Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2008, 17:51   #46
God Member

Re: The World will end - ITS SNOWING ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I thought HBC owned the gritters and did what they were told by LCC on contract. Is that correct or am I wrong as usual?

So it was LCC that let us down again.

More schools are shut tomorrow. St. Christopher's decided today they will be shut tomorrow just because bad weather is forecast
St Oswalds is closed tomorrow based on the forecast. I can see the logic as the forecasts are always 100% correct
Old 03-12-2008, 17:57   #47
Senior Member+

Just had a text from a friend saying Granada reports had announced all local schools would be closed due to the forecasted snow! I can't find anything to back this up, anyone know anything?
Old 03-12-2008, 18:02   #48
Senior Member+

BBC - Lancashire - Travel - School closures across Lancashire

this has a list of ones that shut so far.

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 18:07   #49
Senior Member+

Cheers Em, don't think I will even attempt to get the child to Haslingden tomorrow if it's as predicted, will keep checking that site for info though.
Old 03-12-2008, 18:08   #50
Senior Member+

i wont be walking up that hill tomorrow,its not too bad in the snow but impossible in ice!

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 19:27   #51

Well I asked at home if, with the weather being so bad, I might put my car in the garage!
Family are still laughing at me!!

Does anyone under 80 use their garage for p0arking their car in nowadays?
polly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 20:08   #52
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by polly View Post
Well I asked at home if, with the weather being so bad, I might put my car in the garage!

Doesn't apply as I have neither car nor garage,. though garage would be handy for storing junk in........hahahaah
Old 03-12-2008, 20:17   #53
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by polly View Post

dont have a garage now, but have had 4 with different houses, never used 1 of em fer the car.
Old 03-12-2008, 20:23   #54
God Member

Hollins kids have been told not to go to school of the weather that is forecast happens.

As for the state of the pavements went to Burnley today and theirs are as bad as Accringtons. It is absolutely disgraceful that none of the councils are clearing the snow off the pavements. God knows what they will be like tomorrow if the snow that is forecast appears.
Old 03-12-2008, 20:34   #55
God Member

I bet you all wish you could hibernate -'like what I do'

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 20:56   #56
Resting in Peace

down town the pavements were treacherous, they always used to put a bit of grit on the main shopping streets: what do we pay our council tax for...a bit of snow and ice that's it the country shuts down:
magpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 21:04   #57
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
St. Christopher's decided today they will be shut tomorrow just because bad weather is forecast
Deciding today that they will be closed tomorrow is a bit much.

We don't know how bad it will be until we open the curtains in the morning. They should make the decision tomorrow. We might not even get more snow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsay ormerod View Post
Just had a text from a friend saying Granada reports had announced all local schools would be closed due to the forecasted snow! I can't find anything to back this up, anyone know anything?
It is not true that all local schools have already made the decision to close tomorrow. Our school sent notes out telling parents they may be closed tomorrow if the snow is bad and that it would be mentioned on Radio Lancashire in the morning if so.
Old 03-12-2008, 22:16   #58
Passed away 25-11-09

What has happened to British True Grit? In 1947 I, at the age of 4, used to plod up Aspen Lane in West End (when it was just a country lane) to school with the snow deeper than my wellies. There were power cuts every day, coal and coke were rationed, but the school never shut. During 1947 my dad went to work in Bolton every day. He was in business, on his own, he couldn't afford to be closed for a day.

I slithered my way to and from Paddock House School on many a snowy day. Who remembers those God-awful mortar-board hats we girls had to wear? They were a prime target for snowballs.

In 1962/63 I worked in Bury tax Office. I had to go by bus to Accrington then by steam train to Bury. The unheated trains often stopped at Ramsbottom for a couple of hours and I could be up to 3 hours late for work. I used to be told to work through my lunch-break, to make up some time, but no one ever suggested I should stay at home.

England has become a Nation of wimps. An inch or two of snow and everything grinds to a halt!
Old 03-12-2008, 22:25   #59
God Member

I was eight in 1947 and remember it well.
My stepfather had a tipper truck and the ice and compacted snow was tipped into the sewers to get shut.
Happy days.

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 22:28   #60
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

thanks west ender i would have said Britain has become a nation of wimps, but i am too diplomatic.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..