Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 31-03-2009, 11:38   #46

Re: things that make me feel old

Thing is what has started to be discussed now is 'personal' problems with pills etc..
That isn't the masses, its a tiny sub-portion
And Yes, Thalidamide! I immediately thought about that EXACTLY why the drug companies cant afford a disaster!
Allergy to penicillin? (as I said it was just one example..not intended as a benchmark) there wouldnt have been scope for an alternative to be created but for testing.
Research IS ongoing, of course it is! Half of the population would be dead now if it werent for drugs created, they would have died at 50
Quality of life would be crap.
Oh and I really know my stuff about this because its exactly where Im at...DOING.
Weighing up the research, chasing up funding, measuring care I give and gathering statistics.
Then...battering the DOH and trying to get the treatment thats available! Oh yes its there in place and accessible for us, you, yours
Be grateful for what we have here
planetsusie is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 31-03-2009, 11:45   #47

and as for the side effects of statins
Pah!
Most of the people taking them would be dead of IHD/CVA etc before they ever got any significant signs of CKD; which they would naturally get anyways in old age...
And that's manageable
But...you have the right to CHOOSE, choose whether to take medication or not.
Its Not compulsary and we are All so lucky to be offered that
We should Be grateful for the offer rather than look for problems, loopholes and a knee jerk response of slagging off and complaining...blah blah.
Just say No...its ok! No one will force you to have a good quality long life...and we will be there to make you feel good and hold onto you when you die withiout pain relief
Old 31-03-2009, 11:50   #48
Beacon of light

That is how threads go...they do become 'personal' because we all have had personal experiences...and it is as a result of this that we can contribute to the thread.

I am grateful......I'm grateful to the people at the Christie for saving my mothers life.
I recognise that without the many improvements in cancer care, she wouldn't be here.......but I also know that she is made miserable by the fact that she has to take medications which make her quality of life poorer.
Is it preferable to have a longer life, but one of poorer quality?
I think we all have to make our choices on this one....my answer would be No.

Your efforts to get funding and to evaluate care and correlate research material are to be applauded......I would never try to make light of those efforts......but I am careful where I place my gratitude
Margaret Pilkington is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2009, 11:54   #49
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planetsusie View Post
Be grateful for what we have here
Oh yes - be grateful that death in UK is free
In the USA they charge for it
Medical system is leading cause of death and injury in US - Health Supreme

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2009, 12:30   #50

Im really sorry that yor Mother is suffering Margaret and relieved she is still with you Margaret
Yes, I understand the personal influencing opinion, I have to step out of my own 'box' on many occasions to get a rounder view.
You were actually a fragment of my history that influenced what and how I do it today Margaret (Pilkington). And thank you.

Talking preventative medicine, the immunisation programme we have in place now is the biggest success and forward movement we have, and that's been proven.
I support and am a part of its' delivery process and the benefits are glaringly obvious, no one needs me to outline the evidence there.
Old 31-03-2009, 12:40   #51
Beacon of light

I am pleased to have been and influence in your life.......and as for the Thanks,(not really necessary) you are very welcome.
Continue doing the work you are doing. I am sure there are folk out there who do appreciate your efforts.
Knowing me, as you do...you will know that I weigh things carefully and make decisions regarding what is right for me.......I will continue in that way because I know what works for me
Margaret Pilkington is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2009, 13:00   #52
God Member

New research reveals that the mechanisms by which vaccines work is based on an incorrect understanding of the functioning of the immune system.
In the thread 'Flu Jab', I said this
"Re: Flu Jab
Research into Gulf War syndrome has revealed a better insight into how vaccines work
How Vaccinations Work - Th1/Th2 Immune Response

What raised my eyebrow, and doubts, was this-
"In individuals in whom the Th1 function predominates, causing many acute inflammations because the cellular immune system is overreactive, a vaccination could have a balancing effect on the immune system and be helpful for that individual.
In individuals in whom the Th2 function predominates, causing few acute inflammations but rather the tendency to chronic allergic or autoimmune inflammations, a vaccination would cause the Th2 function to predominate even more, aggravating the imbalance of the immune system and harming the health of that individual. This is what happened in Gulf War Illness.
The current use of vaccinations in medicine today is essentially a "shotgun" approach which ignores differences among individuals. In such an approach some individuals may be helped and others may be harmed."

