Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-09-2011, 08:53   #1
Super Moderator

The Ultimate Insult

Brussels threatens to sue Britain to let in 'benefit tourists' - Telegraph

I don't usually leave links to news stories with very little comment, C'monStanley-style, but this has left me speechless with rage.

I would like the EU supporters on here to explain how THIS is justified.
Old 30-09-2011, 09:16   #2
Resting in Peace

Re: The Ultimate Insult

Ya me as well Wyn, you can just see it can't you, come on peeps throw your things in a suitcase, Athens ain't the place to be anymore lets set of to good old London the pavements are paved with gold and the benefits are far better too
Old 30-09-2011, 09:49   #3
Give, give, give member

For gawd sake let the people have their say, via a referendum.

This is NOT what people signed up for, when they voted Britain join the Common Market, which was sold as an economic union.

All political parties are too afraid of what the result would be.

Though I don't know why.

Britain managed to be a major player on the world stage for centuries, as an independent entity, not tied to anyone else.

Stories such as the one linked in this thread make 99.99% of the population of this country sick.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2011, 10:09   #4
Beacon of light

It isn't justified...nor is it justifiable.
It is like many of the inequalites that have been thrust on us by Brussels.
How can it be right that there are known terrorists walking among us who cannot be deported because their lives would be in danger if they were sent back????.......their life matters,(more than ours it seems)despite the fact that they were quite happy to be party to an act of terrorism that would lead many of us to lose our lives.
They hate our way of life, but are happy for us to pay for them to live here.

Surely one person should not have priority over the many....what about our human right to be safe in our own home towns.

I hate the way we were bamboozled into the EU....or Common Market as it was called then.
I am NOT european, never have been, never will be........I am English(British if you must).
We are separated from Europe by a stretch of water........so how can we be lumped in with Europe.
If we got out of it tomorrow, it would not be one minute too soon for me.
Rant over(yes, the story made the red mist descend for me too....maybe it is a generational thing)
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2011, 11:06   #5
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

I think the solution is could be a simple one. Any benefits paid out by the UK to people from the EU not born here should be claimed back from the birth country of the claimant.

This should work the other way as well so UK born people claiming benefits in France should be claimed back from the UK by France.
Old 30-09-2011, 12:07   #6
Beacon of light

and to add to that Neil they should be paid at the rate that the claimant would get in their own country.
Perhaps this would deter people from coming here to live, without the intention of finding work.
Anyway I think the European Commission is going to be challenged on this directive.
I'm not saying we will win, but at least a challenge is being mounted.

It would be bad in times of economic stability, but in the current situation it is just plain crazy to expect people to pay more tax in order to support 'benefit tourists'.
Old 30-09-2011, 12:24   #7
God Member

Read the article ... then looked at the calendar to make sure it wasn't April 1. It's unbelievable. Seems like referendum time to me ... but, it's none of my business; so, I'll follow the thread and make no more comment. I will, however, take my morning coffee onto my front porch, look at the Maple Leaf on my flagpole; and thank my lucky stars.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2011, 12:33   #8
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
I will, however, take my morning coffee onto my front porch, look at the Maple Leaf on my flagpole; and thank my lucky stars.
Canada used to have a perfectly decent flag up until 1965. It had the Union flag contained within the top left hand corner. Then it changed to the full maple leaf. That was done, was it not, to make the frogs happy? You got shafted then; we're getting shafted now.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2011, 13:20   #9
God Member

Workers from the original member states of the EU have the right to reside in the UK and can apply for income-based Jobseekers allowance on passing the habitual residence test and other elligibility restrictions-this usually takes between 1-3 months.

A8 members (the states which joined in 2004) do not have the right to the same benefits until they have been working for 12 consecutive months in the UK.

The 2003 Treaty of Accession allowed EU member states to impose restrictions on the free movement of labour from the A8 states for a maximum of 7 years from May 1st 2004. These measures could only be maintained after 2009 if there were proven to be serious disturbances (or threat thereof) to the UK labour market ie the current recession.
(Extracted from Homeoffice website.)

The EU is obviously pressing for the restrictions on the A8 states to be lifted. It can't be right though for the UK to be expected to act as a safety valve for the rest of Europe in this way. The economic conditions across Europe are such that a great many are out of work -consider for example -here in Italy, a young person searching for their first job has no right to any government support or jobseekers allowance -their family is obliged to maintain them fully. Workers who lose their jobs before 24 consecutive months of work also have no right to assistance if they become unemployed.
This is just one example -other countries are in an even worse position. This is just a illustration of why the UK must seem like the promised land...
The "get out of jail free card" of the 2003 Treaty is the fact that there is currently a double dip recession in act in the UK, presumably the present government will use this in the defence of the current regulations. However ,it must not be forgotten that the Labour government of 2003 DID accept the original treaty and unless the country has a Referendum and decides to leave the EU, the freedom of movement for A8 members will have to come into act at some time -probably in the not to distant future....

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2011, 13:35   #10
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
Canada used to have a perfectly decent flag up until 1965. It had the Union flag contained within the top left hand corner. Then it changed to the full maple leaf. That was done, was it not, to make the frogs happy? You got shafted then; we're getting shafted now.

First Nations.gif

Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2011, 14:13   #11
Beacon of light

Britain isn't waving.........it is drowning!
Old 30-09-2011, 17:27   #12
Super Moderator

If the legal action is won by the commission, Britain will have to pay means-tested, residence-based benefits – employment support allowance, pension credit, income support – to people when they arrive, even if they have never worked here or paid any contributions and regardless of whether they have any previous link with the UK.

Can you imagine what might happen if some of the more impoverished countries like Albania are allowed into the EU?

...and not one word from the pro-EUers on here! Too ashamed to post, are you?

Last edited by Wynonie Harris; 30-09-2011 at 17:30.
Wynonie Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2011, 17:48   #13
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
If the legal action is won by the commission, Britain will have to pay means-tested, residence-based benefits – employment support allowance, pension credit, income support – to people when they arrive, even if they have never worked here or paid any contributions and regardless of whether they have any previous link with the UK.

Can you imagine what might happen if some of the more impoverished countries like Albania are allowed into the EU?

Thats funny thought I'd posted earlier in the thread, must take davemac's advise and go and lie down in a dark room
Old 30-09-2011, 17:56   #14
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Ya me as well Wyn, you can just see it can't you, come on peeps throw your things in a suitcase, Athens ain't the place to be anymore lets set of to good old London the pavements are paved with gold and the benefits are far better too
Whaaat? Are you seriously telling me that's a PRO-EU view? I'd hate to see you when you're anti-something!
Old 30-09-2011, 18:03   #15
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post

Nevermind proposed future members, such as Turkey, and it's seventy five million inhabitants. Even though the majority of the country's not even in Europe, but Asia!

This is total madness.

Let the people decide who governs our country.

Not one single person voted that our laws should be dictated to us from Europe.

Britain voted to enter into an economic union.

This is not it!

Please, at least one government have the courage, and give the people their chance to have their say on whether they want continuing membership of the United States of Europe.

It'll soon be too late, and the structure of what made Britain a great democratic country, will be irreversibly damaged beyond repair, for ever.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..