Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-03-2010, 23:39   #16
Give, give, give member

Re: The Tory "dirty tricks brigade" and the media

For years the Tories have accused the BBC of having leftist tendencies. Now Mancie says it's actually the other way round, and really they are anti-Labour. Even though there was the recent exposé about Dr. Who, attempting to bring down Thatcher's government in the mid eighties.

Were Shep and Petra a pair of fascist dogs?

Was Johnny Morris a raving Commie?

Did Phil Redmond write Grange Hill in '78, in the hope of keeping Thatcher from 10 Downing Street?

Does Paxman dress to the left, or to the right, in his reportedly shoddily made M & S briefs?

Bringback Tiswas!

Personally I find the news reporting on the Beeb to be fairly accurate, and without bias. They report what's happening. There's always editorial decisions made about what's deemed newsworthy, but that's life in news broadcasting, be it on television, radio, or over the garden fence.

If from time to time that doesn't suit the heavily media focused political parties, that's tough.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 21-03-2010, 23:56   #17
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb View Post
1997:
Independent - Labour
Daily Mail - Labour
The Guardian - Labour
The Observer - Labour
Daily Telegraph - Conservative
The Times - Conservative
The Sun - Labour
Financial Times - Labour

Yeah it might have changed now, but that's what happens in 13 years of politics!
I know you were probably in nappies at the time, but I can personally assure you that the Daily Mail was never pro-Labour in 1997. Though interestingly, in the thirties it famously supported fascism.

In 1997 I knew both the owner, Viscount Rothermere, and the editor, Paul Dacre, quite well, and I can't state catagorically they, nor the newspaper, supported, or desired a New Labour victory. An attempt was made to recruit myself into a media plan to orchestrate bad publicity for Blair, pre-election, which I didn't take part in.

The Daily Mail did support Blair, and New Labour, in the 2001 General Election.

Facts are only worth anything when they're accurate.

Last edited by garinda; 21-03-2010 at 23:58.
Old 22-03-2010, 00:03   #18
Give, give, give member

Quote:
1997:
Independent - Labour
Daily Mail - Labour
The Guardian - Labour
The Observer - Labour
The Times - Conservative
The Sun - Labour
Financial Times - Labour

Yeah it might have changed now, but that's what happens in 13 years of politics!
Though I admit at the time, in 1997, it was genuinely shocking to see so many traditionally Tory supporting newspapers, going red, and urging their readers to vote New Labour, after 18 years of Conservative rule, under four consecutive Tory governments.

It was a strange conclusion for them to make, and for the electorate to understand.

Old 22-03-2010, 00:05   #19
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

But the sun actually did support blair rindy, so he got half his facts right. suppose thats near enough fer him.
Old 22-03-2010, 00:13   #20
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
But the sun actually did support blair rindy, so he got half his facts right. suppose thats near enough fer him.
He was right there, that's true.

I could never work out if the Beano and Dandy were pro-New Labour in '97.

Perhaps a youngster, with an in depth political insight, might be able to throw some light on the matter?

Old 22-03-2010, 00:23   #21
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
He was right there, that's true.

I could never work out if the Beano and Dandy were pro-New Labour in '97.

Perhaps a youngster, with an in depth political insight, might be able to throw some light on the matter?

Memories not what it was, but the one with "Lord Snooty" in was probably still tory.
Old 22-03-2010, 00:27   #22
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Memories not what it was, but the one with "Lord Snooty" in was probably still tory.
That's the one, with little Tommy Licker, who was always running round after Lord Snooty.

Old 22-03-2010, 00:41   #23
Give, give, give member

Quote:
1997:
Independent - Labour
Daily Mail - Labour
The Guardian - Labour
The Observer - Labour
The Times - Conservative
The Sun - Labour
Financial Times - Labour

Quoted from page 1...

'Meanwhile, instead of backing the Tories as they had done in 1992, The Times encouraged it's readers to back Euro-sceptic candidates of whatever partisan pursuasion (in 1997).'

Quoted from page 11...

'The 'Tory faithful' are readers of the three newspapers that continue to support the Conservatives in 1997, The Mail, The Express, and the Daily Telegraph.'
Powered by Google Docs

Old 22-03-2010, 00:53   #24
Give, give, give member

He may have made a mistake, but still the most damning fact is that after four Conservative governments, all the traditionally supportive Tory press came to the conclusion the Tories had failed, and the future lay with a Labour government.

Old 22-03-2010, 07:48   #25
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
He may have made a mistake, but still the most damning fact is that after four Conservative governments, all the traditionally supportive Tory press came to the conclusion the Tories had failed, and the future lay with a Labour government.
But that is a damning fact, so my money says its one that certain people will "CHOOSE" to ignore.
Old 22-03-2010, 08:35   #26
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
Look's like the Tories have got it all sorted in the run up to the election..they can do no wrong according to the newspapers.. attacks on Labour are not only daily but seem to be created for the main news on BBC and early morning editions of the papers have new revelations that are forgot in the second editions..
this is not a fair fight regarding policy.. it's tory dirty tricks.. nowt's changed there then.
I wondered why you were chucking your toys out of your pram last night, Mancie. Now I understand! Yes, Stephen Byers and his cohorts have scored rather a spectacular own goal for your lot, haven't they? Still, never mind, still plenty of mileage left in the Lord Ashcroft affair and who knows what else could break over the boy David's head? Surely, it's a bit early to be claiming "we wuz robbed"?

I'll tell you summat, Mancie, I can understand those who vote for either main party on a "lesser of two evils" basis, but anyone who still actually believes in them or trusts them really does need to wake up and smell the coffee!
Old 22-03-2010, 09:04   #27
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
I wondered why you were chucking your toys out of your pram last night, Mancie. Now I understand! Yes, Stephen Byers and his cohorts have scored rather a spectacular own goal for your lot, haven't they? Still, never mind, still plenty of mileage left in the Lord Ashcroft affair and who knows what else could break over the boy David's head? Surely, it's a bit early to be claiming "we wuz robbed"?

I'll tell you summat, Mancie, I can understand those who vote for either main party on a "lesser of two evils" basis, but anyone who still actually believes in them or trusts them really does need to wake up and smell the coffee!
It really is most unfair of Auntie to report this as a 'news story'.

She's definitely a right-wing bigot, and trying to discredit New Labour, by making a mountain out of a mole hill.

They were simply applying the 'redistribution of wealth' theory.

BBC News - Ex-ministers in 'cash for influence' row under fire

Personally they disgust me. As I said yesterday, when I posted the link to the story in the Sunday Times.

Old 22-03-2010, 09:28   #28
God Member

Quote:
Quoted from page 1...

'Meanwhile, instead of backing the Tories as they had done in 1992, The Times encouraged it's readers to back Euro-sceptic candidates of whatever partisan pursuasion (in 1997).'

Quoted from page 11...

'The 'Tory faithful' are readers of the three newspapers that continue to support the Conservatives in 1997, The Mail, The Express, and the Daily Telegraph.'