Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2011, 10:42   #76
Resting in Peace

Re: The Ultimate Insult

There comes a time when you have to ask yourself.

How many Slovakian and Romanian goat herders do we really need.

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 02-10-2011, 10:43   #77
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Well let me be your eyes.

Mancie said that the majority of British M.E.P.' s are Conservative.

He was right.

They have twice as many M.E.P.'s living the high life in Brussels as their nearest rival parties, U.K.I.P., and Labour.
Yes but he then went on to again have a dig at HMG as usual
Old 02-10-2011, 10:53   #78
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Yes but he then went on to again have a dig at HMG as usual
Well since we've had a coalition government for sixteen months, and we're still being shafted by the E.U., perhaps he has a point about the government's lack of action.

Cameron was interviewed this morning on the B.B.C., saying he supports continuing membership of the E.U.

The British people overwhelmingly don't.

Each successive government are too afraid to let the people have a referendum, on what's changed from a trade alliance, which they voted for, to what by stealth it's become today, a governing of Britain from Brussels.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 11:30   #79
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post

The British people overwhelmingly don't.
Again this just demonstates the arrogance of politicians. They do not listen to the concerns of the electorate....the ones who are paying them to do a job.
I guess they reckon if they stay in the EU it will mean a lot less work for them(getting out will be harder than trying to get toothpaste back into the tube)....and if Brussels makes the rules........do we really need any MP's.

According to a newspaper this morning, Mp's are going to vote on whether to let the public have a referendum on our continuing membership of the EU.......but, and it is a big but, the results will not be legally binding on the government. So I feel that it is just a ploy to placate those of us who feel that the EU is a Frankenstein monster that will eventually do what two world wars could not.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 11:38   #80
Resting in Peace

The bottom line is, its not that simple just to say right we're kicking the European Union into touch, far from it, I recon if it was decided that we were to pull out it would take about 20 years to totally complete the exercise, its not just a case oh well pull out next Wednesday
Old 02-10-2011, 11:56   #81
Beacon of light

John, if it took twenty years to leave at least we would not be giving Brussels any more sovereignty over our country.

Just because something is difficult it should not mean that you don't contemplate doing it......especially if the majority of the people in this country feel it is right...which won't ever be known unless we get the chance to give our views.

I have never felt any different about the EU. In 1975 I voted NO. I didn't think it was a good idea then.......I felt we were being bamboozled......that was my gut instinct.

I don't feel that it is just that faceless people in Brussels make rules that affect all parts of our lives.........and we can do burger all about it.
I don't want people who I have not elected or had any part in the election of, making rules for me......because it means we have no right of redress.
Our own politicians(useless bunch of monkeys - with a very few exceptions) have tried to ignore the growing concerns.....because any action to rectify the situation was felt to be fraught with difficulty and the longer it has gone on the worse it has become.

It really needs definitive action of someone who is brave........I don't reckon any of the incumbents fit that description....do you?
Old 02-10-2011, 13:49   #82
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I have never felt any different about the EU. In 1975 I voted NO. I didn't think it was a good idea then.......I felt we were being bamboozled......that was my gut instinct.
I didn't vote for it either. The frogs have never forgiven us for saving their arses in two world wars.
De Gaule showed his true colours in 1945. Thats what comes of helping people.
And jerry for giving them a right shelacking, again in two world wars.
My thoughts at the time were they can't lick us at feighting, but they will screw us in the boardroom.
Retlaw.

Last edited by Neil; 03-10-2011 at 01:56. Reason: fix quote
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 18:00   #83
Super Moderator

Yet another reason to leave...

Express.co.uk - Home of the Daily and Sunday Express | UK News :: Ł42m child benefit sent abroad

...and still Cameron refuses to give us a referendum. Obviously, he's far more concerned about placating his masters in Brussels, than he is about the wishes of the British people.
Old 02-10-2011, 18:04   #84
Beacon of light

Yes, this money is going towards helping growth in another country......boosting their economy instead of ours.
Old 02-10-2011, 18:06   #85
Beacon of light

Oh yes, and it should be noted that if the parent who is claiming the money for children back in the home country, once that parent returns to their homeland the benefit doesn't stop........oh dear No....it is continued to be paid. A travesty.
Old 02-10-2011, 18:07   #86
Beacon of light

I don't think I should participate in this thread any more...it is doing my blood pressure no damn good at all!
Old 02-10-2011, 19:37   #87
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I don't think I should participate in this thread any more...it is doing my blood pressure no damn good at all!
Margaret -I am as incredulous as you at all this siphoning off of tax-payers money out of the UK -had absolutely no idea - but please don't let it make you ill...

Looks like the "Ministry of Silly Walks" has been allowed to creep in and take over. Unbelievable

"A spokesman for HM Revenue & Customs said: “Child benefit payments are in line with EU rules which have been in force for more than 30 years."
So how much has gone out over the years?

“We do not pay child benefit for children living in another EU member state until we are sure the claim is legitimate.”

Have they popping over to Poland or wherever to check they haven't been bumping up the number of offspring on the sly?

The spokesman added that most of the *payments are made directly into bank accounts in *foreign countries.
That's very nice of them -at least they don't have the hassle of making money transfers...

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 19:47   #88
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
“We do not pay child benefit for children living in another EU member state until we are sure the claim is legitimate.”

i dont know the figures but it wasnt too long ago it was made public that quite a lot of immigrants were/are claiming for children abroad that dont even exist

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 20:02   #89
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
i dont know the figures but it wasnt too long ago it was made public that quite a lot of immigrants were/are claiming for children abroad that dont even exist
I can believe it -if people can fiddle benefits here it must be much easier at thousands of KM distance. A quick back-hander in the local town hall to get a certificate showing the number of family members and their DOB....

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 20:47   #90
Beacon of light

Oh, it won't make me ill...I don't actually have a problem with my blood pressure...well not that I know of anyway. I just get really angry that people who should not be able to take money from our pockets, will be allowed to do so with ease, if the EU has its way.

Politicians have taken the line of least resistance in respect of benefits as well as the EU.
It is time there was a radical overhaul of both.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..