Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Should public money fund community art projects?
Yes, it should. I value them. 3 11.54%
No, it shouldn't. I don't see their value. 23 88.46%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-10-2010, 09:42   #166
Give, give, give member

Re: The value of public funded art

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
The only cost is the dance teacher who has devised the dances and then taught specific groups of people.
So Accy Webbers, and anyone else, won't be taking part?

I thought the whole point of flash mob dancing was that they were organised virally, and a whole mob of people just turned up, at a specific time and place.

Cost to tax payer...nowt.

It's all sounding a little contrived, as a mob flash dance.

Not a criticism, just an observation.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 29-10-2010, 10:04   #167
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post

A flash mob (or flashmob) is a large group of people who assemble suddenly in a public place, perform an unusual and pointless act for a brief time, then disperse The term flash mob is generally applied only to gatherings organized via telecommunications, social media or viral email. The term is generally not applied to events organised by public relation firms, protests, and publicity stunts.
Flash mob - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 29-10-2010, 10:38   #168
God Member

Accy webbers are welcome to join in, as is anyone else. We're sending the film of the dance steps out in the next few days so that anyone else can learn it.

We've just made a point of making sure that there is a big enough group already in existence who know the dance. The last thing I would want is for no one to turn up and for everyone to think it was a waste of money.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2010, 10:38   #169
Resting in Peace

Quote:

I thought the whole point of flash mob dancing was that they were organised virally, and a whole mob of people just turned up, at a specific time and place.

Not a criticism, just an observation.

Your thinking of organising a MOB from Accy Web then are you G
Old 29-10-2010, 10:38   #170
Give, give, give member

Quote:

It seems we can all take part, even those untrained by the dance teacher.

'On 20th November, between 1pm and 2pm, there will be a Flash Mob in Accrington Town Centre. Four dances will happen during the hour. Assemble on Broadway in Accrington to watch and join in.
This is phase 3 of project called Liberating Empty Terrain which aims to bring people back into Accrington Town Centre. Phase 1 and 2 included Mapping Accy, Animating Accy and Crotcheting Accy.
This project is co-funded by Hyndburn Borough Council and the Arts Council via Creativity Works and is part of a Pennine Lancashire Initiative to reinvigorate town centres.'
Flashmob Dancing Accy | Flashmob.co.uk

Though I stand by by observation, that there is usually no costs to the public purse for flash mobs. Certainly when it was new, and could have been classed as cutting edge.

Is it 'art'?

Usually when the advertising boys have picked up on it, to commercially push products, the answer is usually no.

Old 29-10-2010, 10:42   #171
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Accy webbers are welcome to join in, as is anyone else. We're sending the film of the dance steps out in the next few days so that anyone else can learn it.

We've just made a point of making sure that there is a big enough group already in existence who know the dance. The last thing I would want is for no one to turn up and for everyone to think it was a waste of money.
Surely nobody would do that!!! would they Gayle
Old 29-10-2010, 10:43   #172
Give, give, give member

Quote:
The last thing I would want is for no one to turn up and for everyone to think it was a waste of money.
Talking of which, how much have H.B.C. stumped up, of council tax payers' money, for the events?

It's such a help when working out the value of 'art', for the poor tax payer.

'This project is co-funded by Hyndburn Borough Council and the Arts Council via Creativity Works and is part of a Pennine Lancashire Initiative to reinvigorate town centres.'
Flashmob Dancing Accy | Flashmob.co.uk

Old 29-10-2010, 10:55   #173
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Your thinking of organising a MOB from Accy Web then are you G
Maybe, but this mob would have a lynch, for all those who use tax payers' money to fund 'community art'.

Old 29-10-2010, 10:56   #174
God Member

Technically, it's not funded by HBC, it's funded from money that the government gave to HBC purely for entertainment/arts/events and activities designed to bring people into the town centre.

The government (pre coalition) gave all the deprived boroughs councils in England money for this purpose. I think the same pot of money was used for Aldo Zilli.

I asked if some could be ringfenced for specific Arts projects (note: Arts not just Art). HBC ring fenced £10k for it.

Working with the other Arts Development officers in Pennine Lancashire we then raised a further £100k from the Arts Council for 100s of other projects - this is why I kept saying that it all needed to be put into context. I must stress that I'm not taking credit for all the fund raising as the majority of it was done by the Arts Development team in Burnley.

All of this info can be found on Creativity Works |

Old 29-10-2010, 10:58   #175
Beacon of light

I don't get it. How does this reinvigorate our town?
It is just a gimmicky thing that will have no long lasting impact or effect...and the people who have been drafted in to perform, will probably rush off afterwards never to be sen in the town again.

Note to self. Avoid Broadway on the 20th of November.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2010, 10:58   #176
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Technically, it's not funded by HBC, it's funded from money that the government gave to HBC purely for entertainment/arts/events and activities designed to bring people into the town centre.

The government (pre coalition) gave all the deprived boroughs councils in England money for this purpose. I think the same pot of money was used for Aldo Zilli.

I asked if some could be ringfenced for specific Arts projects (note: Arts not just Art). HBC ring fenced £10k for it.

Working with the other Arts Development officers in Pennine Lancashire we then raised a further £100k from the Arts Council for 100s of other projects - this is why I kept saying that it all needed to be put into context. I must stress that I'm not taking credit for all the fund raising as the majority of it was done by the Arts Development team in Burnley.

All of this info can be found on Creativity Works |
So, the cost for staging the flash mob event is...?

Old 29-10-2010, 11:02   #177
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I don't get it. How does this reinvigorate our town?
It is just a gimmicky thing that will have no long lasting impact or effect...and the people who have been drafted in to perform, will probably rush off afterwards never to be sen in the town again.

No one has been 'drafted' in to perform for it.

It is a local dance teacher and people from local community groups who are learning the dances.

It is a bit gimmicky, I will accept that but it will have a lasting effect as the film will be sent worldwide with all the flash mob websites around the world.

It is just rude to ask people to avoid it - the whole point is to get people down to watch it.

Old 29-10-2010, 11:12   #178
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Still to come in Accrington - a Flash Mob Dance and a Victorian Swimming Gala (on Broadway!!!).
When's the Victorian Swimming Gala happening?

Hopefully not in the bitter winter months.

There's nothing worse than a cold, wet, muff.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BleakHouse..jpg (141.8 KB, 4 views)

Old 29-10-2010, 11:41   #179
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post

Quote:

It is just rude to ask people to avoid it - the whole point is to get people down to watch it.
Where has anyone asked people to avoid it?

Margaret just made a note for herself, just as I have made a similar note, as no doubt will many, many others.

Less changes his mind and starts training with benipete for an impromptu Flashmob all of his own, No don't worry Gayle we won't need funding, but it is YOUR round!
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2010, 13:23   #180
Beacon of light

Quote:
No one has been 'drafted' in to perform for it.

It is a local dance teacher and people from local community groups who are learning the dances.

It is a bit gimmicky, I will accept that but it will have a lasting effect as the film will be sent worldwide with all the flash mob websites around the world.

Gayle, I did not suggest for other people to avoid it....it was a note to myself to avoid it.
Sending this gimmicky stuff around the world on other flash mob sites strikes me as being just a bit on the tacky side.

Personally I am embarrased to think that we are stooping to such idiotic measures to get people to come into our town.

We have far better resources to come and see......and in my opinion(which counts for very little, I know)....Broadway is grotty, down at heel and not something I would want broadcast around the world.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..