We are being increasingly subjected to mass medication
Fluoride, food additives, trans fats, aspartamine, prescription drugs, vaccines.
Has anyone else other than me here, wondered - why?
"It is all done because 'it is good for you' "
Who says? - there is plenty of evidence about now to show you that it isn't 'good for you'
I suspect there is a hidden agenda.
The medical profession do as they are trained
We are conditioned to accept that 'they know best' and have 'our interests at heart'
They are trained to believe that too
Who decides what that training is?

Old 31-03-2009, 13:09   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
New research reveals that the mechanisms by which vaccines work is based on an incorrect understanding of the functioning of the immune system.
In the thread 'Flu Jab', I said this
"Re: Flu Jab
Research into Gulf War syndrome has revealed a better insight into how vaccines work
How Vaccinations Work - Th1/Th2 Immune Response

What raised my eyebrow, and doubts, was this-
"In individuals in whom the Th1 function predominates, causing many acute inflammations because the cellular immune system is overreactive, a vaccination could have a balancing effect on the immune system and be helpful for that individual.
In individuals in whom the Th2 function predominates, causing few acute inflammations but rather the tendency to chronic allergic or autoimmune inflammations, a vaccination would cause the Th2 function to predominate even more, aggravating the imbalance of the immune system and harming the health of that individual. This is what happened in Gulf War Illness.
The current use of vaccinations in medicine today is essentially a "shotgun" approach which ignores differences among individuals. In such an approach some individuals may be helped and others may be harmed."

We are being increasingly subjected to mass medication
Fluoride, food additives, trans fats, aspartamine, prescription drugs, vaccines.
Has anyone else other than me here, wondered - why?
"It is all done because 'it is good for you' "
Who says? - there is plenty of evidence about now to show you that it isn't 'good for you'
I suspect there is a hidden agenda.
The medical profession do as they are trained
We are conditioned to accept that 'they know best' and have 'our interests at heart'
They are trained to believe that too
Who decides what that training is?

The copy/paste response you prosituted from someone else I havent bothered to read
That may sound rude and disregarding
Its not the intention.
I can google anything to back up any arguement
What I have said, researched and worked for is evidence based and Im absolutely certain you have no fundamental medical training.
Old 31-03-2009, 13:09   #54

in other words I wouldn't rely on you to treat me...but know people would rely on me.
Old 31-03-2009, 13:12   #55

Anyways
'Things that make me feel old'

When I go the make up counter n they immediately offer me the anti-aging, wrinkle removing cream filled with quasi-scientific guff
Old 31-03-2009, 13:15   #56
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planetsusie View Post
The copy/paste response you prosituted from someone else I havent bothered to read
That may sound rude and disregarding
Its not the intention.
I can google anything to back up any arguement
What I have said, researched and worked for is evidence based and Im absolutely certain you have no fundamental medical training.
I quoted my own posting there.
Another problem is revealed by your response -
the closed mind attitude of current medical practice who dismiss research findings when it doesn't suit their 'trained' way of thinking.

Old 31-03-2009, 13:19   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
I quoted my own posting there.
Another problem is revealed by your response -
the closed mind attitude of current medical practice who dismiss research findings when it doesn't suit their 'trained' way of thinking.
'problem'?
What strange way to describe the way i do research and HAVE ACTUALLY implemented care standards

hmmmm...not a quick google...
Thats the 'problem' with untrained novices who haven't done targeted reasearch and training...That actually makes me feel young
Thank you
Old 31-03-2009, 13:19   #58
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

can i ask how long research is carried out on new drugs? n also is it always carried out on humans?
Old 31-03-2009, 13:25   #59
God Member

Dear Susie, I have no doubt that you chose nursing as a profession because you care about the people you treat.
I only ask you to not blindly accept current medical practice as being correct and always having a good outcome.
I have no doubt that you have, quite unintentionally, made some people sicker than before, please be realistic and accept that.

Old 31-03-2009, 13:34   #60

I dont Maraget
Im taught to question and thank you very much for your thoughts and ideas
I also believe many 'natural remedies' work and wholly support meditation techniques etc..
It balancing and responding appropriately to everyone as an individual and Im really impressed by the fact that you are just that and prepared to forward what you believe because...that will also be right for someone else and I may be able to grab a bit of that and pass it on

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..