Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2011, 10:22   #106
Give, give, give member

Re: The Ultimate Insult

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
In 75 I vote for staying in, but its a different beast now its even different from the the days of Wilson and Thatcher, Thatcher fought tooth and nail to make sure GB plc got the best out of the deal, since then we've been sold down the river, if there was a referendum today, having seen whats gone on over the last few years I would, without doubt vote to come out. A European Common Market yes, a Federal States of Europe no way
Thanks for answering.

It's interesting, how someone who voted back in the seventies, has changed their view, as the Common Market/E.E.C./E.U. has changed by stealth into something totally different from it's original concept.

Sadly I didn't get a vote back then.

Being 10.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 03-10-2011, 12:55   #107
God Member

Quote:
In 75 I vote for staying in, but its a different beast now its even different from the the days of Wilson and Thatcher, Thatcher fought tooth and nail to make sure GB plc got the best out of the deal, since then we've been sold down the river, if there was a referendum today, having seen whats gone on over the last few years I would, without doubt vote to come out. A European Common Market yes, a Federal States of Europe no way
My memories of politics back then seem to be pretty much mixed up with Mike Yarwood's fantastic impersonations of the characters of the time Wilson, Teddy Heath etc. but then i was only 11.
We had been travelling in Europe since I was 7 though (to Greece, Spain and France) and i remember there being a feeling of excitement at the thought of all these countries getting together and sharing their culture etc. - it was all new and different, as mass tourism was just getting underway and people were seeing how life was in other places. I think "Optimism" probably sums it up -through my eyes then, you understand. A whole new world on the doorstep to be discovered and shared.
I suppose it was just the illusion of the "grass being greener" - at the end of the day, in all walks of life, there will always be those who are out to make a profit at the expense of everyone else...
Mind you it would be shame to thwart Tony B's dream of becoming the first European President

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 13:32   #108
Beacon of light

Back in those days it was not the political entity it is now....it was a number of countries who thought that banding together would encourage trade between those countries.
It was a multi-national market place.........it is no longer that.....Ted Heath gave away our fishing rights to get us in.......if I remember rightly General De Gaulle didn't actually want us in their neat little trading club....and to be honest, my feeling was 'well, if they don't want us, then I don't want to be in it'........I was also very sceptical about the benefits to the UK.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 18:06   #109
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Thanks for answering.

It's interesting, how someone who voted back in the seventies, has changed their view, as the Common Market/E.E.C./E.U. has changed by stealth into something totally different from it's original concept.

Sadly I didn't get a vote back then.

Being 10.

I have to say I've only changed my mined quite recently Rindi, but when we are being asked to help bail out country's in the Euro zone, when we had more sense than to join it, Well, its just crazy
Old 03-10-2011, 21:08   #110
Give, give, give member

Quote:
I have to say I've only changed my mined quite recently Rindi, but when we are being asked to help bail out country's in the Euro zone, when we had more sense than to join it, Well, its just crazy

Although crazily not allowed a ballot paper at the time, being ten years old, I did lead the Vote No campaign as Head Boy, whilst at Moor End.

What an economic trade alliance has been allowed to morph into today, issuing edicts about every aspect of our lives, outranking our own British government, is certainly NOT what people voted for.

If we aren't given a say about what's happened, and our future destiny, it will be too late, and this once great country will be in grave danger of being changed for ever, and it certainly won't be for the better.

'If' the people decided we no longer wanted E.U. membership, then it's surely better to have twenty or so years to disentangle ourselves from it. Rather than an eternity of this ever worsening bureaucratic madness, of us being governed from Brussels.

Old 04-10-2011, 09:14   #111
Resting in Peace

Ya Rindi I heard you were a very forward thinking child in your younger years, wonder what happened
Old 04-10-2011, 23:51   #112
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Well Thank you for taking the time to explain what you mean. It makes more sense now.
I'm not sure how the MEP system works...but you can't really expect MEP's to take action to come out of the EU.........that is like asking Turkeys to vote for Christmas.
The EU is a vast gravy train......and the MEP's are dipping their bread in it!

As for HMG over here........I am not being apologist, but they have had a lot on their plate to deal with.......and I am pretty sure that DC and NC don't really see eye to eye on lots of things so internal wrangling take up time and energy.

Maybe they just moan and whinge because they don't know what to do to get us out of the carp(intended). Like the engineers rule 'When you don't know what to do.....walk fast and look worried'.
Yet again I did not make it clear.. in the real world I would not expect any MEP's to vote for (or propose) any removal of the UK from the EU.. but seeing as they are by far in the strongest position from the UK to oppose some of the rulings the EU Parliment come up with I find it strange that they just buckle under and blame the last Government.. It all gets abit boring.....If the Tories really mean business then they should push for reform within the EU instead of whinging.
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 06:15   #113
Beacon of light

In the great scheme of things, do you think the number of MEP's the UK has, can really influence the vast political beast that the EU has become????????

I don't think they can and I think it is down to the futility of the situation(coupled with a lack of will), that and the fact that making waves in Brussels would not endear them to the organisation....and before y ou tell me that they aren't there to be popular.......well, I guess I know that, but they don't want to be the most unpopular boy in the schoolyard.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 07:04   #114
Give, give, give member

Latest polls, regarding the U.K. and the E.U,

Second Poll Shows UK Wants Out of EU - Guy Fawkes' blog

European Union Pollwatch - Opinion Polls. Leaving the EU is supported by a majority of British People

Old 05-10-2011, 09:18   #115
Resting in Peace

As I've said before I have recently changed my views on Europe, looks like quite a few more have too

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..