Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-04-2004, 15:43   #1
Senior Member+

This is nice to read

Balls, sand and beer

When things in your life seem almost too much to handle, when 24 hours in a day are not enough, remember the mayonnaise jar........and the beer.

A professor stood before his philosophy class and had some items in front of him. When the class began, wordlessly, he picked up a very large and empty mayonnaise jar and proceeded to fill it with golf balls. He then asked the students if the jar was full. They agreed that it was. So the professor then picked up a box of pebbles and poured them into the jar. He shook the jar lightly. The pebbles rolled into the open areas between the golf balls. He then asked the students again if the jar was full. They agreed it was. The professor next picked up a box of sand and poured it into the jar. Of course, the sand filled up everything else. He asked once more if the jar was full. The students responded with an unanimous "yes." The professor then
produced two cans of beer from under the table and poured the entire contents into the jar, effectively filling the empty Space between the sand.

The students laughed. "Now," said the professor, as the laughter subsided, "I want you to recognize that this jar represents your life. The golf balls are the important things -your family, your children, your health, your friends, your favourite passions-things that if everything else was lost and
only they remained, your life would still be full. The pebbles are the other things that matter like your job, your house, your car. The sand is everything else-the small stuff. If you put the sand into the jar first," he continued, "there is no room for the pebbles or the golf balls. The same goes for life. If you spend all your time and energy on the small stuff, you
will never have room for the things that are important to you. Pay attention to the things that are critical to your happiness. Play with your children.
Take time to get medical check-ups.
Take your partner out to dinner.
Play another 18.
There will always be time to clean the house, and fix the
disposal.
Take care of the golf balls first, the things that really matter.
Set your priorities. The rest is just sand." One of the students raised her hand and inquired what the beer represented.

The professor smiled. "I'm glad you asked. It just goes to show you that no matter how full your life may seem, there's always room for a couple of beers...!!"

Nice one, eh?
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 13-04-2004, 15:52   #2
Senior Member+

Re: This is nice to read

how the mood changes
AccyStanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2004, 16:00   #3
Senior Member+

Atarah, you had me thinking you were being philosophical there for a minute.How wrong i was. where is the photo? lol
Old 13-04-2004, 17:03   #4
Roy
Administrator

a good read that, made me smile...have some karma!
Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2004, 17:42   #5
Senior Member+

Very amusing,and not entirely untrue;ask the other half when he returns from his golf break in Scotland[jammy git!]
Old 13-04-2004, 18:23   #6

I love it very good indeed!

People work for money!
If you want loyalty, get a dog!!!
WINGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2004, 18:44   #7
Accy Goddess

Brilliant Atarah.
ANNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2004, 19:26   #8
Accrington Web Mascot

I'm confused - Forrest Gump said life was like a box of chocolates!
ShortStuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2004, 21:14   #9

Very good, you can have some more karma!
Old 24-04-2004, 09:14   #10
mez
God Member

that was an exellent piece of philosophy atarah, & might i add very true on all counts

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..