Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2009, 10:01   #16
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Re: Things the Tories have not done for us

Things the Tories have not done for us:-

Lied about W.M.D. just so we can back the Americans in a War against terror that is killing our troops and we can't possibly win it because we are creating more enemies as each day goes on.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 04-08-2009, 10:01   #17
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
So you seriously think that if Labour win the next election, they won't be forced into cuts by the frightening fiscal deficit that now hangs over this country? Dream on, Mancie, dream on...
I don't accept that any scale of debt means this Government or any other have to make cuts in the NHS...that and defence is not to be messed about..and I don't believe that cuts make for a better service.
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 10:03   #18
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
they may well have to cut certain things who knows? the point to me is simple, they would NEVER be there to cut, had Labour Not Introduced em.
Too right they wouldn't. But in view of the financial crisis, cuts will be coming whoever's in power. Personally, I'd get rid of our so-called "independent" nuclear deterrent, but the Labour party don't believe in things like that anymore.
Old 04-08-2009, 10:04   #19
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post

Lied about W.M.D. just so we can back the Americans in a War against terror that is killing our troops and we can't possibly win it because we are creating more enemies as each day goes on.
yeh true but what odds do ya give if any other party had been in power, they would have rejected backing Bush?
Old 04-08-2009, 10:09   #20
God Member

Quote:

I'll go along with the war against Iraq being a lie.. but we already had the enemies that declared war on the USA and Britain ..we just did not understand before 9/11... do you think we would all live in a lovely world if nothing had been done?
Old 04-08-2009, 10:10   #21
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
yeh true but what odds do ya give if any other party had been in power, they would have rejected backing Bush?
I don't know, but other parties weren't in power so we will never know will we? Which leaves the blame squarely at Labours door I'm afraid.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 10:20   #22
God Member

Quote:
I don't know, but other parties weren't in power so we will never know will we? Which leaves the blame squarely at Labours door I'm afraid.
Yep..so add up the odds n' evens ...an illegall war against Iraq..compered to reasonable health care and freedom..or cuts in everything ..it's a serious decision and I take the care and freedom.
Old 04-08-2009, 10:44   #23
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
everything is unfair for you Gayle.. everything is let see and I can see the other side of the story.. there are only two sides when it comes to cuts in benefits and cuts to the NHS..those who want those cuts and those who don't... pick your side or sit on yer fence.

It's not that clear cut - I wish it was. In politics it's essential to have an opposition party who challenge the government. If the government put forward a bill or a policy or whatever, it is the opposition's job to challenge it and hopefully put forward an alternative solution. In the cases that you've listed, the opposition may have voted against the bill but they haven't voted against the principle of it.

I'm not on the fence here - I'm telling you straight that I think you're wrong on this one.

It's like saying the minimum wage should be £10 an hour - the opposition might do their sums and say that was wrong, it should be £9 per hour, so they vote against the increase. It doesn't mean that they are opposed to the principle of the minimum wage or even the principle of an increase, it just means that their sums tell them it should be a different figure so they have to vote against it. Btw - that's just an example, the figures are not correct.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 10:47   #24
God Member

So, with your argument are you saying that you believe a Tory government will

encourage child labour
have people pay for education for all over 6yrs of age
decommission the National Health Service
abolish a national pension scheme
sell off all council housing
abolish temporally unemployment benefit
abolish Legal aid
abolish child benefits
abolish a winter pension payment

Even if the Tory opposition voted against the government on all these issues. You can't judge the next government on what governments of the past have done.

Old 04-08-2009, 10:54   #25
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post

Even if the Tory opposition voted against the government on all these issues. You can't judge the next government on what governments of the past have done.
utter garbage, whilst its too iffy fer em to reverse these things, the old mentality is still alive n well.
Old 04-08-2009, 10:59   #26
God Member

Quote:
utter garbage, whilst its too iffy fer em to reverse these things, the old mentality is still alive n well.
You're possibly right but I'm fed up of politics that keeps knocking the opposition instead of coming out and saying what will actually happen and how it will happen.

It's not good politics to slag your opponent off and blame the people who ran the party twenty years ago without saying how you'd do things differently. But that's all that seems to happen these days.

This is why I'm so dissillusioned with politics in general. Everyone spends so much time knocking the other parties that they rarely actually stand up and say what they would do for us.

Old 04-08-2009, 11:07   #27
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
You're possibly right but I'm fed up of politics that keeps knocking the opposition instead of coming out and saying what will actually happen and how it will happen.

It's not good politics to slag your opponent off and blame the people who ran the party twenty years ago without saying how you'd do things differently. But that's all that seems to happen these days.

This is why I'm so dissillusioned with politics in general. Everyone spends so much time knocking the other parties that they rarely actually stand up and say what they would do for us.
join the club gayle, i can understand that, ive been dissillusioned with the ******* fer oer a decade now, n theres many more people just the same.
Old 04-08-2009, 11:44   #28
JFT96

Well the Tories haven't broken the Covenant with our armed forces.
Closed down all the council owned Old Peoples Homes in Lancashire.

Steve Hogarth, lead singer Marillion
Boeing Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 11:50   #29
God Member

but they will get rid of the national minimuim wage.....
Old 04-08-2009, 11:51   #30
God Member

Quote:
It's not that clear cut - I wish it was. In politics it's essential to have an opposition party who challenge the government. If the government put forward a bill or a policy or whatever, it is the opposition's job to challenge it and hopefully put forward an alternative solution. In the cases that you've listed, the opposition may have voted against the bill but they haven't voted against the principle of it.

I'm not on the fence here - I'm telling you straight that I think you're wrong on this one.

It's like saying the minimum wage should be £10 an hour - the opposition might do their sums and say that was wrong, it should be £9 per hour, so they vote against the increase. It doesn't mean that they are opposed to the principle of the minimum wage or even the principle of an increase, it just means that their sums tell them it should be a different figure so they have to vote against it. Btw - that's just an example, the figures are not correct.
Yeah..so are you in favour of cuts or not?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..