Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Should public money fund community art projects?
Yes, it should. I value them. 3 11.54%
No, it shouldn't. I don't see their value. 23 88.46%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-10-2010, 14:08   #256
Resting in Peace

Re: The value of public funded art

A lot of bare faced cheek Bob, hell that's one thing there is in abundance in Hyndburn
Old 30-10-2010, 14:25   #257
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob View Post
Barrie Yates on another thread, has reminded me of the approach of Remembrance Day. We go on and on about how much we respect the sacrifice of the pals and our other war dead but what do we really do to preserve the memory of their sacrifice, apart from gradually dwindling processions once a year? With our history we should be leading the nation on Remembrance Day and the ceremony in Whitehall should be a side show by comparison.

All these facets of our collective history can and must be used to help the town.
Wow! Please Bob don't pass me the White feather, to paraphrase a famous quote, "ask not what Hyndburn Council can do for you, ask what you can do for Hynburn Council".
WHERE DO I SIGN?
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2010, 14:53   #258
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Wow! Please Bob don't pass me the White feather, to paraphrase a famous quote, "ask not what Hyndburn Council can do for you, ask what you can do for Hynburn Council".
WHERE DO I SIGN?
I'll send Mossy round in the morning err um Afternoon
Old 30-10-2010, 14:57   #259
Resting in Peace

Hyndburn does have the food festival run by Hyndburn Leisure, which does attract 100's of visitors.

As to the Firework Competition in Blackpool ... you have to remember this coincides with the Illuminations and probably 5 displays over the month. I don't think that if it were standing alone at a different time of year would have the same interest, except with locals nipping down to the Central Pier to view. It does, also, start around 7.30 > 8.30 p.m. and persuading market stall holders to stay open until after this time could be extremely difficult.. although some shops do remain open a little later for our Christmas lights ceremony.

Suppose, like the Romans, we could always build an arena and throw a few councillors to the lions ... that would attract...
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2010, 15:05   #260
God Member

Have a butchers at this....!

Hebden Bridge Arts Festival

If they can do that, what couldn't we do??
Old 30-10-2010, 15:11   #261
God Member

And then there is this....

salisbury international arts festival Home

Salisbury, the city, has a population of 50,000. (if you include the surrounding areas that rises to 115,000)
Old 30-10-2010, 15:22   #262
Resting in Peace

I do agree with you about Hebden Bridge .. have visited there myself in the last two months, and this little town is always heaving, but due to its quaintness and a sort of arts/crafts reputation they have built up, and the centre for walkers and hikers. It is a tourist town to begin with and suspect this is their main income.

I was rather impressed by a little cafe by the canal that also had Pottery Painting classes in there ... was lovely to see people painting pottery amongst the diners.
Old 30-10-2010, 15:56   #263
Resting in Peace

I would like to express my opinion on other points raised in this thread, but my little brain can only deal with one thing at a time.

Yes, I do believe in the Government funding arts .. have to look at the well-being of all aspects of our citizens, and suspect the budget is small compared with other services. Art is subjective and will always prompt criticism from many quarters ... but think there is a wide variation to suit all tastes. We have to have a little bit of colour in our life too.

I also don't object to talented people receiving free art/dancing/drama lessons either. Technics have to be learnt no matter what talent you possess. Some people discover their talent later in life and not obtainable to them through school/college.

You A-B hinted that this money should be spent more on encouraging manufacturing industries, and Garinda, a poor little lass with some terrible illness. That, I find, is rather unfair and below the belt.

I am sure all is being done by the council to invite entrepeneurs to our town.. but where would they shop ? Yes, the supermarkets .. would still need something to attract them to the centre.

As to Garinda's point, again I feel that all is being done for this little girl to help her with her illness .. but suspect medical science has come to a standstill on this one and no matter what monies was offered to help wouldn't have any effect.

I suspect that both you and Garinda both attended University to gain your degrees in Art at a time when grants were issued and not loans, so you, yourself, was taught your knowledge of painting on the backs of us tax payers.
Old 30-10-2010, 16:09   #264
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Incoming !!!
DaveinGermany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2010, 16:22   #265
God Member

Katex:"I suspect that both you and Garinda both attended University to gain your degrees in Art at a time when grants were issued and not loans, so you, yourself, was taught your knowledge of painting on the backs of us tax payers."

You are correct in your suspicions, both Garinda and myself did benefit from state subsidised education and we are both very grateful for the opportunity.
But our parents all paid tax and rates, I also worked and paid tax for eight years before going back into full time education, but that was how it was done then. I can't speak for Garinda, but I received a total grant of £1500 for the whole three years.
Old 30-10-2010, 16:53   #266
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
I would like to express my opinion on other points raised in this thread, but my little brain can only deal with one thing at a time.

