Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-02-2011, 19:26   #16
Senior Member+

Re: This Sceptred Isle

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Dd he have a sign on his hat saying Jobsworth, Gremlin
More than likely but as I wanted to get my passengers to the hotel in time I didn't want to argue.

I did mention that my parents were married two years before I was born but my courier told me to button it as we had a hotel and a meal to get to.

Steeljacks father was another chap I worked with at the same tour company. I bet he would have told him what his Nationality was and stuck to being ENGLISH.
Old 26-02-2011, 02:05   #17
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post

Steeljacks father was another chap I worked with at the same tour company. I bet he would have told him what his Nationality was and stuck to being ENGLISH.
Race was a 'funny' thing with my Dad , he had no time for Aussies , but Canadians particulary from Nova Scotia and the Maritimes were great folks ..... went back to WW2 and his days in the Navy . Same with the Germans , he and my Mum were once on holiday in Spain , the hotel 50/50 Brits and Germans, they got talking to some Germans of a similar age because of his tattoos (think they were from the German equivalent of the British Legion) , found they had a lot of common memories, war in the Med etc. and reckoned it was one of the best holidays they ever had.
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2011, 09:59   #18
Resting in Peace

I once got rather friendly with a few Germans on holiday in Spain, they wanted to know how I managed to get our towels on the sunbeds before they did
Old 26-02-2011, 16:35   #19
Give, give, give member

Quote:
I once got rather friendly with a few Germans on holiday in Spain, they wanted to know how I managed to get our towels on the sunbeds before they did
Blanket bombing?

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2011, 17:09   #20
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Funny old thing that ! They can't see the humour we derive from that particular stereotype, even showing them the Carling advert didn't raise a chortle from our Teutonics.

Mind you, they call us "Englander" irrespective of which home Nation we profess to hail from which really winds the Jockeens up ! My how we chuckle when our pet Jock is spitting feathers & vitriol & being fit to burst at being called English.
DaveinGermany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2011, 12:57   #21
God Member

Just read in the "Guardian" ... sorry Jaysay, the "Daily Mail" is just too cerebral for me .... that many Britions would support an anti-immigration stance. What surprised me was the strength of the support among black and muslim respondants
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2011, 20:35   #22
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
that many Britions would support an anti-immigration stance. What surprised me was the strength of the support among black and muslim respondants
Not really when you think about it Eric, many of these blacks & muslims are probably the originals & up to second generations who originally arrived in UK in the 40's & 50's who have found their niche, accepted our peculiar British ways & see themselves as British having grown up, lived, worked & got their education here.

The majority of pre immigration indigenous (white Christian) don't have an issue with these folk & accept them as being as British as we are. Most of the animosity is geared to the late comers who expect us to change our ways to suit their attitudes. We've had years & years of immigration, integration & gradual dilution of our native stock but done carefully & over time, whereas the last lot has been enforced on us at pace & under duress ! That's the difference & hence the resentment.
DaveinGermany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2011, 19:08   #23
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
Not really when you think about it Eric, many of these blacks & muslims are probably the originals & up to second generations who originally arrived in UK in the 40's & 50's who have found their niche, accepted our peculiar British ways & see themselves as British having grown up, lived, worked & got their education here.

The majority of pre immigration indigenous (white Christian) don't have an issue with these folk & accept them as being as British as we are. Most of the animosity is geared to the late comers who expect us to change our ways to suit their attitudes. We've had years & years of immigration, integration & gradual dilution of our native stock but done carefully & over time, whereas the last lot has been enforced on us at pace & under duress ! That's the difference & hence the resentment.
That did cross my mind ... so, we can suggest the possiblitiy that "Englishness" is more a state of mind than it is a question of color, or of what god one wished to worship, ignore, or deny. It looks like it is time to slow down on immigration and fast-track integration.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2011, 21:54   #24
Give, give, give member

This royal throne of kings, this sceptred isle,
This earth of majesty, this seat of Mars,
This other Eden, demi-paradise,
This fortress built by Nature for herself
Against infection and the hand of war,
This happy breed of men, this little world,
This precious stone set in the silver sea,
Which serves it in the office of a wall
Or as a moat defensive to a house,
Against the envy of less happier lands,
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England.

If someone set John O'Gaunt's speech in Shakespeare's Richard II, to some rousing music, I'd much rather sing that, than the dreary dirge God Save the German Woman.

Old 28-02-2011, 23:30   #25
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
Race was a 'funny' thing with my Dad , he had no time for Aussies , but Canadians particulary from Nova Scotia and the Maritimes were great folks ..... went back to WW2 and his days in the Navy . Same with the Germans , he and my Mum were once on holiday in Spain , the hotel 50/50 Brits and Germans, they got talking to some Germans of a similar age because of his tattoos (think they were from the German equivalent of the British Legion) , found they had a lot of common memories, war in the Med etc. and reckoned it was one of the best holidays they ever had.
National Pride and cultural identity are all conditioned in us by parents, relatives and peer groups. Everybody wants to belong and fit in with people around them, so we all are prepared to play lip service to local and national identity. However with the large amounts of immigrants coming in, there are so many that they aren't prepared to merge into our identity and many are trying to get us to change to their identity and infact don't need to fit in as they bring their own!

Last edited by kestrelx; 28-02-2011 at 23:32.
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 01:23   #26
God Member

Question , anyone know what they played when/if a Scots athelete won a Gold medal at last years Commonwealth games , did they use 'God Save the Queen' or 'Flower of Scotland. Seems everytime I see the Scottish Rugby team play , even overseas in France they use 'Flower of Scotland'
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 07:16   #27
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
Question , anyone know what they played when/if a Scots athelete won a Gold medal at last years Commonwealth games , did they use 'God Save the Queen' or 'Flower of Scotland. Seems everytime I see the Scottish Rugby team play , even overseas in France they use 'Flower of Scotland'
They used "Flower of Scotland" in 2010, at the Commonwealth Games, but prior to that they used "Scotland the Brave". England used "Jerusalem", Wales "Land of My Fathers" Northern Ireland "Londonderry Air".

The Isle of Man had an anthem too. It is translated as "O Land of Our Birth". Contrary to popular belief, it is NOT "Jake The Peg."
gynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 07:41   #28
Give, give, give member

I thought Scotland used Shang-a-Lang by the Bay City Rollers, when they won a medal.

Though I've yet to hear it myself, to confirm this.

Old 01-03-2011, 07:55   #29
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gynn View Post
The Isle of Man had an anthem too. It is translated as "O Land of Our Birth". Contrary to popular belief, it is NOT "Jake The Peg."
It's printed in the front of their telephone directories.

They have a very strong island identity and hate being lumped in with the UK.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 08:02   #30
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
It's printed in the front of their telephone directories.

They have a very strong island identity and hate being lumped in with the UK.
I think it's nice how they put a little sock and shoe on all those spare cats' tails, and dress them up like legs.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..