Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-03-2010, 15:13   #136
Give, give, give member

Re: The Tory "dirty tricks brigade" and the media

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Oh dear me Jaysay, that was pathetic, the only reason you know he was grateful was because he told us all how helpful your mate had been, rindy keeps telling you he isn't affiliated to any tantrum filled party and like any normal adult, if someone has helped him willingly acknowledges that fact.

Why you should make a ridiculous attempt to turn that against him doesn't lower him in my standards, but it certainly has me doubting your common sense.

Tsk, talk about dummies and spitting?

How much lower can you get?

By the way, so far as canvassing no-one from any party has appeared at Westwood villa's, (perhap's it's the long walk from the gate to the tradesman's entrance or the fact the dogs haven't been fed lately?).

However let's make this a bit of a competition the first one from ANY party that calls will be offered a brew and considered just because they have bothered to turn up.

Come on Karen, this could be the very bit of press coverage you've been waiting for.
I didn't 'need' help.

I asked my councillor, Peter Britcliffe, a question, and received an answer, and very useful additional help.

Before all this happened, even though I've criticised some of the council's ideas and policies in the past, a council lead by Cllr. Britcliffe, I've always stated that I knew catagorically that if I ever needed his help, I knew it would be offered willingly, and unconditionally. Which was the case, when this later happened.

The shakers and cripples of Hyndburn were very grateful for the help we received, and I publicly thanked the council, and it's leader, on their behalf.

I wasn't aware that this would be raised again, but I can assure you, the crippled shakers are eternally grateful.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 27-03-2010, 18:05   #137
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I agree, but not knocking on doors especially after the last few years, and that goes for all sides. You keep knocking Britciffe but if he is as bad as you want us to believe why as he been a councillor for 27 years and if the Tory council is so bad and Labour so great under Jones why are they not in control, I notice you were gratefull earlier last year when you needed help, maybe that's what most people in St Andrews ward think that somewhere along the line he's helped them out too, and vote for him
At the risk of sounding rude, I've been out again today and more than three quarters of those I've spoken to were undecided until I knocked on the door - and yes, they did decide that they would vote for me.

There are any number of ways of cheap political point scoring but I am winning these people over by showing what I am actually doing in Rishton via honest talk and well-presented flyers.

From what I can gather, Cllr Britcliffe wins in Ossy time and again through raping all the other wards to feather his own nest. The official figures from the HBC website demonstrate just how much money has been spent on facilities that are already there in Oswaldtwistle and yet nothing is spent in other wards where there is nothing.

Spare a thought for poor Clayton-le-Moors which raises enormous amounts in tax revenue and gets virtually nothing back.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2010, 23:52   #138
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
From what I can gather, Cllr Britcliffe wins in Ossy time and again through raping all the other wards to feather his own nest. The official figures from the HBC website demonstrate just how much money has been spent on facilities that are already there in Oswaldtwistle and yet nothing is spent in other wards where there is nothing.

Spare a thought for poor Clayton-le-Moors which raises enormous amounts in tax revenue and gets virtually nothing back.
That's come up a lot on here, accusations of a heavy Ossy bias, which those outside the town resent.

The party acolytes always retort with the answer that he's been a councillor for umpteen years, so he must be doing something right.

Right yes...for the people of Oswaldtwistle. As the vast majority of people in the borough seem to see it.

The blue faithful haven't realised yet that the people of the whole borough didn't elect the Leader of the Council, his fellow Tory councillors did.

When he could have claimed a mandate from the people of Hyndburn, that they wanted him to lead them, in two different General Elections, they decided against him..twice.

Which perhaps is some sort of a mandate from the electorate, after all.

Old 28-03-2010, 03:39   #139
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
That's come up a lot on here, accusations of a heavy Ossy bias, which those outside the town resent.

The party acolytes always retort with the answer that he's been a councillor for umpteen years, so he must be doing something right.

Right yes...for the people of Oswaldtwistle. As the vast majority of people in the borough seem to see it.

The blue faithful haven't realised yet that the people of the whole borough didn't elect the Leader of the Council, his fellow Tory councillors did.

When he could have claimed a mandate from the people of Hyndburn, that they wanted him to lead them, in two different General Elections, they decided against him..twice.

Which perhaps is some sort of a mandate from the electorate, after all.
should probably be a new thread " who contributes most to Hyndburn" but here goes ...... are there any figures available showing which of the Hyndburn 'townships', Accrington/Gt.Harwood /Rishton/Clayton/Oswaldtwisle/Church/Altham. Contribute the most per head of population thru council tax to the Borough after deducting all amounts subsidised by council tax relief .
just curious
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2010, 08:09   #140
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
should probably be a new thread " who contributes most to Hyndburn" but here goes ...... are there any figures available showing which of the Hyndburn 'townships', Accrington/Gt.Harwood /Rishton/Clayton/Oswaldtwisle/Church/Altham. Contribute the most per head of population thru council tax to the Borough after deducting all amounts subsidised by council tax relief .
just curious
The figures are available and show that Oswaldtwistle does indeed raise quite a large amount of tax which is comfortably represented in its facilities. In comparison, Rishton's tax revenue is almost exactly half of that figure and we've seen nothing like the investment we should have had.

Before a figure of £90k is brought up about Holt Street recreational ground, it amounts to draining a playing field and building a rudimentary hut, which makes that a remarkably expensive project for what it is. Work has also halted because the money 'ran out'.

