies to describe how we can get out of economic messes ... believe me, we get this garbage over here too. A household budget is not a national economy in a complex economic world. I have no doubt that governments manipulate figures, and indulge in some dubious accounting practices, in order to present a picture of the economy that conforms to their ideologies.
Eric if you listen to C'mon and any of is little bunch of cronies (2) the ills of this country started on the 6th May 2010, when it was actually 1st May 1997, remember things can only get better, now we're paying £45 billion in interest every year alone, on reckless spending, but its hard to understand sat in a log cabin accross the pond
__________________
35 YEARS AND COUNTING
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2011, 19:08   #845
Beacon of light

 
Margaret Pilkington's Avatar
Re: The Tories

The other maddening thing is, that we are led to believe we can influence the way our country is governed, by exercising democratic process...voting......and before Mancie comes on here and tells me that I am not allowed an opinion because I did not vote.........
I didn't vote because it feels like it is a worthless process...because none of the political parties is prepared to listen to the fears and anxieties of the electorate.....

The uncontrolled immigration, the human rights act which seems to protect the criminals rights, but leave the victims not only without the same right the criminals want, but traumatised by the crime too.

The sleaze and corruption in government....which seems to go unpunished, the cosying up to big business(by all parties - not just the tories) so that they can gain financial favours...tax avoidance by large companies while pensioners are being landed with huge tax bills(through no fault of their own).......because HMRC can't do their sums right - and threatening to send bailiffs in if the tax isn't paid......but if you are Vodafone or Topshop.....you won't be hounded because your accounts are offshore and so therefore don't pay the dues that they should.

How can we, the little ordinary people get our point across if democratic process is ignored?
__________________
A government is the most dangerous threat to man's rights: it holds a legal monopoly on the use of physical force against legally disarmed victims.”
― Ayn Rand

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 21-12-2011 at 19:11.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2011, 19:23   #846
Super Moderator


 
Wynonie Harris's Avatar
 

Re: The Tories

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
the ills of this country started on the 6th May 2010, when it was actually 1st May 1997
A little quote which effectively illustrates the blindness of those who wear political blinkers of EITHER variety. The ills of this country didn't start on either of those dates, it's something which has crept up on us over a much longer period, aided and abetted by BOTH parties...and we've allowed it to happen.
__________________
Wynonie Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2011, 20:13   #847
Beacon of light

 
Margaret Pilkington's Avatar
Re: The Tories

How can you stop things happening if democratic process is no longer effective?

You could say that the withdrawal of my vote has allowed it to happen, but I didn't see my vote as having any power whatsoever...because there is no-one listening....and it doesn't matter how hard you shout....you are wasting your time and energy if there is no-one listening.
__________________
A government is the most dangerous threat to man's rights: it holds a legal monopoly on the use of physical force against legally disarmed victims.”
― Ayn Rand
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2011, 20:19   #848
God Member
 
Eric's Avatar
 

Re: The Tories

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Eric if you listen to C'mon and any of is little bunch of cronies (2) the ills of this country started on the 6th May 2010, when it was actually 1st May 1997, remember things can only get better, now we're paying £45 billion in interest every year alone, on reckless spending, but its hard to understand sat in a log cabin accross the pond
Point is Jaysay, I do listen ... I may not agree all the time, but I don't dismiss his points because of who he is. And we do have similar problems over here (and I wish I could afford a log cabin, those things cost an arm and a leg) Some folks consider buying 80 F-35s is a little profligate ... or spending billions on new prisons at a time when the crime rate is taking a nose-dive. Conservatives over here believe that money spent on subsidizing day care, increasing pensions, expanding health care etc is a waste.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2011, 20:56   #849
God Member
 
cmonstanley's Avatar
 

Re: The Tories

same over here highest unemployment,highest homeless increase,highest re-posessions,highest borrowing[when they said they would reduce it will soon be added by the highest death figures on our coastline by shutting down coastguards DRIFTING FERRY HIGHLIGHTS JUST HOW DANGEROUS TORY COASTGUARD CUTS ARE | Russell Brown MP frigates having to travel 400 miles to intercept russian navy British Destroyer ship intercepted the Russian Convoys << update news today immigration at its highest when they promised to reduce actually they are doing nothing as they got rid of half of the staff welcome to the money saving tories Redundant and retired border staff return to cope with Games rush | News
__________________
www.private-eye.co.uk
cmonstanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2011, 21:57   #850
Give, give, give member
 
