Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-08-2021, 00:09   #1
Full Member+

Things to do on the Bank Holiday Weekend

So it's a Bank Holiday Weekend, so what's your plans?

I'm going to the Keighley and Worth Valley Railway (on Saturday) as they are celebrating The Railway Children film, the 50th Anniversary was last year but this year they also filmed The Railway Children Returns.

On Sunday and Bank Holiday Monday the Flying Scotsman steam train is visiting the East Lancs Railway. I have tickets to ride behind the most famous steam engine in the world on Bank Holiday Monday.

What can I say I like my steam engines, I'm almost retired (I work 2 days a week) so I spend my time out with my camera. I've been doing a lot of videos recently, alas I don't know how to post videos here on Accy Web, but if anyone does please let me know.
shillelagh likes this.
Old 27-08-2021, 07:46   #2

Re: Things to do on the Bank Holiday Weekend

Reminds me of when I was a young thing (many moons ago) and I used to hang over the bridges with the other children collecting 'namers' as the trains steamed their way under us. I somehow think the first two numbers were 88 followed by three or four more. Not sure what we got out of this but it was good fun.
dotti34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2021, 10:05   #3
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryewolf90 View Post
So it's a Bank Holiday Weekend, so what's your plans?

I'm going to the Keighley and Worth Valley Railway (on Saturday) as they are celebrating The Railway Children film, the 50th Anniversary was last year but this year they also filmed The Railway Children Returns.

On Sunday and Bank Holiday Monday the Flying Scotsman steam train is visiting the East Lancs Railway. I have tickets to ride behind the most famous steam engine in the world on Bank Holiday Monday.

What can I say I like my steam engines, I'm almost retired (I work 2 days a week) so I spend my time out with my camera. I've been doing a lot of videos recently, alas I don't know how to post videos here on Accy Web, but if anyone does please let me know.
Goody...your plans mean that we get to see your lovely pictures....and it makes us feel like we have been out there with you.

Since the lockdown I have not ventured far...I have only been on public transport once....and have not had a sniff of sea air.
I am still not too confident of going to Southport or Latham on the bus.
I was going to book a day trip out....but again.....feel that perhaps it is better to stay close to home.
So I have nothing very exciting planned....my craftroom (back bedroom) could do with a sort out.....and my clothes could do with a cull too....the charity shop could get the benefit of this.
When I set about doing this kind of thing though, I get side tracked.
So there won’t be pictures of MY bank holiday doings....but I hope you will make up for that.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2021, 10:09   #4
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

i have used buses more than the car since the pandemic margaret, i tend to use them when not many on them, works for me anyway.
Old 27-08-2021, 10:43   #5
God Member

well i know what i,ll be doing on bank holiday monday. something i have practised with success on all spring and summer bank holidays. staying in the house and avoiding traffic jams and crowds. when i worked i always tried to work these days and have the benefit of time and a half and a day off when it was quieter.
DaveinGermany likes this.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2021, 10:53   #6
God Member

[QUOTE=Ryewolf90;1256955]So it's a Bank Holiday Weekend, so what's your plans?

bit of advice. if you can park in keighley for your train. its free parking at the railway station there and saves the real hassle of parking at the other stations on the line. if you need to park in haworth look for the small car park past the station with the entrance about 50 yards on the right. lots of tourists miss this prefering to park closer to the village. avoid oakworth like the plague and oxenhope is only a little better. at least you,ll have the privelege of passing chez monkey between ingrow and damems stations.
Ryewolf90 likes this.
Old 27-08-2021, 11:19   #7
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

My plans are same as Monkey Hanger dont go out. i hate it when the roads are chocker. and the brats are flocking.though must confess its usually crap parents that cause em to carry on like they do,
Old 27-08-2021, 13:50   #8
Full Member+

Thanks Monkey Hanger, Oxenhope isn't too bad as it's got a large overflow car park that very few people use.
Old 27-08-2021, 14:41   #9
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
i have used buses more than the car since the pandemic margaret, i tend to use them when not many on them, works for me anyway.

It takes a good while to get to Southport and Lytham...it is an hour to Preston and then another hour and a bit to Southport and Lytham so even setting off early means that it is late morning or dinner time before you get there...and I sometimes think that it is not worth it.....so I haven't gone anywhere.
I can't say it is because I am scared of catching something..I guess i have gone lazy
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2021, 15:01   #10
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

ah didnt think i dont go more than about 15/20 miles on em.
Old 27-08-2021, 19:13   #11
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey hanger View Post
when i worked i always tried to work these days and have the benefit of time and a half and a day off when it was quieter.

You sure you're from Hartlepool? You seem "Proper Yorkingshire".
taddy and monkey hanger like this.
Old 27-08-2021, 19:14   #12
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotti34 View Post
Reminds me of when I was a young thing (many moons ago) and I used to hang over the bridges with the other children collecting 'namers' as the trains steamed their way under us. I somehow think the first two numbers were 88 followed by three or four more. Not sure what we got out of this but it was good fun.

Ah, "Spotter Alert".
Old 29-08-2021, 08:46   #13
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
You sure you're from Hartlepool? You seem "Proper Yorkingshire".
the time and a half is only secondary to working bank holidays. would do the same for just half time to avoid it. was actually in hartlepool yesterday but found places only the locals go to just to avoid the day trippers. only had one bit of road rage in cutting up some other old ****** who thought 35mph was a sufficiant speed to drive on a 60mph maximum speed limit road. really hope i spoiled their day.
DaveinGermany likes this.
Old 29-08-2021, 23:00   #14
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey hanger View Post
only had one bit of road rage in cutting up some other old ****** who thought 35mph was a sufficiant speed to drive on a 60mph maximum speed limit road.

One of my biggest peeves is people not going even close to the road limit when it's safe to do so, the A59 is the worst in my opinion, especially on Sundays and Bank Holidays - farm traffic excluded. It's also all the more frustrating on roads where there's very little overtaking opportunities...
taddy and monkey hanger like this.
Old 30-08-2021, 08:24   #15
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryewolf90 View Post
One of my biggest peeves is people not going even close to the road limit when it's safe to do so, the A59 is the worst in my opinion, especially on Sundays and Bank Holidays - farm traffic excluded. It's also all the more frustrating on roads where there's very little overtaking opportunities...
some actually hold up farm traffic. use the A59 regularly a few miles from skipton to the outskirts of harrogate. its bad but nowhere as bad as the A65 between skipton and settle. only 2 places to safely overtake and then you reach a wide straight road to pass. there you will encounter a regular camera van to catch you doing something thats really safe. overtaking as quickly as possible and then drop your speed.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..