I can give you a list of projects in Ossy from October 2007, for which the newspaper reports all seem to have a smiling picture of Councillor Britcliffe next to them. Like I said, I've never met the man but Rishton has two Tory councillors to Labour's one, so why are they not standing up asking Mr Britcliffe to spare a penny for Rishton?

I should also add that I used Clayton-le-Moors as an example because it raises more money per head of population than any other ward, if the official figures are to be believed. The official spending figures certainly shouldn't be believed, particularly when Rishton had well over £1m spent on it in the last twelve months from HBC.

Filtering out services provided by LCC which can't be included in those figures, where exactly has £1m been spent in Rishton in one year??? That would more than solve all the problems that the residents are screaming out about. The figures also show that spending far outweighed tax revenue by millions of pounds across the borough.

We certainly need more clarity on that particular issue.

Last edited by Ken Moss; 28-03-2010 at 08:16.
Old 28-03-2010, 08:39   #141
God Member

Thanks Ken ,was just playing the Devils Advocate and trying to stir public awareness up but appreciate your immediate response ,I'm not sure if you really belong in the Labour coven , hope you get local support , you come across a a decent guy
Old 28-03-2010, 08:48   #142
Resting in Peace

Quote:
At the risk of sounding rude, I've been out again today and more than three quarters of those I've spoken to were undecided until I knocked on the door - and yes, they did decide that they would vote for me.

There are any number of ways of cheap political point scoring but I am winning these people over by showing what I am actually doing in Rishton via honest talk and well-presented flyers.

when we had a Labour Council Ossy got nothing whilst Labour heartlands such as Springhill and Huncoat were awash with anything they wanted so don't come tha crap with
Old 28-03-2010, 08:52   #143
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
Thanks Ken ,was just playing the Devils Advocate and trying to stir public awareness up but appreciate your immediate response ,I'm not sure if you really belong in the Labour coven , hope you get local support , you come across a a decent guy
Thanks for that, and I'll apologise retroactively for being a bit brusque when I first joined the forum!

Old 28-03-2010, 09:00   #144
Common Sense Member

Quote:
when we had a Labour Council Ossy got nothing whilst Labour heartlands such as Springhill and Huncoat were awash with anything they wanted so don't come tha crap with
That's before my involvement so I can't really comment, John. I'm simply putting across what I see at the moment and it is substantiated by official council figures. Whoever is 'in power', it doesn't do to concentrate money in one ward which is what appears to have been happening for quite some time.

To look at Huncoat and Springhill and say that they were given what they wanted at the time, they're hardly overflowing with facilities, are they? I understand that plans to convert a greenfield site into a housing estate in Huncoat were fiercely opposed by residents who had no proper consultations and the discussions that were held were not recorded.

What is required at HBC, and this really should go for all meetings between officials, is that they are properly minuted. I certainly won't be having any meetings (whether elected or otherwise) without a witness and a minute-taker. No impropriety and everyone is quite clear about where they stand.

Old 28-03-2010, 09:02   #145
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Thanks for that, and I'll apologise retroactively for being a bit brusque when I first joined the forum!
Do you mean when I jumped on your every word?

You eventually grew on me, because you explained and defended what you said, and didn't stamp your feet, pull a sulky face, and shout that you were being picked on by an anti-Labour 'twister' of words.

Heck you even showed you have a sense of humour, which is rare in some circles.

Old 28-03-2010, 09:05   #146
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Do you mean when I jumped on your every word?

You eventually grew on me, because you explained and defended what you said, and didn't stamp your feet, pull a sulky face, and shout that you were being picked on by an anti-Labour 'twister' of words.

Heck you even showed you have a sense of humour, which is rare in some circles.

Yes you did, and I'm still considering what to do about you. Your penchant for political bias shows that you're clearly a staunch Tory who picks on innocent thin-skinned Labourites such as myself. The lack of research that goes into your ill-thought out posts is also beneath contempt and the accusations of you victimising those with political ambitions is not without merit and may God strike me down.........

Old 28-03-2010, 09:11   #147
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Yes you did, and I'm still considering what to do about you. Your penchant for political bias shows that you're clearly a staunch Tory who picks on innocent thin-skinned Labourites such as myself. The lack of research that goes into your ill-thought out posts is also beneath contempt and the accusations of you victimising those with political ambitions is not without merit and may God strike me down.........

Okay, calm down.

I said a 'sense of humour', not that you were semi-pro, and once appeared on The Comedians.

Old 28-03-2010, 09:18   #148
Common Sense Member

Interesting range of expressions there - you're not Phil Cool, are you?

Anyway, back on topic. Those pesky Tories.....

Actually, 'pescatore' is how seafood pizzas are listed - is there a joke in there, Gary?

Old 28-03-2010, 09:20   #149
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Interesting range of expressions there - you're not Phil Cool, are you?
No, professionally I'm Garinda Cooler-Still.

Old 28-03-2010, 09:21   #150
God Member

Quote:
Sorry jaysay , much as I respect you, think you are out of order in slagging off Ken Moss for his comments , I was born in Ossy, raised in Gt. Harwood and moved to Accy on getting wed, but it's allways been a "sore spot" amongst the Borough electorate that the old UDCs lost out to "centralized Accrington power" Accrington got the money and sod the old UDC's districts ..... maybe PB, has been thru his position been good for Ossy , (natural, nothing wrong,local lad, you look after your own nest)I think the folks of Gt.Harwood/Rishton/ Clayton may think diferently

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..