garinda's Avatar
 

Re: The Tories

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmonstanley View Post
same over here highest unemployment,highest homeless increase,highest re-posessions,highest borrowing[when they said they would reduce it will soon be added by the highest death figures on our coastline by shutting down coastguards DRIFTING FERRY HIGHLIGHTS JUST HOW DANGEROUS TORY COASTGUARD CUTS ARE | Russell Brown MP frigates having to travel 400 miles to intercept russian navy British Destroyer ship intercepted the Russian Convoys << update news today immigration at its highest when they promised to reduce actually they are doing nothing as they got rid of half of the staff welcome to the money saving tories Redundant and retired border staff return to cope with Games rush | News
If I squint my eyes at that, I can see what looks like Fagin's face in the middle of it.
__________________
'If you're going to be a Kant, be the very best Kant there is my son.'
Johann Georg Kant, father of Immanuel Kant, philosopher.






garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2011, 22:28   #851
God Member
 
cmonstanley's Avatar
 

Re: The Tories

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
The other maddening thing is, that we are led to believe we can influence the way our country is governed, by exercising democratic process...voting......and before Mancie comes on here and tells me that I am not allowed an opinion because I did not vote.........
I didn't vote because it feels like it is a worthless process...because none of the political parties is prepared to listen to the fears and anxieties of the electorate.....

The uncontrolled immigration, the human rights act which seems to protect the criminals rights, but leave the victims not only without the same right the criminals want, but traumatised by the crime too.

The sleaze and corruption in government....which seems to go unpunished, the cosying up to big business(by all parties - not just the tories) so that they can gain financial favours...tax avoidance by large companies while pensioners are being landed with huge tax bills(through no fault of their own).......because HMRC can't do their sums right - and threatening to send bailiffs in if the tax isn't paid......but if you are Vodafone or Topshop.....you won't be hounded because your accounts are offshore and so therefore don't pay the dues that they should.

How can we, the little ordinary people get our point across if democratic process is ignored?
its your democratic right not to vote but i think a campaign should be started to reduce the deposit you have to pay to stand for parliament and the local councils so more parties can afford to enter the fray
__________________
www.private-eye.co.uk
cmonstanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2011, 22:32   #852
God Member
 
Eric's Avatar
 

Re: The Tories

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmonstanley View Post
same over here highest unemployment,highest homeless increase,highest re-posessions,highest borrowing[when they said they would reduce it will soon be added by the highest death figures on our coastline by shutting down coastguards DRIFTING FERRY HIGHLIGHTS JUST HOW DANGEROUS TORY COASTGUARD CUTS ARE | Russell Brown MP frigates having to travel 400 miles to intercept russian navy British Destroyer ship intercepted the Russian Convoys << update news today immigration at its highest when they promised to reduce actually they are doing nothing as they got rid of half of the staff welcome to the money saving tories Redundant and retired border staff return to cope with Games rush | News
One thing I don't understand is the UK government's cuts to the military. On this side of the Atlantic, the military is the darling of conservatives, American Repblicans in particular .... Canadian supposi -tories also tend to increase funding to the military, at the expense, of course, of education, health care, welfare, First Nations, etc. I've read of the cuts to the Royal Navy, and to the Army and the Royal Air Force. Our conservatives, on the other hand, have pumped billions into the purchase of new multi-role fighters for the RCAF, and have allocated over $50 billion for the construction of new warships. Also the issue of border staff and the conflict with the police forces ... border security and policing are usually major tory concerns.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2011, 22:35   #853
Give, give, give member
 
garinda's Avatar
 

Re: The Tories

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmonstanley View Post
its your democratic right not to vote but i think a campaign should be started to reduce the deposit you have to pay to stand for parliament and the local councils so more parties can afford to enter the fray
The normal array of nutters don't seem to struggle too much, raising their deposit.

You standing for the Scared Witless Ex-Accrington Residents - Forced Away By The Dog Stabber party?
__________________
'If you're going to be a Kant, be the very best Kant there is my son.'
Johann Georg Kant, father of Immanuel Kant, philosopher.






garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2011, 22:46   #854
God Member
 
cmonstanley's Avatar
 

Re: The Tories

you just wont let it lie,down boy down boy
__________________
www.private-eye.co.uk
cmonstanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2011, 22:47   #855
God Member
 
Eric's Avatar
 

Re: The Tories

Quote:
Originally Posted by groove View Post
Politics politics yawn yawn bloody yawn
Actually, the points I am addressing are the illogic of ad hominem arguments, and the weakness of simplistic analogies. Have a nice sleep
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools



Other sites of interest.. More town sites..




All times are GMT. The time now is 12:03.


© 2003-2013 AccringtonWeb.com


Page generated in 0.66522 seconds with 12 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1