Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree227Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2020, 11:31   #106
Beacon of light

Re: The U.S.A.

I didn't even know there was such a thing as a quarter farthing...you can't even get a bite of a penny chew for that Taddy.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 12-06-2020, 17:36   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I didn't even know there was such a thing as a quarter farthing...you can't even get a bite of a penny chew for that Taddy.
If you notice on old shillings, sixpences, pennies,Half pennies and Farthings; by old, I am talking probably a hundred years or so before me and you ever saw the light of day,all the above mentioned coins had a cross on the reverse.

This was to allow the peasents of the time to "snap" them into halves or quarters, if you "snapped" a penny, you would have two valid "halfpennies",
if you snapped a Farthing, you would have two valid half Farthings (and if you "snapped" a "half Farthing you would have two valid Quarter Farthings.

You really should come to my history school, maybe you would learn something.

As in an earlier post, I was not over good at English but I did used to love learning about proper history, Not the rubbish that is being taught nowadays, again I am going to ask you who was the history teacher at Woodnook that fired my interest in ancient history? I must admit that I am not the most avid reader but I do have books that I still enjoy reading about the early history of England, I.E. "The Warrier Kings Of Saxon England" along with others,. When a King Named Althelstan, Became the first True Ruler OF Wessex and England and where our present Queens ancesters are believed to have come from.
I think that the Hobgoblin is now beginning to taking over so I will sign off.
Your's the Lancashire and true English Luddite.
DaveinGermany likes this.
taddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 17:40   #108

By the way Warrier should read Warrior, maybe the Hobgoblin is not as strong as I thought it was.
Old 12-06-2020, 17:56   #109
Beacon of light

Taddy here is a picture of a mediaevil Long cross penny. If this were quatered it would eaquate to a farthing.
This could be divided into farthings...but quarter fartings were minted as whole coins...I have seen a pic of one marked 1859.....so not that far back
Old 12-06-2020, 17:57   #110
Beacon of light

Taddy here is a picture of a 13th century Long cross penny. If this were quartered it would eaquate to a farthing.
This could be divided into farthings...but quarter fartings were minted as whole coins...I have seen a pic of one marked 1859.....so not that far back
monkey hanger likes this.
Old 12-06-2020, 17:59   #111
Beacon of light

Taddy here is a picture of a medievil Long cross penny. If this were quartered it would eaquate to a farthing.
Old 12-06-2020, 21:09   #112
God Member

Looks like Taddy’s not the only one on Hobgoblin tonight! 🍻
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2020, 07:52   #113
God Member

Quote:
quarter fartings were minted as whole coins...I have seen a pic of one marked 1859.....so not that far back
know half farthings were minted with victorias young head on them. never seen or heard of the quarter farthing. my old man used to collect british coins when he was alive and had very few gaps in his collection from the 17th century onwards. funny where they all got to after he died, but thats another story.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2020, 08:43   #114

Quote:
Taddy here is a picture of a mediaevil Long cross penny. If this were quatered it would eaquate to a farthing.
Ah well, I am afraid that I must bow down to the Knowledge of the Female of the species once again but then again I was only going off what the two ounces of grey matter between my ears were telling me.
I Should have cheated like yourself and looked it up first.
As ever, Your's, the Luddite.
Old 13-06-2020, 08:48   #115

Miss Croston would not have allowed you to have a text book with you whilst you were taking an English exam.
Old 13-06-2020, 09:12   #116
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile on Spencer St View Post
Looks like Taddy’s not the only one on Hobgoblin tonight! 🍻
Not a drop passed my lips..truly.that is twice now I have done a double post while trying to edit.
Old 13-06-2020, 09:16   #117
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by taddy View Post
Ah well, I am afraid that I must bow down to the Knowledge of the Female of the species once again but then again I was only going off what the two ounces of grey matter between my ears were telling me.
I Should have cheated like yourself and looked it up first.
As ever, Your's, the Luddite.
Hey lad...that isn't cheating..it is called research.(in the name of education.....there is no shame in not knowing, but if you find you don't know something ...look it up. That's learning)
I was interested in how these coins could be broken....so looked it up.
Old 13-06-2020, 09:23   #118

Quote:
In your first post you said that you had never heard of a quarter farthing,Ah yes but you were are talking about quarter Fartings not Farthings and yes I am being, I think the word is pedantic but I will stand to be corrected as always.
.P.S. You cannot (quater) a long cross penny, only quarter it.
I must now make sure that I do not make "any" mistakes, Spelling or otherwise or I have no doubt that I shall receive a serious burst of flack.
Ha Ha. The Luddite.
Old 13-06-2020, 09:43   #119
Beacon of light

Yes...pedantic would be right......
I had never heard of these or the minted quarter(must make sure I spell that right) farthings or indeed the long cross pennies.
As far as watching out for errors....I disregard what are clearly typo errors....so you have no need to fear and I try not to mention grammar or other errors as I feel it is important for people to post without getting worried that they will have the bones of their post dissected and criticised....when it is the substance, the opinion that matters.
Less, DaveinGermany and taddy like this.
Old 13-06-2020, 09:45   #120
Beacon of light

Oh and reading that back makes it sound a bit prickly...it was not meant to be....but nuances are hard to convey in the world of Internet.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..