Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2011, 20:39   #61
Beacon of light

Re: The Ultimate Insult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
Perhaps, Bernard, in an absolutly non-political way, you'd like to justify that?
If you feel it's 'undemocratic' and 'corrupt', if you don't wish to see ' a United States of Europe' then I'm struggling to see why you would vote to stay in!
If you thought your party was undemocratic and corrupt would you be happy to stay in it? I think not, I hope not.
'Splendid isolation'! Separating ourselves from an undemocratic, corrupt organisation(your words) - why not?
The top brains behind the Union could see that eventualy financial mis-matches would eventually create the need for a fiscal and political union controlled by Brussels and being fair to them they never hid their target- a United States of Europe!
I think it was me(not Bernard...he was just quoting me) who said it was corrupt and undemocratic...which it is....if the electorate has no power of veto, no power to vote in the people who make the legislation....then it is undemocratic.
What is the point of having a Parliament in this country, supposedly making the laws and policies if we have to bow down to what Brussels thinks is right?

I can see no way of making it democratic, because the will is not there to do so......as for the corruption....huge organisations(which the EU undoubtedly is) are notoriously difficult to police when it comes to corruption.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 01-10-2011, 21:26   #62
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I think it was me(not Bernard...he was just quoting me) who said it was corrupt and undemocratic...
Sorry, Margaret, you're right.But Bernard didn't refute your statement, he just suggested that we change things we have no power to change. He didn't disagree with you!
Think why the EU was created- the fear of another European war- the Germans wanted to run Europe(one way or another, good for them), the French were terrified of the Germans (not without cause) and most of the others saw a gravy train they could jump on financed by us, the Germans and the French. A good basis for a trading group? Yes. For a United States of Europe? No.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 21:26   #63
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard Dawson View Post
I just think that abusing the benefit system is wrong, regardless who's doing it
I don't think you've quite grasped this, Bernard. When people abuse the benefit system in this country, if they're caught, they're prosecuted for it because it's illegal.

The latest piece of EU madness which prompted this thread is this - millions and millions of people will be able to come into this country and immediately claim employment support allowance, pension credit, income support and other benefits even if they've never worked here or paid any contributions. This will all be perfectly legal and above board and will not be considered by the authorities as "abusing the system".

The frightening thing is that there are many others at the top of all three major parties who are just as deluded as you.
Old 01-10-2011, 22:33   #64
Senior Member+

I agree steve people should not just be able too waltz into OUR country and claim whatever benefit without contribution, they should have to be at work here for at least five years if there are any places left to work that is. The eu is indeed corrupt and a money pit costing a fortune for all the benefits we get from it. Our European neighbours seem to pick out the best bits and ignore the bits they dont like, unlike us , we seem to be happy to be led by the short and curlys by brussels instead of standing up for ourselves, i for one am sick of it
Old 01-10-2011, 23:12   #65
God Member

Seeing as the Tories have the largest representation of UK MEP's in the European Parliment..(twice as many than UK labour MEP's) I wonder why they moan and groan from Westminster but do nothing about this sort of crap within the EU?.. this lot are the laziest Government in history.
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 09:26   #66
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
Seeing as the Tories have the largest representation of UK MEP's in the European Parliment..(twice as many than UK labour MEP's) I wonder why they moan and groan from Westminster but do nothing about this sort of crap within the EU?.. this lot are the laziest Government in history.
Mancie, is that your opinion or have you got some evidence to back up that statement?
I am not being fly here,(or trying to score points...) I am just asking a question because I am interested.
Old 02-10-2011, 09:33   #67
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Mancie, is that your opinion or have you got some evidence to back up that statement?
I am not being fly here,(or trying to score points...) I am just asking a question because I am interested.
The U.K. breakdown of British M.E.P.'s gorging themselves at the E.U. feast.

BBC NEWS | European Election 2009 | UK Results

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 09:34   #68
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Now you know why I ignore Mancie, he never brings anything sensible to the debate, he fails to see that the crap this country is in at the moment is down to the political system he so readily supported and endorsed for 13 years
Old 02-10-2011, 09:42   #69
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Now you know why I ignore Mancie, he never brings anything sensible to the debate, he fails to see that the crap this country is in at the moment is down to the political system he so readily supported and endorsed for 13 years
Er...what he said was correct.

See previous post.

Old 02-10-2011, 10:02   #70
Super Moderator

Let's face it, Bernard's been justifiably derided for his views, but the majority of politicos, Labour, Tory, and LibDems, agree with him. As for MEP's, they've got their snouts firmly in the trough, so they're not going to derail the Brussels gravy train (which shows just how ridiculous and fanciful Bernard's opinion that the EU can somehow be reformed really is).
Old 02-10-2011, 10:04   #71
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Er...what he said was correct.

See previous post.
No it wasn't it was one way bigotry as usual, what ever else he's said I would know I only see his quoted posts and have done for months
Old 02-10-2011, 10:17   #72
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
No it wasn't it was one way bigotry as usual, what ever else he's said I would know I only see his quoted posts and have done for months
Well let me be your eyes.

Mancie said that the majority of British M.E.P.' s are Conservative.

He was right.

They have twice as many M.E.P.'s living the high life in Brussels as their nearest rival parties, U.K.I.P., and Labour.

Old 02-10-2011, 10:23   #73
Beacon of light

I wasn't actually questioning the figures and breakdown of the MEP's.......what I was questioning was the statement that he made about 'this lot being the laziest government ever'.
I had no doubt that he had figures to prove which party had the highest complement of MEP's.
The evidence I wanted was to prove that this government are lazy......and the criteria on which he bases this claim.
A different kettle of fish altogether.
Old 02-10-2011, 10:24   #74
Beacon of light

Maybe it is my fault....perhaps my question was a bit ambiguous.
Old 02-10-2011, 10:31   #75
Give, give, give member

Quote:
I wasn't actually questioning the figures and breakdown of the MEP's.......what I was questioning was the statement that he made about 'this lot being the laziest government ever'.
I had no doubt that he had figures to prove which party had the highest complement of MEP's.
The evidence I wanted was to prove that this government are lazy......and the criteria on which he bases this claim.
A different kettle of fish altogether.
Sorry, can't find a laziness league table.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..