Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree111Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2020, 09:33   #151

Re: The weather around the world has gone mad

Mankind has been trying to invent "Perpetual Motion", since he carved a polo mint out of stone and named it the wheel. Impossible then and still impossible now but pipe dreams have existed in peoples minds since the dawn of time.
Yours, Taddy, the Lancashire Ludite
taddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 12-02-2020, 17:34   #152
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Just had a chicken Kiev, it was very tasty however because of this thread I did a bit of googling it seems that the chickens in it go for slaughter at around six weeks, try as I might I couldn't find the age for Kiev in my tea, maybe there's a scandal out there waiting to be dicovered?
taddy likes this.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2020, 17:56   #153
God Member

Interesting take on St.Greta....

https://apple.news/AlTa3gmEiOza_HMUDF8aUVg
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2020, 07:07   #154

Nothing is interesting about that spoilt little brat!
cashman and monkey hanger like this.
RainbowSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2020, 17:14   #155
God Member

Yes, just why is there no flooding on the Somerset Levels this time around despite Storms Andy and Pandy?

https://www.breitbart.com/europe/202...limate-change/

Get the b****y rivers dredged where necessary.
Old 19-02-2020, 20:15   #156

So down in shrewsbury where it flooded before and has flooded again - despite having ample warning that there are going to be more floods coming, people left stuff low down - important stuff - stuff that cannot be replaced - and it got flooded and ruined.

Why did they, knowing that it was likely to flood - not even make an attempt at moving stuff higher up?
Less likes this.
RainbowSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2020, 09:16   #157
God Member

and they will still build more houses where flooding has took place at some time or another.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2020, 12:22   #158

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey hanger View Post
and they will still build more houses where flooding has took place at some time or another.
Maybe they can house the Aquaphibians from Stingray there

https://www.bing.com/images/search?v...x=0&ajaxhist=0
Jimmy Clitheroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2020, 12:57   #159
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

was on tv the other night, since 2013, 1 in 5 houses have been built on flood plains, thats 20%,so why the hell are they allowed to build em so.? my best guess is backhanders, cos there is NO sensible reason.
monkey hanger likes this.
Old 21-02-2020, 13:46   #160
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
was on tv the other night, since 2013, 1 in 5 houses have been built on flood plains, thats 20%,so why the hell are they allowed to build em so.? my best guess is backhanders, cos there is NO sensible reason.
That may be more down to sloppy research behind some TV so-called documentaries and/or the TV talking heads deliberately misunderstanding the difference between a flood plain and a flood zone.

According to the Environment Agency’s flood mapping, EVERYWHERE is in Flood Zone, which range from Zone 1 (low probability; 1 in 1000) to Zone 3 (high probability; 1:100 chance of flooding in any one year).
So, every house that’s ever been built is in one Flood Zone or another.

It’s virtually impossible to get approval to build houses in Zone 3 and Zone 3b is classed as ‘functional flood plain’.

Where, under exceptional circumstances, new housing is allowed in Zone 2 in my experience there are too many agencies and people involved in decision making to simply get away with bunging some local councillor a brown envelope.

Having said that, the EA’s Flood zone mapping is notoriously unreliable. Basically it works on past flood events and, where there haven’t been any, uses contours and river levels to guesstimate the extent of a 1 in 100 year downpour. Which is why, following extensive flood risk assessments, some housing developments do end up being approved in Zone 2.

The Somerset Levels have been functional flood plains for millennia and were flooded a few years ago, causing great distress to both residents and David Cameron’s government. Afterwards, for once, the latter listened to local knowledge, not theoretical EU eco-dogma, and allowed rivers to be dredged, as they had always been in the past. And, so far in this year of very exceptional rain fall, that area has not seen similar flooding.
Less likes this.
Old 21-02-2020, 16:00   #161
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile on Spencer St View Post
That may be more down to sloppy research behind some TV so-called documentaries and/or the TV talking heads deliberately misunderstanding the difference between a flood plain and a flood zone.

According to the Environment Agency’s flood mapping, EVERYWHERE is in Flood Zone, which range from Zone 1 (low probability; 1 in 1000) to Zone 3 (high probability; 1:100 chance of flooding in any one year).
So, every house that’s ever been built is in one Flood Zone or another.

It’s virtually impossible to get approval to build houses in Zone 3 and Zone 3b is classed as ‘functional flood plain’.

Where, under exceptional circumstances, new housing is allowed in Zone 2 in my experience there are too many agencies and people involved in decision making to simply get away with bunging some local councillor a brown envelope.

Having said that, the EA’s Flood zone mapping is notoriously unreliable. Basically it works on past flood events and, where there haven’t been any, uses contours and river levels to guesstimate the extent of a 1 in 100 year downpour. Which is why, following extensive flood risk assessments, some housing developments do end up being approved in Zone 2.

The Somerset Levels have been functional flood plains for millennia and were flooded a few years ago, causing great distress to both residents and David Cameron’s government. Afterwards, for once, the latter listened to local knowledge, not theoretical EU eco-dogma, and allowed rivers to be dredged, as they had always been in the past. And, so far in this year of very exceptional rain fall, that area has not seen similar flooding.
wasnt a documentary twas on the press report on sky mate,
Old 21-02-2020, 18:44   #162
God Member

Sky news? I rest my case.
Old 21-02-2020, 18:48   #163
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile on Spencer St View Post
Sky news? I rest my case.
pmsl
Old 22-02-2020, 08:16   #164
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
think most of us have said the words, they,re not building houses there are they, over the last few years no matter where we live. around me there has not been a house building scheme thrown out in the end since i moved here 10 years ago. some are suffering from damp after a couple of years and the locals saying we told you so.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..