Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-03-2010, 19:50   #121
Full Member+

Re: The Tory "dirty tricks brigade" and the media

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Is that code, for thank you?
Maybe I just don't understand the benefits system - or rather, how to fiddle it! Having worked from the age of 15 to 65-years and having never received a penny in benefits until I drew my pension some years ago! On the rare occasions I have made approaches for assistance of one sort or another I have always been told that I am inelligable as my income is just above what it was required. So thanks for nothing.
Stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 26-03-2010, 23:20   #122
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumped View Post
Maybe I just don't understand the benefits system - or rather, how to fiddle it! Having worked from the age of 15 to 65-years and having never received a penny in benefits until I drew my pension some years ago! On the rare occasions I have made approaches for assistance of one sort or another I have always been told that I am inelligable as my income is just above what it was required. So thanks for nothing.
You just seemed, er...a little stumped, and unaware that people in work are entitled to social benefits, that your post seemed to hint were just available to those not working.

I find it hard to fathom how someone of your generation never received some social benefits in your working life.

Perhaps you were luckly enough never to have had a day off sick in those fifty years, and perhaps you weren't married, and had children, and therefore your spouse didn't receive any maternity leave, or child benefit payments, like every other parent of that generation, as it wasn't means tested, and available to all workers.

People work and benefit everyday.

People work, hoping they'll be able to carry on working, but knowing if they can't, because they lose their job, or they develop an illness etc, they will hopefully be cushioned by social benefits, that they've helped to fund.

People work and hope they don't pop their clogs before their retirement, so they can benefit from their old age pension, in later years.

There just a few benefits that are called as such, which workers in the past benefited from. Today there's a whole range more, as I linked in my earler reply, working tax credits etc.

We could also discuss worker's benefiting a from free education for their children, and a free health care system, if you wish, but perhaps we'll leave that for another day, when you've had time to realise, as a worker you might have benefited yourself, quite a lot in the past.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2010, 07:41   #123
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I will wee myself laughing if she does get in after all the moaning about her selection and no canvassing etc.
If that does happen, enjoy the laugh. I personally would rather have a local MP who tries to engage with their electorate than someone from an unsupportive party who rode into town at the eleventh hour.

Still, each to their own.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2010, 07:58   #124
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I will wee myself laughing if she does get in after all the moaning about her selection and no canvassing etc.
The local Conservative Association won't.

That's definitely not part of their clandestine planning.

It would mean a stunning victory for Cameron and CCO, as well as Karen.

Old 27-03-2010, 09:09   #125
Resting in Peace

Quote:
It was probably that sort of negativity that resulted in the local Conservative Association not being trusted to pick their own candidates.

Perhaps there is some appeal to the new look Conservatives, at least nationally, after all.
I can't think of any reason to start canvasing a month before any election, people treat politicians knocking on doors worse the JWs, 8 weeks before an election people have forgot you've ever been, as for leaflets, any political leaflet is only as good as it takes to read from the front door to he recycling sack
Old 27-03-2010, 09:12   #126
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I can't think of any reason to start canvasing a month before any election, people treat politicians knocking on doors worse the JWs, 8 weeks before an election people have forgot you've ever been, as for leaflets, any political leaflet is only as good as it takes to read from the front door to he recycling sack
Perhaps the people forgetting ya have been,only applies to Tory knockers? after all you wouldn't know.
Old 27-03-2010, 09:24   #127
Give, give, give member

Quote:
People aren't as stupid as you seem to think.

Any politican worth his weight would start a campaign as soon as the last election results have been announced.

Joe Public take notice of the little things throughout the whole term, and what's actually being done, rather than what some politicans decide to tell them about their achievements, such as saving a pensioners' seaside special, weeks before an election....yet again.

Old 27-03-2010, 09:33   #128
Resting in Peace

Quote:
People aren't as stupid as you seem to think.

Any politican worth his weight would start a campaign as soon as the last election results have been announced.

Joe Public take notice of the little things throughout the whole term, and what's actually being done, rather than what some politicans decide to tell them about their achievements, such as saving a pensioners' seaside special, weeks before an election....yet again.

I agree, but not knocking on doors especially after the last few years, and that goes for all sides. You keep knocking Britciffe but if he is as bad as you want us to believe why as he been a councillor for 27 years and if the Tory council is so bad and Labour so great under Jones why are they not in control, I notice you were gratefull earlier last year when you needed help, maybe that's what most people in St Andrews ward think that somewhere along the line he's helped them out too, and vote for him
Old 27-03-2010, 09:42   #129
Give, give, give member

Quote:
I agree, but not knocking on doors especially after the last few years, and that goes for all sides. You keep knocking Britciffe but if he is as bad as you want us to believe why as he been a councillor for 27 years and if the Tory council is so bad and Labour so great under Jones why are they not in control, I notice you were gratefull earlier last year when you needed help, maybe that's what most people in St Andrews ward think that somewhere along the line he's helped them out too, and vote for him
Posted by myself yesterday, in reference to Cllr. Britcliffe.

Quote:
One to one he's as sound as a pound, and he is clever
Though I'm still waiting for any pathetic accusations of being pro-Tory.

Old 27-03-2010, 10:01   #130
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Posted by myself yesterday, in reference to Cllr. Britcliffe.

Though I'm still waiting for any pathetic accusations of being pro-Tory.

Bet you had everything crossed when you wrote that
Old 27-03-2010, 10:13   #131
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Bet you had everything crossed when you wrote that
No need for that, as I don't lie, and give credit where it's due...when applicable.

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...ffe-46467.html

Old 27-03-2010, 13:21   #132
Resting in Peace

Quote:
No need for that, as I don't lie, and give credit where it's due...when applicable.

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...ffe-46467.html

You'll be wearing hats alike next
Old 27-03-2010, 14:33   #133
Give, give, give member

Quote:
You'll be wearing hats alike next
I'd be afraid an organ grinder's monkey might steal it, and throw it into some ring.

Only for it to be thrown right back out again.

Old 27-03-2010, 14:43   #134
Resting in Peace

Quote:
I'd be afraid an organ grinder's monkey might steal it, and throw it into some ring.

Only for it to be thrown right back out again.

Never realised you were on a leash
Old 27-03-2010, 14:47   #135
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
I notice you were gratefull earlier last year when you needed help,
Oh dear me Jaysay, that was pathetic, the only reason you know he was grateful was because he told us all how helpful your mate had been, rindy keeps telling you he isn't affiliated to any tantrum filled party and like any normal adult, if someone has helped him willingly acknowledges that fact.

Why you should make a ridiculous attempt to turn that against him doesn't lower him in my standards, but it certainly has me doubting your common sense.

Tsk, talk about dummies and spitting?

How much lower can you get?

By the way, so far as canvassing no-one from any party has appeared at Westwood villa's, (perhap's it's the long walk from the gate to the tradesman's entrance or the fact the dogs haven't been fed lately?).

However let's make this a bit of a competition the first one from ANY party that calls will be offered a brew and considered just because they have bothered to turn up.

Come on Karen, this could be the very bit of press coverage you've been waiting for.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..