Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-05-2009, 11:44   #1
God Member

Things children have to find out for themselves....

There are somethings in life which, no matter how often or sternly a child is told 'that's not a good idea' or 'that's a bit dangerous' they still have to find out for themselves.

For example, as Zack was filling a balloon with water the other day, Chris tried to point out to him the faults in his plan. I told Chris to just let him get on with it because there is no amount of 'teaching' that will convince Zack that he's bound to end up soaked unless he actually tries it for himself.

Rose petals soaked in water don't make perfume.
Kicking your brother only leads to him kicking back twice as hard.
Using felt tip pens as make up on your dolls won't come off.
Cutting your dolls hair doesn't make it look better.
Roller skates indoors - enough said!
Leaning back on the chair too far usually ends up with bumping your head.

I'm sure there must be many more examples.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 22-05-2009, 11:46   #2
God Member

Re: Things children have to find out for themselves....

gobbing off at your mum always leads to punishment
Old 22-05-2009, 11:50   #3
Senior Member+

mum tells you to wear a coat/hat/gloves for a reason....do not complain to me that you are cold after you have refused to wear it!

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2009, 12:36   #4

Wait until they're teenagers then. You may as well stop talking!!!

churchman phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2009, 16:05   #5
Resting in Peace

If you keep throwing stones you'll end up with the police looking for you, that was in the 1950s, does not apply today
Old 22-05-2009, 17:20   #6
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

If you do stick you're hand in the fire just because you're friend did it, the sneaky little shish, will go running to his mum and you will be blamed!
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2009, 18:17   #7
God Member

I was actually thinking about this is a semi-serious sort of way the other day .... the whole idea of risk and consequences .... I was listening to some academic on CBC (colonial broadcorping castration) talking about the function of failure in elementary and high schools (substitute your own terms) ... it seems as if failure is no longer an option in most school systems; and the academic thought that this was not a good thing, because we have to, as humans (well, some of us are) take risks in order to learn ... and taking risks involves the possibility of failure ... kind of agree with him .... we can be harming children by protecting them too much, or by shielding them from the consequences of their actions .... (of course, I'm not talking about jumping off cliffs, or playing chicken on the freeway)
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2009, 18:19   #8
Senior Member+

heres one tyler learnt today

dont leave letters from school in your tray!!!!

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2009, 18:49   #9
God Member

Arrow Re: Things children have to find out for themselves....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
I was actually thinking about this is a semi-serious sort of way the other day .... the whole idea of risk and consequences .... I was listening to some academic on CBC (colonial broadcorping castration) talking about the function of failure in elementary and high schools (substitute your own terms) ... it seems as if failure is no longer an option in most school systems; and the academic thought that this was not a good thing, because we have to, as humans (well, some of us are) take risks in order to learn ... and taking risks involves the possibility of failure ... kind of agree with him .... we can be harming children by protecting them too much, or by shielding them from the consequences of their actions .... (of course, I'm not talking about jumping off cliffs, or playing chicken on the freeway)
I think you're right, we now have sports day when nobody loses.

Some things are simply part of growing up.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2009, 20:59   #10
Give, give, give member

Some people who try to get you to go in their car and look for a lost puppy, don't even own a dog.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2009, 07:54   #11
Senior Member+

When your parents try to put you off getting married to the "love of your life" and you go ahead and do it. Only to find out they was right, you shouldnt have married him.
jimmi5bellies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2009, 09:53   #12
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Some people who try to get you to go in their car and look for a lost puppy, don't even own a dog.
Ok. ... I get the point .... but only irresponsible parents don't street-proof their kids ... I'm not talking irresponsible parenting, but parents taking the responsibility of teaching their kids that there is risk in all the major and minor choices they make ... but I do agree that finding out that predatory scumbags walk this earth is not something that any child should find out for himself or herself.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2009, 10:23   #13
Resting in Peace

• Blowing bubble gum bubbles in the wind results in messy face/hair.
  • Shaking a can of coke before opening it can have an explosive effect.
  • Leaving your skateboard/bike outside unattended leads to it being whisked off by aliens overnight.
  • Using a whole bottle of bath foam will not improve your cleanliness.
  • Building sandcastles when the tide is coming in results in early demolition.
  • Telling your mum that it is school photographs the next day is sensible; then everyone later in life will not ask why you were the only one wearing the blue uniform shirt, and not the white one.
  • Being kind to your goldfish and overfeeding it leads to a sad ending for the goldfish.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2009, 12:10   #14
God Member

Kate is your turney sig supposed to be turning at KAT then EX?

wouldnt it be better doing KATE then X?

looks like your called KAT, EX
Old 23-05-2009, 13:04   #15
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashy View Post
Kate is your turney sig supposed to be turning at KAT then EX?

wouldnt it be better doing KATE then X?

looks like your called KAT, EX
LOL Flashy .. have no control I'm afraid. Sometimes it does come down in unison, but no coins at the bottom of me monitor unfortunately ....
katex is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..