Yes, I do believe in the Government funding arts .. have to look at the well-being of all aspects of our citizens, and suspect the budget is small compared with other services. Art is subjective and will always prompt criticism from many quarters ... but think there is a wide variation to suit all tastes. We have to have a little bit of colour in our life too.

I also don't object to talented people receiving free art/dancing/drama lessons either. Technics have to be learnt no matter what talent you possess. Some people discover their talent later in life and not obtainable to them through school/college.

You A-B hinted that this money should be spent more on encouraging manufacturing industries, and Garinda, a poor little lass with some terrible illness. That, I find, is rather unfair and below the belt.

I am sure all is being done by the council to invite entrepeneurs to our town.. but where would they shop ? Yes, the supermarkets .. would still need something to attract them to the centre.

As to Garinda's point, again I feel that all is being done for this little girl to help her with her illness .. but suspect medical science has come to a standstill on this one and no matter what monies was offered to help wouldn't have any effect.

I suspect that both you and Garinda both attended University to gain your degrees in Art at a time when grants were issued and not loans, so you, yourself, was taught your knowledge of painting on the backs of us tax payers.
The family of the 'little lass' has been told there are no funds available for a treatment in this country. This will probably result in her death, in a few, short years.

What you 'feel' is being done in this particular case, isn't. Fact.

There is a treatment available, too expensive to fund here, and only available in the U.S.

The merits aside, and where the funding comes from for community art projects, living in a society that denies a child life saving treatment, when medical science has devloped one, but it isn't available due to lack of funds, sickens, and DISGUSTS me.

This thead has funds in the title.

How, and where those funds, raised through taxation, are spent in this country, is open for discussion. Though throughout the ages, historically the art forms that have been most critically acclaimed, have resulted under private patronage, rather than state funding.

Anyone idea how much funding the swimmers are being paid, for the Victorian Swimming Gala?

Talking of art, and money.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2010, 17:01   #267
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob View Post
Katex:"I suspect that both you and Garinda both attended University to gain your degrees in Art at a time when grants were issued and not loans, so you, yourself, was taught your knowledge of painting on the backs of us tax payers."

You are correct in your suspicions, both Garinda and myself did benefit from state subsidised education and we are both very grateful for the opportunity.
But our parents all paid tax and rates, I also worked and paid tax for eight years before going back into full time education, but that was how it was done then. I can't speak for Garinda, but I received a total grant of £1500 for the whole three years.
One of my inital comments was that we do have a state funded art education system, for those with talent to hone their skills.

After leaving that ivory tower, how long should the state fund an artist, if no one else is prepared to pay for whatever it is they are producing?

A supporter on here called it a 'cushion'.

How long should the tax payer fund them sitting on that cushion, before they get off their backside, and seek a job doing something that someone is prepared to pay for?

Five? Ten years? A life time?

Old 30-10-2010, 17:24   #268
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Five? Ten years? A life time?

How long can we support useless projects before it's too late to give this much needed money for apprenticeships in proper jobs?

Do we just do this because it costs less than making real jobs?

I think we do!
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2010, 17:27   #269
Resting in Peace

I still think it unfair to say that this money could be spent better on this and that. It has been said that the Market Hall should have been left as it was .... well, yes, cold, dark and miserable.

Ok ... firstly, the Flash Mob. Cost £1,000.

It has given 200 people, of all ages ...suspect a lot of younger people though, certainly many teenagers coming through the Arts Centre door one night I was there, the opportunity to learn a little about the art of dance movements and form a great camaraderie and possibly lead on this initial interest to better things within the world of dance. That is one good reason for this project.

It is fun and bringing it into the town centre can only brighten up the lives of many shoppers if only for a short while and will put a smile on their faces. Happy people will shop better. The centre has to be promoted as a fun place to be initially.

I just hope that eventually a new state of the art bus station will be built to welcome any visitors, and that Peel Street can be turned into a lovely square where events can be held regularly ... takes time to build up what you all think we have lost. We didn't lose anything .... just the addition of Supermarkets. Would be great to think that after shoppers have filled up their boots with Tesco branded goods, then they may just think "Oh, there is a theatre company enacting Victorian swimming, let's just pop down and see it" Maybe, they will spend the few extra bob there that they have left over.

Next ....
Old 30-10-2010, 17:34   #270
Give, give, give member

It isn't 'unfair' in my opinion, to question where our taxes are spent in society, and on what.

As for 'happy people shop better'.

I think people 'shop better' when they've still got some spare money left in their purse, after paying bills...and taxes.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..