Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Should public money fund community art projects?
Yes, it should. I value them. 3 11.54%
No, it shouldn't. I don't see their value. 23 88.46%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-10-2010, 18:54   #76
Resting in Peace

Re: The value of public funded art

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Community art projects bring all sorts of people together.

Apparently.

Um so they say
Old 22-10-2010, 22:54   #77
Give, give, give member

Quote:
'Pops'?

You mean what I thought of it critically?

Not much, as posted elsewhere. I never mentioned the cost of the thing, in earlier posts, both remaining and vanished.

I just think the film's a bit introspective, and not very vital.

Was it soley funded by the Lotto?

What were the costs of all three projects, and where did the funding come from, now you've brought it up?
Were the three recent local projects funded soley by the Lotto?

If not, where were the additional funds from, and what were the costings?

Personally I didn't originally care, but since we now have a thread about the value of public funded art, it will make it easier for us, Joe Public, to evaluate the worth.

We'll wait, patiently.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2010, 15:43   #78
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
Are cake makers, t-shirt printers, suit sellers etc worthwhile jobs?
'Cake makers' -
Well as Master Bun the baker's son (and grandson, and brother), even though it's hard work, you can earn an honest crust. As well as employing hundreds of people, in the sixty five years my family's been making cakes in the area.

'T-shirt printers' -
Can't really comment. Though I did do some hand painted shirts for Kevin Horkin's Accrington boutique in the eighties, which I believe sold quite well.

'Suit sellers' -
Again, can't really comment. Even though an article in the Lancashire Telegraph wrongly printed a report that I was creative director for a suit company in Saville Row. It was actually a shirt company in Jermyn Street I worked for, as well as various other commercial concerns, who employed me as a consultant. Still you can't always believe what you read.

I, and many others, still look forward to finding out the costs of these community art projects, and who funded them. Which will let us, the general public, try and evaluate the value of this sort of art, and if we then consider them to be worthwhile.

Old 24-10-2010, 16:40   #79
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Good to see from the above post solidarity for the common, (though essential worker), I have a feeling that she may have added me to her list of useless jobs if she knew my trade.
It is Electronics Engineer Gayle in case you wish to add to your earlier Faux Pas, no more nor any less of importance to life than your own job, (we all do them to put bread on the table), however I consider the guy that sweeps the road to be as good if not better than me, he is prepared to turn up and clear the mess you and your 'public' leave behind you.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2010, 07:15   #80
Give, give, give member

Quote:

Personally I didn't originally care, but since we now have a thread about the value of public funded art, it will make it easier for us, Joe Public, to evaluate the worth.

We'll wait, patiently.
Perhaps this sort of 'art' is priceless?

Priceless.

Old 26-10-2010, 09:22   #81
Resting in Peace

BBC News - Former MPs 'beheaded' by artist for Body Politic show
Now this is art I can subscribe too
Old 26-10-2010, 11:24   #82
God Member

Quote:

We'll wait, patiently.
I have been away so thank you for being patient.

I have been visiting some publicly funded art galleries which wouldn't exist if they weren't funded by the government. I suspect that if there was a move to charge an entrance fee at the Haworth there would be outcry.

This project was funded mostly by Lottery funding. About a quarter was funded from a Government pot which was set aside purely for creative projects.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2010, 11:26   #83
God Member

My point about 'worthwhile' jobs which you have chosen to misinterpret, was that ALL jobs are worthwhile if they contribute to society.

Garinda brought up the point about getting a 'worthwhile' job. I responded to that by discussing what was considered a 'worthwhile' job. I clearly stated that they all were.

Old 26-10-2010, 11:47   #84
Resting in Peace

Quote:
I have been away so thank you for being patient.

I have been visiting some publicly funded art galleries which wouldn't exist if they weren't funded by the government. I suspect that if there was a move to charge an entrance fee at the Haworth there would be outcry.

This project was funded mostly by Lottery funding. About a quarter was funded from a Government pot which was set aside purely for creative projects.
I do wish people would refrain from using the term Government Pot and Government Funding and substitute the word Government for Taxpayers.

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2010, 14:18   #85
Beacon of light

Art in the community, funded by the taxpayer is like going to the pictures when you have no food in the cupboard, and no money to pay the rent.
Art is not essential, emptying the bins is.

Ok, Art may enhance local suroundings, but it may not be to the taste of everyone.
One persons art is another persons eyesore.

As for local artists having to learn their trade...well, that may be the case, but don't let's spend public money on it when other thin gs are more important.
I am of the opinion that if an artist is good, then people will want to buy their work...if not, then they had better have a plan B up their sleeve.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2010, 14:18   #86
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Might be n idea to ask the taxpayers, what areas this government pot should be directed at, after all they fund it............... suppose thats just a dream though, never been sod all to do wi those who pay it.
Old 26-10-2010, 14:42   #87
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Might be n idea to ask the taxpayers, what areas this government pot should be directed at, after all they fund it............... suppose thats just a dream though, never been sod all to do wi those who pay it.
It's not just the Cavalier that's laughing.

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2010, 14:57   #88
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
The majority of tax payers don't know what's good for them, they haven't had the benefit of a University Education, simple little souls.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2010, 15:57   #89
Give, give, give member

Quote:
My point about 'worthwhile' jobs which you have chosen to misinterpret, was that ALL jobs are worthwhile if they contribute to society.

Garinda brought up the point about getting a 'worthwhile' job. I responded to that by discussing what was considered a 'worthwhile' job. I clearly stated that they all were.
Thank you.

I'm sure it will now be a little easier for Joe and Josephine Bloggs to evaluate the worth of such community art projects, now we know what percentages were funded by the players of the Lotto, and what percentage was funded by the tax payer.

Perhaps, in the interest of fairness, we could now be informed what the actual costs were, and what funds each of the local projects received. Since we now have a thread, specifically to discuss 'the value of public funded art'.

I didn't choose to misinterpret anything. I was merely trying to qualify the three trades you chose to give as examples, and which raised more than my own eyebrows.

I stand by my original comment. If, after years of state funding to study art, people can't find anyone to fund their works commercially, perhaps they need to rethink, and maybe ponder another career option, rather than rely on state funded grants, which are in turn are funded by the hard working tax payer.

If they truly believe they have a talent, and no one wants their skills, they could always continue to work in some freezing garratt. If they starve it's their own decision, to suffer for art.

I'm sure lots of people will be interested to read just how much each project, the map, crocheting, and film cost, when trying to decide whether these things are 'worthwhile'.

Unless it's a secret.

Last edited by garinda; 26-10-2010 at 15:59.
Old 26-10-2010, 16:38   #90
God Member

It's not really a secret - there's no reason why it should be. As has been pointed out Freedom of Information could easily find it out. It has to be accounted for and evaluated. When the final evaluation is completed I will happily share the report with you. I won't be doing the evaluation by the way, it's done independently.

Film makers were paid £3,700 - this included workshops with young people to design characters, workshops with writing groups and other groups to write scripts, interviews with local people and then producing the film. They worked on it for approximately two months, with two people involved.

Crochet artist was paid £2,500 - this was for workshops held in various places including, the library, Haworth Art Gallery and the market, then the completed sculptures. Again, she was working on it for about two months.

Map artist was paid about the same (can't remember exactly and the file is at work). He spent time researching it, talking to people about their favourite places that should be included and then drawing and designing the map.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..