Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2008, 08:16   #31
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Re: The World will end - ITS SNOWING ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Snicker, snicker ... bunch of wimps
I prefer the term pussy's but yes you are right mate it is pathetic.

LCC or HBC need a good slap for not being prepared road wise ( not sure who is responsible but assume LCC because they do roads - I think they might contract it out to HBC though). Lancashire Education Authority need to sort themselves out some emergency plans that do not involve closing schools after a couple of inches of snow.
Old 03-12-2008, 08:17   #32
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by polly View Post
I cancelled my appointments and worked from home.
So how many of your customers ( or whatever it is you do ) did you let down for a couple of inches of snow?
Old 03-12-2008, 09:07   #33
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Ender View Post
Here in Lymm we have had several heavy falls of hail and rain but no snow. It is now very wet and very cold.
Its not allowed to snow in Lymm is it West Ender
Old 03-12-2008, 09:09   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
So how many of your customers ( or whatever it is you do ) did you let down for a couple of inches of snow?
That's not very fair. There are more issues than just one's own ability to cope with "a couple of inches". Risk management comes into it when you start to consider other people's competence (or lack of it).

I was stuck in weather-affected traffic yesterday. While moving at walking pace, someone slammed into me from a side road because she couldn't stop.

Today, did the same journey over the ice-sheet backroads near Sabden. Those roads were empty, so even though it was more slippy than the main road, I only had my own competence (or lack of it) to worry about. If the journey wasn't necessary, I'd have stayed at home.

Studio25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 09:40   #35
God Member

Quote:
LCC or HBC need a good slap for not being prepared road wise
And there lies one of the major problems today as opposed to the good old days where things didn't stop. There used to be a small army of council workers out gritting roads AND SIDE STREETS, and pavements. You could also find convenient grit bunkers to do it yourself until the mindless morons kept vandalising them all.
Old 03-12-2008, 10:37   #36
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio25 View Post
That's not very fair.
That depends on what she does and if you were let down by her or not.
Old 03-12-2008, 10:39   #37
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
You could also find convenient grit bunkers to do it yourself until the mindless morons kept vandalising them all.
We still have them around here.
Old 03-12-2008, 13:29   #38

Simple answer to that, as many as would have let me down if I had turned up! without exception they all said 'oh I'm glad about that' and then went on to tell me what awful journeys they had already had.
polly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 16:05   #39
Resting in Peace

Quote:
I prefer the term pussy's but yes you are right mate it is pathetic.

LCC or HBC need a good slap for not being prepared road wise ( not sure who is responsible but assume LCC because they do roads - I think they might contract it out to HBC though). Lancashire Education Authority need to sort themselves out some emergency plans that do not involve closing schools after a couple of inches of snow.
Didn't answer this question this morning Neil because I was not quite sure what the set up is now, but I know a man who does (not PB either), so I enquired. It appears that LCC are totally responsible for gritting the roads, HBC may have an agreement to do some gritting but would only do the roads requested to do so by county hall.
Old 03-12-2008, 16:57   #40
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Didn't answer this question this morning Neil because I was not quite sure what the set up is now, but I know a man who does (not PB either), so I enquired. It appears that LCC are totally responsible for gritting the roads, HBC may have an agreement to do some gritting but would only do the roads requested to do so by county hall.
I thought HBC owned the gritters and did what they were told by LCC on contract. Is that correct or am I wrong as usual?

So it was LCC that let us down again.

More schools are shut tomorrow. St. Christopher's decided today they will be shut tomorrow just because bad weather is forecast
Old 03-12-2008, 17:06   #41
Senior Member+

Its not just the roads either. The Pavements in Accrington Town Centre today have been horrendous. Ice everywhere. I struggled walking around, and that was on Broadway. It must be absolutely frightening for Older people who need to get to the shops. Also for Wheelchair Users and people with prams. Surely we have enough resources to make the main shopping areas safe?

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 17:13   #42
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

isnt it supposed to snow tonight or in the morning?
Old 03-12-2008, 17:27   #43
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggy View Post
Its not just the roads either. The Pavements in Accrington Town Centre today have been horrendous. Ice everywhere. I struggled walking around, and that was on Broadway. It must be absolutely frightening for Older people who need to get to the shops. Also for Wheelchair Users and people with prams. Surely we have enough resources to make the main shopping areas safe?

Best Regards - Taggy
I cant see any evidence of gritting anywhere.

And yes twice today i have slipped over luckly I can break my fall but for older and less abled people it must be a nightmare.

Schools closing due to a forcast, Discracefull.
Old 03-12-2008, 17:30   #44
Senior Member+

i got the bus into town today, was awful, i have enough food, gas and electric now so will stay in.

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 17:39   #45
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ***Mr D*** View Post
I cant see any evidence of gritting anywhere.

And yes twice today i have slipped over luckly I can break my fall but for older and less abled people it must be a nightmare.

Schools closing due to a forcast, Discracefull.
What you guys need are sidewalk (oops, sorry Pavement) plows; neat little tracked plows that also put sand (grit, if you prefer) on the sidewalks.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..