Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-03-2011, 14:23   #106
Give, give, give member

Re: This isn't racist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
And there's no reason why I should or shouldn't condemn them on here - it's absolutely nothing to do with me what their policies are and how they operate. As long as there is no discrimination in the Arts Centre then I can't and won't comment on what they do elsewhere.
Do you only have one hat nowadays?

That being the Civic Arts Centre one, and no personal opinions, when it comes to what's right or wrong, outside of the small sphere of the arts?

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 13-03-2011, 14:30   #107
Give, give, give member

Quote:
It wasn't - I don't think anyone there considered it. It certainly wasn't counted or monitored in anyway.
Then why mention it at all?

Quote:
The audience was about half split between white and asian.

Old 13-03-2011, 14:36   #108
Give, give, give member

In the context that the Civic Arts Centre promoted the event, what does 'in association with the Lancashire-wide Network for Ethnic Minority Women present...' mean?

Did they hire the room, the theatre group?

Old 13-03-2011, 14:38   #109
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Then why mention it at all?
I'm beginning to wish I hadn't. I was just trying to say that the audience was mixed and there was no discrimination at that event. I mentioned it because I thought you might be interested.

As for my views - I have plenty of them. I just see no reason why I should have to publically condemn or support a group that I have connection with, other than they hired my venue to put on an interesting play.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2011, 14:41   #110
God Member

Quote:
In the context that the Civic Arts Centre promoted the event, what does 'in association with the Lancashire-wide Network for Ethnic Minority Women present...' mean?

Did they hire the room, the theatre group?
As far as I was aware for the hire, it was hired by Lancashire County Council's Youth Service for the play. They brought the theatre company in.

As it was an interesting play and it was open to the public, I put it on the website.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2011, 14:51   #111
Give, give, give member

Quote:
As far as I was aware for the hire, it was hired by Lancashire County Council's Youth Service for the play.
No mention at all of them, on the posters the Civic Arts Centre promoted.

Just 'New Shoes Theatre in association with the Lancashire-wide Network for Ethnic Minority Women present...'

Old 13-03-2011, 14:55   #112
Beacon of light

Quote:
If that is the case, keeping such women in groups that are openly separatist, along racial lines, will only add to, and further their isolation from society at large.

Positive discrimination never solves anything, in the long-term.

Most times it just masks real problems.

Yes, we all face different difficulties in life.

But ultimately we are all the same, at least in this country, and should always be treated as equals.

I agree with you G.
If it is a women's group then all women, regardless of their ethnicity should be allowed to attend.
And yes, women of all ethnicities encounter problems in their lives......who is to say that these problems cannot be overcome by a concerted effort, and the experiences of other women, again regardless of their colour creed or ethnicity.......doesn't adversity help people to build bridges?
It would certainly help to achieve integration.....except that the menfolk from these ethnic backgrounds may prohibit their women from attending.

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 13-03-2011 at 15:02.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2011, 09:29   #113
Resting in Peace

Quote:
As far as I was aware for the hire, it was hired by Lancashire County Council's Youth Service for the play. They brought the theatre company in.

As it was an interesting play and it was open to the public, I put it on the website.
I find it hard to justify things such as these being backed by the LCC Youth Service when that same service are being asked to make huge savings on expenditure, so much so the the youth club in Ossy could be under threat
Old 15-03-2011, 09:30   #114
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Unfortunately G. there are literally thousands of these none jobs, (however did we manage without them) in every walk of society but nowhere will you find any with the word WHITE in the title
Chirpy chirpy cheep cheep yeh
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2011, 18:21   #115
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
Chirpy chirpy cheep cheep
Yes, there are always those who'd rather whistle, and turn their back on something they'd rather not see.

Old 16-03-2011, 09:00   #116
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Several posts have been deleted from this thread and after a discussion between the moderators it has been decided they will remain deleted.

Please do not discuss the subject of the removed posts. If you feel the need to discuss this decision then please do it by PM with the mods and not by posting on thread as stated in the site rules.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..