Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree227Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2020, 16:38   #46
Senior Member+

Re: The U.S.A.

As you know Cashy, I have lived there for a period, I also visited Washington DC when in the RAF - we were doing a job at the Embassy. The first thing I was told was "Do not go into the shaded area on this map at any time but especially not after dark". That was a large portion of Washington. When I went to live in Tucson a similar instruction from a resident of Tucson. "Do not go into South Tucson unless it is essential and never after dark" This was in the late '70s and mid '80s
Accrington Web
Old 07-06-2020, 17:10   #47
Beacon of light

Were you given reasons Barry?

I think that in all big cities there are places it is best not to be after dark.
Redfern in Sydney fits that category.
We were told not to venture there after dark.....not that we had any need to....but we were warned by a hotel employee.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 17:45   #48
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

i can guess why.
monkey hanger likes this.
Old 07-06-2020, 20:33   #49
Beacon of light

The BLM mobsters in Bristol have torn down a statue ofSir Edward Colston and chucked it into the Dock.

Maybe they were offended that this man was a slave trader...he bought black slaves from other black men( as Less noted) and sold them...but that was not the only thing he did.

He was an MP...he was responsible for setting up schools, hospitals and almsshouse to make the lives of the poor people in and around Bristol more acceptable.

I wonder if those who did this act of vandalism knew anything about the man other than he traded slaves...and back then it gave work and put bread on the tables of Bistolian families....it is impossible to turn back the clock, nor should we forget that what these men did at the time, we cannot and should not be apologising for.
It was of the time....historical.Can't be changed...throwing his statue into the drink makes it all better does it?

Maybe ANY acto of vandalism or violence is made acceptable if it is in the name of BLM

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 07-06-2020 at 20:35.
Old 08-06-2020, 07:32   #50
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

those who destroyed that statue and those that support the action are SCUM nothing else.
monkey hanger likes this.
Old 08-06-2020, 08:28   #51
God Member

[QUOTE=Margaret Pilkington;1240851]The BLM mobsters in Bristol have torn down a statue ofSir Edward Colston and chucked it into the Dock.

Maybe they were offended that this man was a slave trader...he bought black slaves from other black men( as Less noted) and sold them...but that was not the only thing he did.

He was an MP...he was responsible for setting up schools, hospitals and almsshouse to make the lives of the poor people in and around Bristol more acceptable.

I wonder if those who did this act of vandalism knew anything about the man other than he traded slaves...and back then it gave work and put bread on the tables of Bistolian families....

lets hope anyone else who has a statue has never come out with a racist or homophobic comment in their lives as we,ll see few statues left. the action in bristol was obviously pre arranged. think i,ll find a couple of mates and we,ll nip up to hartlepool to destroy the andy capp statue due to his attitude to women. i imagine i,d get a court appearance much quicker than those will.
DaveinGermany likes this.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 08:34   #52
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
those who destroyed that statue and those that support the action are SCUM nothing else.
they are and the rest of em might actually put the chances of all of us getting back to normal with the virus. with the possible increase in infection due to these protests then possible increased deaths. suppose these deaths don not matter either. next thing we,ll have to put up with will be the counter demonstations by the EDL and others of their like just to make things even worse.
Old 08-06-2020, 08:39   #53
God Member

[QUOTE=Margaret Pilkington;124084

I think that in all big cities there are places it is best not to be after dark.
Redfern in Sydney fits that category.
We were told not to venture there after dark.....not that we had any need to....but we were warned by a hotel employee.[/QUOTE]

there are places in this country where you would not walk down at night especially on your own. parts of bradford, huddersfield and even a small town like keighley are bad. wonder what blackburn is like. the thing is everyone know what these places have in common.
Old 08-06-2020, 08:42   #54
Beacon of light

I am sure that all of the unrest that this death provoked, has caused a magnification of the grief of George Floyds family.
All the hurt that has been caused, all the damage.....and will it resurrect this man?

Will any of it change what happens in the US....I really doubt it.

As for these people and the possibility of them transmitting infection to each other.....well, goodness knows....I hope that does not happen.(!)
Wouldn't that be tragic?
Old 08-06-2020, 10:21   #55
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
As for these people and the possibility of them transmitting infection to each other.....well, goodness knows....I hope that does not happen.(!)
Wouldn't that be tragic?
The real tragedy will be,
if because of the actions of these protestors (be they of benefit to the cause of black people or not),
will be to unravel all the good that has been done by the Black, White, Asian and other members of U.K. society that have spent time in isolation for 11 weeks to protect each other,
is wasted by the NHS being inundated by a new wave of black patients that are more vulnerable to covid than the majority.

Of course if this happens these blacks can blame it all on the whites that joined in the protests after all, they were irresponsible, they knew the blacks were more vulnerable to breaking the isolation than they were and should have stayed away.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 10:38   #56
Beacon of light

Less, It seems to me that currently it is a sin to be white.
Now forgive me..but again is that not some kind of racism?

I do not believe that all of these vilolent protests have been all about the death of one black man at the hands of a white(thug) law officer.
I think it is just an excuse for anarchic thuggery.
Black lives matter my ar5s(as the chap in the Royle famliy noted).....did the life or health of the policewoman (who was hurt when some moron chucked a bike at her horse), not matter?

And all this 'taking the knee' ...what a load of small round things...these are just meaningless virtue signalling gestures.....and I object to the police getting into such flim flam...if they want to do this when not in uniform, fine...but do not weaken your already tenuous position by this posturing.

All that crap about the coronavirus making society kinder, softer and more pleasant...well that did not last long did it. I have had ice lollies that lasted longer.
Old 08-06-2020, 10:54   #57

Quote:
Less, It seems to me that currently it is a sin to be white.
Now forgive me..but again is that not some kind of racism?

I can forgive you anything except being white.
Because I have decided to become a member of the white middle class,
which requires me to denounce anything great that white people may have done for the world and to continuously get down on one knee and apologise for all that is wrong with the world.

I have been online and ordered up the standard uniform of sack cloth and ashes from Amazon and paid extra to have it express delivered.

If ever we are allowed out of quarantine and we meet down town I will be the one with the plaquard 'White lives are a disgrace' and ringing a hand bell to warn all blacks and others that I am in the area.
DaveinGermany likes this.
Old 08-06-2020, 11:36   #58
Beacon of light

Ok Less...better get out the Cherry blossom then...except then I would be guilty of cultural appropriation.
Can't win...can't even draw.
Old 08-06-2020, 11:48   #59

Quote:
Ok Less...better get out the Cherry blossom then...except then I would be guilty of cultural appropriation.
Can't win...can't even draw.
Cherry Blossom comes in many shades be very careful which one you choose or you will be in trouble.

Anyhow I'll be alright because when the crunch finally comes and we all have to show our heritage I have a few birth marks that are dark brown in colour thus proving somewhere in my past I have black ancestors.

Meanwhile, 'Where the white women at?'.

Old 08-06-2020, 12:11   #60
Beacon of light

I hate to think that all these people feel victimised by the folk they consider to have
white privilege.
I mean, who would be fool enough to victimise Anthony Joshua?....he is a man who is wealthy(ok...I know he has earned that by being hit about the head in the boxing ring....but he still privileged)....many of those celebs who were participating were there to raise their own profil....to look good to the impressionable....those who like to emulate these rich folk in the public eye.

As to the Cherry Blossom Less...I only have two colours.....one is brown....the other is black....which will create the most trouble?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..